Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Re: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    However, he cost his boss some money. Hence the suspension. Just that simple.

And you're right. But they have every right in the world to do that if they feel he's costing them money. Imus wasn't arrested or killed or sent to Siberia for what he said. He got suspended. That's it.

Sometimes we mistake the 1st Amendment's meaning and we think it gives anyone the right to say anything they want without consequences. But that's not what it says. All it says is that Congress shall make no law abridging freedom of speech. If I went up to my boss and told him he was a no-good, lying SOB I'd get fired from my job and I'd deserve it and he'd be within his rights to do so. But I couldn't be arrested for saying it. I'd just have to get another job. If Imus wants to sue his employer for suspending him, God bless him. He's got every right in the world to do so. He also has a right to quit his job and go elsewhere if he doesn't like it there.

His employer also has the right to take action against him if they feel he is hurting their business. The basic principle of a capitalistic society is to make as much money as you can within the bounds of the law. You don't have to lose money if you don't have to.
    Last edited by Chip R; 04-11-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Now that major advertisers are pulling ads, I can justify a suspension....he's now costing his company money.

If he gets fired, I don't know if I can justify that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And you're right. But they have every right in the world to do that if they feel he's costing them money. Imus wasn't arrested or killed or sent to Siberia for what he said. He got suspended. That's it.

Sometimes we mistake the 1st Amendment's meaning and we think it gives anyone the right to say anything they want without consequences. But that's not what it says. All it says is that Congress shall make no law abridging freedom of speech. If I went up to my boss and told him he was a no-good, lying SOB I'd get fired from my job and I'd deserve it and he'd be within his rights to do so. But I couldn't be arrested for saying it. I'd just have to get another job. If Imus wants to sue his employer for suspending him, God bless him. He's got every right in the world to do so. He also has a right to quit his job and go elsewhere if he doesn't like it there.

His employer also has the right to take action against him if they feel he is hurting their business. The basic principle of a capitalistic society is to make as much money as you can within the bounds of the law. You don't have to lose money if you don't have to.
    I agree. Imus can be suspended by anybody who chooses if it's a private business, no? We're arguing criminal charges and legality, but I don't think that's the issue here.

My place of employment could certainly fire me for public remarks such as these. I could choose to take them to court to try to get my job back and then my first amendment rights might become the tricky issue. But it's right there in my employer's contract: they can release me at any time for reasons that they feel are justified.

We can make this into a political issue if we want to, and we can debate the intention and the effect of his words. But I don't really get the "they have no right to suspend him" thing. They can suspend whoever they want -- and if they're losing money, that's as a legitimate reason as any, since business exist to make money.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Time for Jackson, Sharpton to Step Down
    Pair See Potential for Profit, Attention in Imus Incident
    By JASON WHITLOCK
    Sports Commentary

I’m calling for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, the president and vice president of Black America, to step down.

Their leadership is stale. Their ideas are outdated. And they don’t give a damn about us.

We need to take a cue from White America and re-elect our leadership every four years. White folks realize that power corrupts. That’s why they placed term limits on the presidency. They know if you leave a man in power too long he quits looking out for the interest of his constituency and starts looking out for his own best interest.

We’ve turned Jesse and Al into Supreme Court justices. They get to speak for us for a lifetime.

Why?

If judged by the results they’ve produced the last 20 years, you’d have to regard their administration as a total failure. Seriously, compared to Martin and Malcolm and the freedoms and progress their leadership produced, Jesse and Al are an embarrassment.

Their job the last two decades was to show black people how to take advantage of the opportunities Martin and Malcolm won.

Have we at the level we should have? No.

Rather than inspire us to seize hard-earned opportunities, Jesse and Al have specialized in blackmailing white folks for profit and attention. They were at it again last week, helping to turn radio shock jock Don Imus’ stupidity into a world-wide crisis that reached its crescendo Tuesday afternoon when Rutgers women’s basketball coach Vivian Stringer led a massive pity party/recruiting rally.

Imus’ words did no real damage. Let me tell you what damaged us this week: the sports cover of Tuesday’s USA Today. This country’s newspaper of record published a story about the NFL and crime and ran a picture of 41 NFL players who were arrested in 2006. By my count, 39 of those players were black.

You want to talk about a damaging, powerful image, an image that went out across the globe?

We’re holding news conferences about Imus when the behavior of NFL players is painting us as lawless and immoral. Come on. We can do better than that. Jesse and Al are smarter than that.

Had Imus’ predictably poor attempt at humor not been turned into an international incident by the deluge of media coverage, 97 percent of America would’ve never known what Imus said. His platform isn’t that large and it has zero penetration into the sports world.

Imus certainly doesn’t resonate in the world frequented by college women. The insistence by these young women that they have been emotionally scarred by an old white man with no currency in their world is laughably dishonest.

The Rutgers players are nothing more than pawns in a game being played by Jackson, Sharpton and Stringer.

