Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Re: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    "Equal" is a joke.

That statement right there says it all. There seems to be something thats forgotten when it comes down to it. Something spoken by Morgan Freeman, and really is the point. "If you want racism to stop, stop being a part of it. Its a two way street." Claiming everything is racist (Remember the fact that they banned The Dukes of Hazard car due to the rebel flag?) doesn't help either. Was the comment racist? Yes, but was it meant to shock and start a debate? Yes again.

I had zero complaints about The Civil Rights baseball game because I agree'd with the message, use something as a grounds to "unite" not seperate...

This is just getting ridicilous.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

I always laugh when these guys think going on tv and apologizing over and over makes the situation better.

You do something stupid like this: Issue an sincere apology and then shut up. Don't do talk shows, don't meet the people, don't do interviews.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Did anyone happen to see the interview last night with a panel of commentators on this issue? They were all black. They had a radio talk show host, a college professor who holds a doctorate on political science/psychology, and a comedian.

The professor was advocating outlawing this type of speech, which is simply ridiculous. But the comedian, who was hilarious, made the most sense. He states "If you outlaw the use of such terms, then the only people you are gonna hurt and put on the unemployment line are guys like me! I guarantee you that when those women on that basketball team heard Imus' words, their response was 'What did that cracker just call me?"

And it was also brought up by the radio talk show host that when Katrina hit, Imus was one of the most vocal critics of how the situation was being handled, was outraged that race may be the reasoning behind it, and worked with numerous agencies to help coordinate efforts to bring relief to the city.

Jackson and Sharpton are nothing more then a couple of race baiters who thrive on stuff like this for their livelihood and financial support. These two can't address, or have answers, to fix the real problems within the black community, issues that are really important, so they make issues out of stuff like this to show their relevance.

I find it very hypocritical that some of those calling for Imus' head are on record as saying some of the most overt racist comments. Spike Lee is utraged, yet says he hates inter-racial marriages and "visualizes daggers" when he sees them. Ludacris uses the same terms Imus did in song.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-10-2007 at 09:11 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Matt, you should know better than anyone why. Especially after the whole Furman deal. If I run a radio station and one of my hosts says something that's going to give me bad publicity and cost me money, I'm not just going to sit there and do nothing. And if I own a radio station, I probably own a lot of other things as well so that's going to be affected too. Imus is lucky he was only suspended.
    I can't get into the Furman ordeal....there's things that have to stay behind closed doors. I "know" why Imus got suspended in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Imus had a right to say what he did no matter how offensive it was. However, people also have the right to be offended by it. His employer also has the right to discipline him for saying what he did too if they feel it is going to be bad for their business.
    That's true Chip. Yet why just outrage over Imus then? We can all sight examples of people on TV and radio who daily say outrageous comments about various groups, cultures, individuals. Some in humor, some not.

We now live in a culture that loves being caustic, offensive, and confrontational. There is no "etiquette", even when done in humor. Look at some of today's popular TV shows, and what they say, and who they attack/mock.

It just seems there is different standards being applied depending on who you are.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-10-2007 at 09:20 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's amusing -- this is probably the most relevant Don Imus has been in 2 decades.
    Obviously in my little world it is - I must honestly admit that I wondered "Who the heck is this Imus guy?" when all this came about. Somehow I must not have escaped the shadow of my rock I live under long enough to have learned who this guy is...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That's true Chip. Yet why just outrage over Imus then? We can all sight examples of people on TV and radio who daily say outrageous comments about various groups, cultures, individuals. Some in humor, some not.

We now live in a culture that loves being caustic, offensive, and confrontational. There is no "etiquette", even when done in humor. Look at some of today's popular TV shows, and what they say, and who they attack/mock.

It just seems there is different standards being applied depending on who you are.
    GAC -- How would you feel if your daughter played basketball at Rutgers?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I don't think I am GAC, but I'll answer it like you asked me.

