Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Re: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

The press conference by the women on the basketball team is online right now.

They are a classy bunch of wonderful women! Good for them for standing up for themselves!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It's Keith Richard's dad!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I agree, and always have, that it's degrading and insulting to the character of black women. But it's OK for the African-American community, including black artists (comedians, rap/hip hop artists, etc.) to use such derogatory terms, even worse in some instances, to characterize black females?

It's wrong in all instances. The hypocrisy of the "leaders" of the black community is amazing in this situation IMHO. Jackson and Sharpton are as big a joke as Imus is.
    Imus was wrong, but if they are going to call him out, they better start worrying about all the folks that GAC mentioned above. It is never right, regardless of your race.

I can't believe they had a press conference to talk about this guy. Why are the players and the school giving him that much significance? They're going to give him that much power? Their press conference should have lasted 30 seconds and they should have had one statement: "We really don't give a D### what Don Imus thinks or says, thank you."
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 04-10-2007 at 04:03 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    If you think that's funny in any way shape or form, you don't deserve the honor that comes with having a show such as his.
    If you don't like it, don't listen.

Its hard for me to get morally righteous or upset about any of this stuff when I can flip from Imus to KISS-FM and here a song by Ludacris that uses every word Imus did in the course of one refrain. I like Luda (even if "Release Therapy" was kinda crap). I like Imus too.

The speaker doesn't make the speech offensive -- the speech is either offensive or it isn't.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

What Imus said was stupid and wrong. He never should have said it and has apoligized profusly for it.

But I wonder why Sharpton is attacking him and wants him fired when he failes to address rappers and their constant degrading of women. He doesn't say a word about BET and the racy music videos they show. Why is it that a guy like Dave Chapell can joke around about the crackers and the N word but if any white person ventures itno that territory they are chastized.

I just am irritated by the contradictary nature of these self proclaimed african american leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Why are the players and the school giving him that much significance? They're press conference should have lasted 30 seconds and they should have had one statement: "We really don't give a D### what Dom Imus thinks or says, thank you."
    Agreed.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I can't believe they had a press conference to talk about this guy. Why are the players and the school giving him that much significance? They're going to give him that much power? They're press conference should have lasted 30 seconds and they should have had one statement: "We really don't give a D### what Don Imus thinks or says, thank you."
    It's amusing -- this is probably the most relevant Don Imus has been in 2 decades.

I'm not condoning what he said, but he's been saying stuff like this for 30 years...24 hour news channels and the internet have brought this incident to the surface. Stern, Imus and their ilk have always used racial terms in their humor. Just as some of the hip-hop DJs have made racially insensitive comments.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If you don't like it, don't listen.
    I really don't think this is an argument is it?

Using this logic I could say we should have a show about how obsessed Jewish people are with money and the people who don't like it shouldn't listen.

The fact that only people who like that sort of humor are listening or watching a program doesn't change the fact that it should not be on our airwaves.

Its hard for me to get morally righteous or upset about any of this stuff when I can flip from Imus to KISS-FM and here a song by Ludacris that uses every word Imus did in the course of one refrain. I like Luda (even if "Release Therapy" was kinda crap). I like Imus too.
    Calling someone out for telling offensive jokes is not being morally righteous, and the fact that you like Imus or Ludacris doesn't excuse the behavior.

This isn't a question of being a fan. There are people who like Pete Rose so much that they'd let them in the hall of fame even though he did something he knew would get him banned and lied about it for fifteen plus years. Maybe they could tell people, "If you don't like it, don't go look at his plaque."

And I do agree that these rap artists and everybody else should be called out for what they do to, if nothing else to hold them accountable as Imus and others have been.

I don't believe the answer to the problem is to say, "Well Ludacris is doing it too."

Imus' argument here is a bit specious: He wants us to look at the comment in the context of a comedy show, yet he himself says the joke wasn't funny.

So, he's in a bind. He either thought it was funny at the time, which doesn't bode well for his mindset, or he tried to tell a joke he didn't think was funny.

Imus had a right to say what he did no matter how offensive it was. However, people also have the right to be offended by it. His employer also has the right to discipline him for saying what he did too if they feel it is going to be bad for their business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I really don't think this is an argument is it?

Using this logic I could say we should have a show about how obsessed Jewish people are with money and the people who don't like it shouldn't listen.

The fact that only people who like that sort of humor are listening or watching a program doesn't change the fact that it should not be on our airwaves.
    EDIT: My post was probably straying too far into the political realm.

I'll take it over to the peanut gallery, because this topic probably belongs there more than anything else.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 04-10-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Still not sure what he got suspended for....pissing people off? Isn't that part of what he does?

I don't think he broke any FCC violations,at least not off the top of my head.....

We live in over-sensitive society...a society where all of a sudden people can't decifer for themselves what they want to listen to or not...I get it working at the radio station, people call in and yell me because of a talk show host they don't like but are "forced to listen to"...grow up people! You have a knob on your radio, or buttons on your radio for a reason, to change the channel. If somebody who doesn't know me wants to call me a white honky, go ahead....you just sound stupid.

Should he have said it? No. Probably not. Has this stuff been going for years and years and years on the airways? Yes. Why is it so evil now? Why is it so hypocritical now? If one group of people says it, it's ok...if another does it, they're the devil...

It's like what Colin Cowherd said about Cincinnati.....I really don't care. He's probably never been here, or if he has, he hasn't spent enough time here to get to know people, so he uses a select few who have gotten negative media attention to generalize about the entire population of the city. He just sounds ignorant.

All I know, is that if an african-american or hispanic host (for example) would say "racially insensitive" things about a white person, they wouldn't get suspended...because if they did, the NAACP would scream "racism"

"Equal" is a joke.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-10-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Let's talk about something more current than Don Imus. What does everyone think about the chances of the 1975 Reds going back to back Word Championships?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Still not sure what he got suspended for....pissing people off? Isn't that part of what he does?
    Matt, you should know better than anyone why. Especially after the whole Furman deal. If I run a radio station and one of my hosts says something that's going to give me bad publicity and cost me money, I'm not just going to sit there and do nothing. And if I own a radio station, I probably own a lot of other things as well so that's going to be affected too. Imus is lucky he was only suspended.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?