Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Re: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't see how comments from someone who knows absolutely nothing about the team or the players can BE personal? Ignorant, Ill-informed, and Idiotic, yes. Personal? Hardly. Maybe if he'd singled out individual players, it might be a little more malicious, but that'd require he knew something about the team beyond the 20 seconds of footage the national title game got on SportsCenter.
    I'd say comments about a woman's (or group of women) appearance and sexual habits is personal.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I'd say comments about a woman's (or group of women) appearance and sexual habits is personal.
    The appearence part is bad because the claim is being made that "nappy headed" is a direct reference to their race as opposed to any real critique of their appearence. I don't put a lot of weight behind it unless the race tie is there, because Adam Morrison got trashed out for months about his 'stash and nobody came rushing to his defense because he was a hard-working student athlete. No double standards.

The sexual habits part -- well, that depends on whether or not you think being called "ho" by an old white guy that has never met you, doesn't know your name, and probably forgot what school you went to immediately after the joke is really an attack on your chastity. The term has two meanings -- the direct insult meaning (said person to person based on accusation of sexual promiscuity) and the generalized mildly degrading to women meaning that it takes in popular culture (listen to the radio for 20 minutes to pick that one up). Based on the context of Imus' quote, I'd tend to attribute more the latter meaning, IMO.

Basically what I come up with is this: I see being outraged as a minority and as a woman for insensitive comments and terminology to describe african americans and women. I don't see being personally outraged as one of the 12 people "insulted".

I hope that makes some sense.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Imus is wrong. But he isn't overtly right wing radio. Where's the outrage when Rush, Beck, and Bennet use hate speech (and they are not joking)?

Basically what I come up with is this: I see being outraged as a minority and as a woman for insensitive comments and terminology to describe african americans and women. I don't see being personally outraged as one of the 12 people "insulted".

I hope that makes some sense.

That's fair. I can go for that.

But I can say this -- if one of my daughters played for Rutgers, I'd be ticked.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I apologize if this has been stated before--I havent read the whole thread...but isnt it weird/interesting that Imus' "suspension" starts Monday...and he is still on the air while the controversy swirls???? If you really wanted to punish him...wouldnt you pull him immediately???? This reminds me of the infamous WLW "suspensions" given to Cunningham and Furman while they went on vacation....

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    GAC -- How would you feel if your daughter played basketball at Rutgers?
    What Razor Shine stated so eloquently. Would I be upset over it? Not to the degree of taking it to the public level that other people have just because some idiot made a off-handed comment which, IMHO, was not made with a malicious intent - and that is what is important: what is the INTENT behind the person's words - but was a wrong-headed attempt at humor.

I listened to Imus' initial comments afterwards, his apology, and I believe he was sincere. He knows he screwed up. He should have dropped it right then and there. He should have never taken it further and given "stage" to characters as Sharpton in an attempt to further rationalize/explain his remarks. He made his apology. Now let the chips fall where they may.

But I wouldn't be calling for the guy's head or trying to ruin his career.

AS far as I'm concerned - the shame he will have to carry on his head for those comments is plenty of punishment. He will always be known for that.

What bothers me is that if these terms, as well as others, are so offensive to blacks, then why have they allowed them to become so ingrained, as far as usage goes, within their own culture? And I don't accept this "It's a black thing". Black comedians and hip-hop artists use them regularly. I have heard co-workers who, when having conversations with each other, and yes I know they are joking around, used this language, especially the "N" word and "ho" on each other.

Is it, or is it not, offensive?

A couple weeks ago, long before this Imus incident, I watched a home video on one of the cable news networks showing a group of black college students joking around in the dorm. They were using the exact same words Imus did, and a few other divisive ones in their back-and-forth conversations. And they were all males! One black girl enters the scene and asks them why they, being males, were calling each other "ho's"? They just kinda looked at her.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-11-2007 at 05:07 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    I apologize if this has been stated before--I havent read the whole thread...but isnt it weird/interesting that Imus' "suspension" starts Monday...and he is still on the air while the controversy swirls???? If you really wanted to punish him...wouldnt you pull him immediately???? This reminds me of the infamous WLW "suspensions" given to Cunningham and Furman while they went on vacation....
    Apparently Imus is completing the week because he is helping to raise money for one of the charities he does work for -- something that has been planned for quite some time.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Apparently Imus is completing the week because he is helping to raise money for one of the charities he does work for -- something that has been planned for quite some time.

I bet the charity is thrilled with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Not that it matters much, but I wonder if a single member of the Rutgers team even knew who the heck Don Imus was prior to this flap?

Frankly, I had mostly forgotten he existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Not that it matters much, but I wonder if a single member of the Rutgers team even knew who the heck Don Imus was prior to this flap?

Frankly, I had mostly forgotten he existed.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, it still makes a sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, it still makes a sound.
    Them knowing or not knowing Imus doesn't change that his statements were ignorant and insensative, I agree.

I just can't imagine Imus being a big force in the "young 20's, collage student, athlete" demo. I would think those young ladies were thinking, "who the heck is this old creepy guy?" when they were told about it.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 04-11-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Actually, it makes vibrations, but it's not a sound until a receptor converts it to sound.

Imus should not have been suspended for his remarks. And in my opinion he was not.

ok, hear me out on this.

NBC knows Imus. this wasn't a surprise. They have tolerated his bile racist remarks for years. And they never really cared.

But this time it cost them money. And well we can't have that.

Is he offensive? yes. Is his right to be offensive protected under the Bill of Rights? Yes. He didn't incite a riot. He didn't tell someone to harm another person. He's just a bigot. Colin Cowherd did more harm with his "Let's take down a random internet site" rant. Cowherd did something that caused actual damage. Imus just insulted a group of women.

He's a pig. And a bigot. And a sexist. And nothing he did was illegal. I hate the "we have to hold broadcasters to a higher standard" arguement. Imus is not a reporter. He's an on air personality. His speech is protected.

However, he cost his boss some money. Hence the suspension. Just that simple.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    With all due respect to the mods...I started a thread over the Hardaway "gay" remark and got immediately scolded and sent to the peanut gallery wearing a dunce cap. How is this thread different???
    Just wait... it'll get there... :
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Them knowing or not knowing Imus doesn't change that his statements were ignorant and insensative, I agree.

I just can't imagine Imus being a big force in the "young 20's, collage student, athlete" demo. I would think those young ladies were thinking, "who the heck is this old creepy guy?" when they were told about it.
    Heck, I am hardly in the demographic of the Rutgers basketball team and I was thinking that too!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?