If it were my daughter who played on a NCAA team that just played in the National Championship. I'd ask her why she's letting some dude on the radio take some of her joy away? I think if you let someone's words offend you, then you give that person power over you and you value that person's opinion way too much. I'm sure it's not the first time some of these girls have been called names, and it probably won't be the last. I just think by making a big deal out of this they are giving Don Imus way to much significance and way to much attention. If someone like Don Imus is going to stoop to the level of making these comments than he's not someone who's opinion is worth valueing, just like anybody else who makes these sort of comments. And by having press conference to talk about him instead of talking about their National Championship appearance is giving him more significance than them winning. That's the way I see it, anyway.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 04-11-2007 at 01:26 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I don't know that I'd really care -- being called out by Don Imus is like having a sternly-worded "letter to the editor" directed towards you from a paper in Boise, Idaho.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

With all due respect to the mods...I started a thread over the Hardaway "gay" remark and got immediately scolded and sent to the peanut gallery wearing a dunce cap. How is this thread different???

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    If it were my daughter who played on a NCAA team that just won the National Championship. I'd ask her why she's letting some dude on the radio take some of her joy away? I think if you let someone's words offend you, then you give that person power over you and you value that person's opinion way too much. I'm sure it's not the first time some of these girls have been called names, and it probably won't be the last. I just think by making a big deal out of this they are giving Don Imus way to much significance and way to much attention. If someone like Don Imus is going to stoop to the level of making these comments than he's not someone who's opinion is worth valueing, just like anybody else who makes these sort of comments. And by having press conference to talk about him instead of talking about their National Championship is giving him more significance than them winning. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Actually, Rutgers lost in the National Championship game.

Followup to both you and CE: How would you feel if you were walking down the street with your daughter (girlfriend, wife, sister, good friend would also apply) and someone called them a "nappy-headed ho" or "j_g_b_o" or any other relevant insensative term?

In my way of thinking, all that "sticks and stones" stuff is great until it's personal. Imus' comment wasn't a term used in a movie or TV show or rap video. It was personal. He called 12 hard-working college students that he knew nothing about other than how they looked on TV "nappy headed hos." That's what makes it different.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 04-11-2007 at 01:31 PM.

See if they were talking about that instead of Don Imus I would know that. Thanks for correcting me, but it really wasn't the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    See if they were talking about that instead of Don Imus I would know that. Thanks for correcting me, but it really wasn't the point.
    I know. My followup question is above.

Followup to both you and CE: How would you feel if you were walking down the street with your daughter (girlfriend, wife, sister, good friend would also apply) and someone called them a "nappy-headed ho" or "j_g_b_o" or any other relevant insensative term?

In my way of thinking, all that "sticks and stones" stuff is great until it's personal. Imus' comment wasn't a term used in a movie or TV show or rap video. It was personal. He called 12 hard-working college students that he knew nothing about other than how they looked on TV "nappy headed hos." That's what makes it different.
    If I was walking down the street and it happened, then I really don't know what I would do. I don't think it's something that's worth fighting over, I do believe there are reasons to fight, but I don't think that a verbal attack is one of them. Honestly something like that happened a few weeks ago while I was in San Antonio and my wife and I just laughed and kept walking. My friend who was also with his girlfriend wanted to fight (he's always gotten fired up over small things), but I got him to just keep walking. Now if the person had attempted to make more of it than just words than I'd have obliged him.

I do believe in that "sticks and stones" stuff, especially when it's personal. That person will not hold any power over me. I'm not going to let someone make me angry by calling me names, I don't value that person's opinion that much.

This is something that undoubtedly I am going to have to deal with in the future, because my kids are going to be mixed race. So I am preparing for it now, because unfortunately it's something that's going to happen.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'd keep walking -- but thats because I'm not in any great hurry to get charged with assault or disorderly conduct over some moron's comments.

Imus' comment wasn't a term used in a movie or TV show or rap video. It was personal. He called 12 hard-working college students that he knew nothing about other than how they looked on TV "nappy headed hos." That's what makes it different.
    I don't see how comments from someone who knows absolutely nothing about the team or the players can BE personal? Ignorant, Ill-informed, and Idiotic, yes. Personal? Hardly. Maybe if he'd singled out individual players, it might be a little more malicious, but that'd require he knew something about the team beyond the 20 seconds of footage the national title game got on SportsCenter.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?