Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How about Javy as the starting catcher?

How about Javy as the starting catcher?

??

Sure Ross had an amazing year last season (so much so that we get rid of LaRue). However, if you look at career stats (both offense and defense), I think I'd rather have Javy as the starting catcher...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about Javy as the starting catcher?

Ross' early struggles are alot more alarming to me than anyone else's. Last season SCREAMED career year and if I'm correct he was not too productive after the All Star break last season. At times in this first week, he's looked completely clueless at the plate. Even when he's going good, I've never seen anyone swing through more (what appear to be) hitable fastballs than David Ross.

Signing him to a two year deal means they will likely give him every chance to play through these early season struggles. He's got good pop in his bat so when he hits a hot-streak he can carry you but if he continues to struggle too much longer, I think you're going to have to have Javy get more and more starts.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

If worse comes to worse it's a platoon situation betwene Javy and Ross. Worse things could happen.

Ross is going to get more then a week to break out of his slump. Same goes with Phillips.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

To me, it's a crapshoot of mediocrity.

I don't think Valentin necessarily gives you anything more than Ross. The catcher position is a big concern for the future, IMO.

Either way, Johnny Bench is rolling in his ....ummm....crib.

Rem

as long as Javy never bats righthanded then I am OK with whoever plays.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    as long as Javy never bats righthanded then I am OK with whoever plays.
    I believe he got a hit right handed the other day.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Senor Votto

Ross has been sucking it up lately but with some at-bats maybe he'll come out of it. All we need is just a little patience.

Whoops...I thought you meant Lopez for a second!
    Last edited by redsfanfalcon; 04-09-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: For some reason, I thought he meant Lopez...I wasn't thinking...doh!

missed that hit, but it is rare for him to get hits from the right side of the plate... he was pinch hitting the other day and they brought in a lefty and struck him out

Javy is much more valuable on the bench.

Not "off it," mind you.

On it.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Ross isnt helped out at all by being slotted in the eigth spot ahead of the pitcher. Ross is a dead fastball hitter and looks absolutley brutal/clueless on off speed pitches which is all he will see as long as he continues to bat before the pitcher. Id flip-flop Ross and Gonzalez in the 7 and 8 spots. Probably wouldt help out that much (Considering the Career #s for Ross) but its worth a shot. As long as Ross delivers a decent amount of HRs and plays marginal defense he doesnt hurt us too much. He is certainly no Yadier Molina with the bat. (unrelated note- much the same reason I love dunn in the two spot. Whenever Freel gets on its fastball city for Dunn)

I'm not big on Valentin defensively and as a handler of pitchers.

He was the catcher last year when the Lizard had a major melt-down in his last start. Javy just kind of let it all happen without slowing the kid down, talking to him, mixing up pitches, etc. Zero presence behind the plate.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Reds catching staff is a major problem no matter who is out there. Personally, I hope Ross comes around with the bat but I'm not optomistic.

Javy is simply mediocre in every aspect of the position.

And Moeller, Moeller (shaking his head) should be starting every day---in L'ville.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?