Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

He called the Rutgers women's basketball team a bunch of 'nappy headed ho's.'

Despite mea culpas to Reverend Jackson and Reverend Sharpton, NBC announced today that he has been suspended for two weeks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

i think howard is the only one that still talks about imus:

I heard his "apology" on the air this morning...It seemed like he spent more time talking about all the black people he put on the air over the last several years than he did actually saying he was sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    i think howard is the only one that still talks about imus:
    Not this week he isn't...

Yeah he's about is irrelevant as you can get... but that's why he said what he did, IMO. He never knew how to walk the line that Howard is/was the master of doing. Not to mention he looks like the cryptkeeper now!

Imus, IMUSSS, dead or aliveeee (probably only RIC will get that)

I agree, and always have, that it's degrading and insulting to the character of black women. But it's OK for the African-American community, including black artists (comedians, rap/hip hop artists, etc.) to use such derogatory terms, even worse in some instances, to characterize black females?

It's wrong in all instances. The hypocrisy of the "leaders" of the black community is amazing in this situation IMHO. Jackson and Sharpton are as big a joke as Imus is.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I always ask, but no one seems able to provide an answer: When was the election to appoint "Reverend's" (haha) Jackson and Sharpton as the spokesmen of the black community?

No matter how dumb any remark by the Imus' and Michael Richards' of the world might be, kissing the ass of these buffoons is the last thing they should be doing, IMO.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    He never knew how to walk the line that Howard is/was the master of doing.
    Don Imus was a pioneer in the brand of radio that guys like Stern and O&A make a living on today. He's mellowed significantly in his old age, but give the man his due.

As for his current comments -- he made a joke that bombed when he stepped over the line a little. It happens to comedians and would-be funnymen all the time when, especially in the free-form that a radio program offers. I know its a shocking concept to some, but just because you say something insensitive doesn't make you per-se a bad person.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Until Howard arrived at NBC, Imus played records.

I don't know what the big deal about it right now is. He has been saying things like these and worse for years. He needs to go to XM and quit worrying about what everybody thinks. I can't believe he is crumbling to Jesse Jackson.

I have heard him say the exact same thing before. If it was racially motivated, it was wrong, but I'm not sure it was.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Don Imus criticizing someone's appearance... that's rich.

Truth is, the worst part of that clip is what alot of people aren't hearing. One of Imus' underlings using a term that, in my mind, is on par with the n-word. (Starts with a "j.")

To me, the real shame is that the Rutgers ladies basketball team is coached by one of the classiest, no-nonsense women in the business, C. Vivian Stringer. Her squad may look "rough," but I can tell you this, if I had a daughter that could play ball, I'd want her to play for Coach Stringer.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Imus' apology was great. I've had black people in my house. My wife and I once drove an African american girl to the hospital.

What year was he apologizing to - 1958?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Until Howard arrived at NBC, Imus played records.
    Yup, he was a typical DJ - his 4 hour show was 3 hours of records and 1 hour of talking.

However, giving the devil his due, his one hour of talking was more "edgy" than anyone else out there at the time and he was a pioneer. Just not as big a pioneer as he'd like everyone to believe
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I don't know what the big deal about it right now is. He has been saying things like these and worse for years. He needs to go to XM and quit worrying about what everybody thinks. I can't believe he is crumbling to Jesse Jackson.

I have heard him say the exact same thing before. If it was racially motivated, it was wrong, but I'm not sure it was.
    I agree. This is what Don Imus does. He's a shock jock. If folks like Sharpton get their way he'll end up on satellite and make twice what he is now. Is that what they want? What are they trying to accomplish?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It's sad that Imus continues to say such awful things. He tried to compare himself to Michael Richards and distance himself from Mel Gibson, when the opposite is true.

When you look at Imus' track record, he either has a problem or he doesn't get it. In both cases, he shouldn't be allowed to use the public airwaves.

In the same broadcast he made the "nappy headed" comment, someone said that Venus and Serena Williams shouldn't appear in Playboy but in National Geographic.

If you think that's funny in any way shape or form, you don't deserve the honor that comes with having a show such as his.

When Imus did a 60 Minutes interview, he admitted that he told a producer off-air that he had hired one person simply to do "n-word" jokes. He called Patrick Ewing "the missing link," a "carjacker in shorts," and the entire Knicks team, "chest-bumping pimps."

I just question someone's internal mechanisms who would think this is something that would be funny for broadcast.

It does sound a bit ironic, though, hearing the outrage coming from people who demean their own women as they do and who are more likely to be anti-semitic than whites.

I really don't want to hear lessons on how to treat people coming from Jessie "H_ _ ie Town" Jackson.

Nevertheless, Imus deserves what he is getting, but so do many of the people calling him out, but they will never hear much of it because people are afraid that even if their criticism is legitimate, they will be ran off into the hills.

To say that we should let capitalism run its course here is being a bit naive. A man whose audience is mostly white should not be the judge and jury for what happens to Don Imus. If people could be left to their own devices, there would be no need for a Constitution or laws that protect minorities.

None of it is good. None.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 04-10-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Turn Off Ads?