Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mr. Redlegs Awards Week 1...

Mr. Redlegs Awards Week 1...

I'm giving my weekly (well my attempt to do so weekly) Mr Redlegs Awards...

1. Starting Rotation and Dick Pole- nice job...ate up innings, made big pitches, went deep into games...interesting to see how Lohse and Belisle do this next go round...plus, any chance to praise Dick Pole is awesome!!

2. The Jerry-atric Platoon...both Hatteberg and Conine have given great AB's all week long...I am hopeful they'll continue to provide production from the 6-hole...

3. Yet-to-be nicknamed SS...we really do need a consensus here, but that guy out as SS has been solid in field (expected) and solid at plate (unexpected)...can he keep it up???...

4. Encarnacion's Expected Excellence...he continues to show he loves hitting with runners on base...1 week of improved defense...he's an allstar in waiting, sample size be damned...

5. Dunn and Griffey when they aren't running from the box...I'm putting both together for my happiness at seeing both use the opposite field as much as they did last week...Griffey popped some up, but the willingness of both to not simply try to pull everything into the teeth of the shift is very exciting to me...now if we can convince both to actually run from contact...

6. The S Boys...who'da thunk??...Santos and Saarloos are proving to have great worth in short relief roles...in fact, Saarloos looks like he's moving to the prime set-up man currently in the pen...wow!!

Congratulations to all the winners

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mr. Redlegs Awards Week 1...

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post

1. Starting Rotation and Dick Pole- nice job...ate up innings, made big pitches, went deep into games...interesting to see how Lohse and Belisle do this next go round...plus, any chance to praise Dick Pole is awesome!!

2. The Jerry-atric Platoon...both Hatteberg and Conine have given great AB's all week long...I am hopeful they'll continue to provide production from the 6-hole...

3. Yet-to-be nicknamed SS...we really do need a consensus here, but that guy out as SS has been solid in field (expected) and solid at plate (unexpected)...can he keep it up???...

4. Encarnacion's Expected Excellence...he continues to show he loves hitting with runners on base...1 week of improved defense...he's an allstar in waiting, sample size be damned...

5. Dunn and Griffey when they aren't running from the box...I'm putting both together for my happiness at seeing both use the opposite field as much as they did last week...Griffey popped some up, but the willingness of both to not simply try to pull everything into the teeth of the shift is very exciting to me...now if we can convince both to actually run from contact...

6. The S Boys...who'da thunk??...Santos and Saarloos are proving to have great worth in short relief roles...in fact, Saarloos looks like he's moving to the prime set-up man currently in the pen...wow!!

Griffey and Dunn being able to go the other way totally changes the dynamic of this lineup. It that is for real, it is awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Griffey and Dunn being able to go the other way totally changes the dynamic of this lineup. It that is for real, it is awesome!!!
    Boy am I glad I changed my name last year rather than this year because I may have been Goes The Other Way and that in a non-baseball sense, wouldn't have described me very well--not that there is anything wrong with it
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post

Well 74% of Dunn's balls in play have been to the right side, don't know how much he's been able to hit it the other way. But I don't really know how much choice he has. When teams put that shift on Griffey and Dunn they generally pound them inside almost forcing them to pull the ball. Probably the best pitches they get to hit are on the inner half. But I agree that they do need to drive the ball the other way on any pitch on the outer half. And they've done a pretty good job of that this year.

And the SS's nickname is Cam Neely.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    And the SS's nickname is Cam Neely.
    I think we should give him one of those old-timey nicknames like Cap, Bid, Pie, Kid, Lefty, Babe, Chief, Dizzy, Rabbit, Gabby, Dazzy, Sparky, Pee Wee, Cool Papa ... Hey, there've been a lot of 'lefty's, how about we nickname the first 'Righty'? We could name him Valentine Gonzalez since his birthday is near (the day after) St. Valentine's Day. Or how about 'Streak' since his hitting is very streaky and he holds the Red Sox record for longest errorless streak by a SS.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?