Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Great defense

Great defense

Three error's in six games.As a another zoner put it,its nice seeing Gonzalez field a routine grounder knowing that he'll field and throw with ease.Edwins defense has improved as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great defense

I'm not sure if this theory is worth anything, but I was just thinking.... does adding a great defensive player at a couple important positions help out the rest of the team defense?

For example.... Gonzo at Short, and Freel in center. Obviously they are a huge upgrade from Lopez or Clayton and Griff, but if those guys are making plays does it effect the other players?

does adding a great defensive player at a couple important positions help out the rest of the team defense?
    Hell yes it does.

By peer pressure?

Catch the ball. Everyone else is doing it. Its the cool thing to do

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

That's what I love about Redszone. We leave no stone unturned. With all the RF, E, ZR, ZZZZzzzzzzz stuff, we still turn to this.

By peer pressure?

Catch the ball. Everyone else is doing it. Its the cool thing to do
    Lol, actually it's kinda funny but it's true.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    but if those guys are making plays does it effect the other players?
    I would have to think so. It has to be frustrating to see the same player make a boneheaded play, over and over and over. I'd also think that watching an inning implode or a lead evaporate because player X screwed up a play again has to be very dishartening.

Also, from a orginizational behavior standpoint, if a culture exists where players who continiously screw up are allowed to operate without being benched, or publiclly disciplined, etc the players with a better skill set are going to become unmotivated over time. Why should they excell when the bar of mediocrity is set so low?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I'm not sure if this theory is worth anything, but I was just thinking.... does adding a great defensive player at a couple important positions help out the rest of the team defense?

For example.... Gonzo at Short, and Freel in center. Obviously they are a huge upgrade from Lopez or Clayton and Griff, but if those guys are making plays does it effect the other players?
    yep because:

1. it moves poorer defenders from the premium defensive positions so in essence the weaker defenders get to play easier positions.

2. every out that Gonzo/Freel convert this year that Lopez/Griffey didn't last year theoretically translates into fewer chances for poorer defenders to get opportunities because Reds opponents should get relatively fewer PAs overall....

Little advantages like these cumulatively add up to wins...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I don't know of any simple stat to show it as the errors would otherwise be charged to other players, but a great defensive first baseman can make the whole infield better by snaring errant throws.

Gonz at SS was a huge pick up for us. He doesn't look like too bad of a hitter either. Especially in that 7-8 hole. I like the make up of the team. As far as Defense Dunn and EE are playing better and even Ross behind the plate has made a couple nice throws. Griffey seems to be getting RF ok and the old guys at 1st are doing well. Conine's bat so far makes me say Aurilia who!!!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by knuckler View Post
    I don't know of any simple stat to show it as the errors would otherwise be charged to other players, but a great defensive first baseman can make the whole infield better by snaring errant throws.
    A good *fielding* first baseman -- a guy who can pick up grounders, make diving catches -- isn't nearly as important as a good *receiving* 1B -- a big target who can reach errant throws.

Rich Aurilia could field grounders at 1B, but his inability to catch errant throws made him a lousy first baseman. OTOH, Sean Casey wasn't great at fielding but was a very good receiver. From what I've seen, so is Adam Dunn.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I would have to think so. It has to be frustrating to see the same player make a boneheaded play, over and over and over. I'd also think that watching an inning implode or a lead evaporate because player X screwed up a play again has to be very dishartening.

Also, from a orginizational behavior standpoint, if a culture exists where players who continiously screw up are allowed to operate without being benched, or publiclly disciplined, etc the players with a better skill set are going to become unmotivated over time. Why should they excell when the bar of mediocrity is set so low?
    This is why Felipe Lopez is no longer with the club.

Turn Off Ads?