Jesse and Al are flexing their muscle and setting up their next sting. Bringing down Imus, despite his sincere attempts at apologizing, would serve notice to their next potential victim that it is far better to pay up than stand up to Jesse and Al James.

Stringer just wanted her 15 minutes to make the case that she’s every bit as important as Pat Summitt and Geno Auriemma. By the time Stringer’s rambling, rapping and rhyming 30-minute speech was over, you’d forgotten that Tennessee won the national championship and just assumed a racist plot had been hatched to deny the Scarlet Knights credit for winning it all.

Maybe that’s the real crime. Imus’ ignorance has taken attention away from Candace Parker’s and Summitt’s incredible accomplishment. Or maybe it was Sharpton’s, Stringer’s and Jackson’s grandstanding that moved the spotlight from Tennessee to New Jersey?

None of this over-the-top grandstanding does Black America any good.

We can’t win the war over verbal disrespect and racism when we have so obviously and blatantly surrendered the moral high ground on the issue. Jesse and Al might win the battle with Imus and get him fired or severely neutered. But the war? We don’t stand a chance in the war. Not when everybody knows “nappy-headed ho’s” is a compliment compared to what we allow black rap artists to say about black women on a daily basis.

We look foolish and cruel for kicking a man who went on Sharpton’s radio show and apologized. Imus didn’t pull a Michael Richards and schedule an interview on Letterman. Imus went to the Black vice president’s house, acknowledged his mistake and asked for forgiveness.

Let it go and let God.

We have more important issues to deal with than Imus. If we are unwilling to clean up the filth and disrespect we heap on each other, nothing will change with our condition. You can fire every Don Imus in the country, and our incarceration rate, fatherless-child rate, illiteracy rate and murder rate will still continue to skyrocket.

A man who doesn’t respect himself wastes his breath demanding that others respect him.

We don’t respect ourselves right now. If we did, we wouldn’t call each other the N-word. If we did, we wouldn’t let people with prison values define who we are in music and videos. If we did, we wouldn’t call black women *****es and hos and abandon them when they have our babies.

If we had the proper level of self-respect, we wouldn’t act like it’s only a crime when a white man disrespects us. We hold Imus to a higher standard than we hold ourselves. That’s a (freaking) shame.

We need leadership that is interested in fixing the culture we’ve adopted. We need leadership that makes all of us take tremendous pride in educating ourselves. We need leadership that can reach professional athletes and entertainers and get them to understand that they’re ambassadors and play an important role in defining who we are and what values our culture will embrace.

It’s time for Jesse and Al to step down. They’ve had 25 years to lead us. Other than their accountants, I’d be hard pressed to find someone who has benefited from their administration.

It will be interesting to see who visits whatever show Imus has after this controversy runs its course. His time on TV may be ending, but I can recall various media personalities, including most of NBC's main news talent, being regular guests on his morning show, as well as numerous politicians from both parties, including John McCain and John Kerry. I somehow doubt those people will be frequenting whatever show Imus winds up having in the future.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I think the NBC firing is just the first shoe. I predict he'll be fired by CBS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think the NBC firing is just the first shoe. I predict he'll be fired by CBS as well.

He could be like Olbermann and get fired by all 3 networks and Fox.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Whitlock really really gets it. I've thought some of his stuff really lame in the past but that is a just magnificent piece of writing right there. I hope a lot of people read that and think about what he is saying and take it to heart.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

For the first, and possibly the last time ever, Jason Whitlock is dead on.

I rarely ever agree with Whitlock but that article is dead on the money. MSNBC set a horrible precedent in letting Imus go. It was a bad offensive joke but that was all it was. The firing will just embolden people like Sharpton to find something else they don't like and then go after the next target. The hipocracy of people like Sharpton and Jackson who have said their own racist things in the past and gotten away with it to then turn around and demand someone else is fired is sickening.

Do you think the day will ever come when we can discuss racial issues without dragging Sharpton and Jackson into the discussion?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

MSNBC set a horrible precedent in letting Imus go.
    Yeah, sure would hate to see anybody lose their job over some silly racist jokes. The nerve of some people. I'm with you, Reds Fanatic. I think they should let Imus continue to make comparisons of black people and animals. It's pretty funny, isn't it? As long as you're joking, you can say anything you want.

The Rutgers girls look like they should be playing for the Memphis Grizzlies (knee slap).

Venus and Serena should be in National Geographic instead of Playboy (Har dee har har!)

What a hoot!

If I were MSNBC, I'd hire three more like Imus. How fun it is not harming anything with offensive jokes.

The hipocracy of people like Sharpton and Jackson who have said their own racist things in the past and gotten away with it to then turn around and demand someone else is fired is sickening.
    Their hypocrisy is sickening, but the idea isn't to let Imus continue because they're idiots, too.

I'm upset with MSNBC's decision. I really wanted to watch Don spend a few more days groveling and trying to save his job. I mean the guy's been spewing his racist nonsence for more than 30 years, i don't think making him spend a week or so humiliating himself is too much to ask.

Turn Off Ads?