Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton should platoon w/Freel in CF

Hamilton should platoon w/Freel in CF

Why not for 10 games or so to see if it works? Hamilton had the best spring of any player in the majors. I'm mad as heck about this game tonight--the Reds are facing two right handers they should pound the next two nights and Hamilton better get a start!
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hamilton should platoon w/Freel in CF

Mark it down Hamilton will share time with all three outfielders when one needs a day off.I like how Narron is slowly giving him at bats b/c a guy just learning might be a little to much for him to start.Saying that thow Im with you thow I think he will start atleast one of the next two games.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 04-10-2007 at 01:13 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Mark it down Hamilton will share time with all three outfielders when one needs a day off.I like how Narron is slowly giving him at bats b/c a guy just learning might be a little to much for him to start.Im with you thow I think he will start atleast one of the next two games.
    I think you're right. We all want to see him thrown into the fire right away, but for all his faults, I think Narron knows best when to do so in handling Josh.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I'm with Wheelhouse on this. If you're going to get an 0-4, why not play the rookie? Especially the rookie who was hot all Spring?

OTOH, it goes against Jerry Narron's beliefs and conservative nature to start a young rookie. Hamilton may start, but it will be with great thought and pennance.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I agree with getting Hamilton some more ABs (he's not getting any better collecting splinters on the bench), but lets get a little perspective here -- he's got a grand total of 3 big league ABs.

Freel is the everyday centerfielder. At this point, I don't see any justification for a platoon. If Hamilton develops and produces, then that might force the issue. But, right now, a platoon that keeps Freel's OBP out of the lineup in half the games isn't going to make the Reds a better ballclub -- especially if it relies on the hope that a Single-A ballplayer will produce consistently if given daily ABs.

I love the Hamilton story, but lets not get carried away.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I wish that WVRedsfan would weigh in on this...

I think Freel had a bad game against a guy he's always struggled against. He's done his job as a lead off hitter up to that game. Tomorrow a righty is going and I'm sure Josh will get his first start and Freel will get a night off.

Hey WVRedsfan,its to late to be drinking coffie lol

Yes like I wrote before I see Hamilton starting in one of the next two games.Freel or maybe even Griffey will be taking a day off.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Hey WVRedsfan,its to late to be drinking coffie lol

Yes like I wrote before I see Hamilton starting in one of the next two games.Freel or maybe even Griffey will be taking a day off.
    I don't know what the heck happened with the quadruple post. I hit the submit button and I got this message about having just posted.

What you get when you stay up too late and lose a game you should have won, I guess. Or not.

Guess I'm still excited that Bobby's coming home!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Okay, if Freel always struggles against this guy, why do you start him tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Okay, if Freel always struggles against this guy, why do you start him tonight?
    Well with our current situation who else are you going to start? Narron's not gonna give Hamilton his first career start against a lefty. And without Deno or even Norris Hopper we're pretty much stuck, unless you want to see Juan Castro roaming center field.

Between Freel and Hamilton which has the superior fielding, throwing, and hitting?

Another RH hitting Outfielder would come in pretty handy on this roster.

The need of three Catchers must out weigh the need of that RH Outfielder.

I know Deno would"ve probably been here if not for the injury, and Norris Hopper is hurt too.

My question is... Is it really that difficult to obtain another RHH 4th/5th OF'er?

This is an honest question, I'm not trying to be snarkey.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-10-2007 at 03:28 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Between Freel and Hamilton which has the superior fielding, throwing, and hitting?
    Ryan Freel. It's not even close at this point.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I'd quote WVRedsFan but...

Griffey needs to strengthen his wrist, Freel needs the occasional day off (by the way not that it was the difference in the game but you mean Freel needed to start against Davis with his 1-19 lifetime??)...this is/was my greatest fear about Hamilton that he's going to lose any rhythm he built up by not playing with any regularity...

It is early, but here's to hoping we run him out there every 3-4 days for a couple of starts to allow him to cultivate his vast talent...it will take time, but he needs to play semi-regularly if at all possible...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

I actually think that Jerry's going to be changing his philosophy on rookies only because his brother knows him.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?