Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Re: Anyone following the Don Imus 'saga'?

Howard Stern has talked about how Imus called Robin the N-word (confirmed by Robin and others) several times back when they were at WNBC. He also called several other of the black workers at WNBC, including one of his producers, the same word.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    For the first, and possibly the last time ever, Jason Whitlock is dead on.
    Since leaving ESPN, Whitlock has been right a lot more than he's been wrong. His broadsides at Scoop Jackson and other sportswriters that marginalized the problems during All-Star Weekend in Vegas were a much-needed breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    In my way of thinking, all that "sticks and stones" stuff is great until it's personal. Imus' comment wasn't a term used in a movie or TV show or rap video. It was personal. He called 12 hard-working college students that he knew nothing about other than how they looked on TV "nappy headed hos." That's what makes it different.
    Well said. If CE or I went into court and decided to pepper our remarks with a few "hilarious" racist/misogynist bon mots, chances are we'd lose our livelihood in a hurry. To hell with Imus. You reap what you sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Do you think the day will ever come when we can discuss racial issues without dragging Sharpton and Jackson into the discussion?
    Not as long as they continue to want to be the focal point of the discussion. Whose leading the charge? They feed off of this stuff because it helps to show their own relevance.

Last edited by GAC; 04-12-2007 at 08:53 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Awesome cartoon. There's more reality to that picture than people realize. Jackson and Sharpton have become the high priests of their race, handing out judgements and forgiveness at their whim. They have a title in front of their names but blatantly don't live up to it. It's a shame.

By the way, does anyone know where to find lyrics to popular rap songs that have been "interpreted" (for lack of a better word) for those of us who don't know all the lingo? I'd be curious to read what's said about black women in those songs. I hear it's no different than what Imus said so I wonder if Jackson/Sharpton/Obama will call for it to be removed from the airwaves as well. Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending Imus' words. I simply believe that if these words are truly wrong, then it should apply to everyone.

Also, I loved Whitlock's article. Too bad it will be ignored by most media outlets and few people will read it.
    Last edited by durl; 04-12-2007 at 09:40 AM.

This thread has run its course on RZ and now needs to be taken to the peanut gallery before it turns even more political.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?