Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ted Power says Bailey not ready...

Ted Power says Bailey not ready...

In today's DDN, Power says Homer Bailey isn't quite ready for the show...

But don't get too excited, according to Bats pitching coach Ted Power. Bailey, 20 years old and beginning his third full professional season, shouldn't be making his Major League debut just yet.

"I don't think Bailey's ready right now," Power said.

Some Reds fans wanted to see Bailey in a Reds uniform last season, and would still enjoy watching him pitch in the No. 5 spot for Cincinnati. But the hard-throwing Texan didn't quite have Major League stuff on Sunday, Power said.

"He graded it as a 'B,' and I would agree," Power said. "He didn't throw that many strikes, but his fastball had plenty of life to it. His curve ball was inconsistent."

And it would take more than just throwing pitches to take the mound at Great American Ball Park, Power said.

"He needs work at the plate to be able to bunt," he said. "He needs a little more field precision, knowing where to go at all times. He's doing well, but he's not quite there."

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cruisin' for trouble

Re: Ted Power says Bailey not ready...

Nearly 50% of his pitches Sunday were balls. For *most* pitchers, that would lead to a lot of baserunners and a better than average chance to get hung with a loss. However, if the pitcher only gives up one hit...

He's rare meat right now. Let him get to at least medium before they serve his up to the bigs.

His pitching needs to be A+ before we can expect Bailey to have any success at the major league level.

But I couldn't care less about his bunting skills. In fact, considering the bottom 60% of the Reds' rotation, bunting should be at about the bottom of anyone's list of improvements.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    His pitching needs to be A+ before we can expect Bailey to have any success at the major league level.

But I couldn't care less about his bunting skills. In fact, considering the bottom 60% of the Reds' rotation, bunting should be at about the bottom of anyone's list of improvements.
    I agree. That part of the article was one of the stupidest things I've read in a while. He could go up there and swing one handed for all I care, he just needs to work on throwing his breaking balls for strikes.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I agree. That part of the article was one of the stupidest things I've read in a while. He could go up there and swing one handed for all I care, he just needs to work on throwing his breaking balls for strikes.
    For the most part he doesn't have to worry about hitting. But it is an aspect of his game that if he could become good at would significantly help his pitching and win loss record. How many wins do you think Greg Maddox got because of hes ability with the bat in his hands. When Roger Clemens came to the NL he made sure that he would be able to hand the bat. Bailey does need to feel comfortabe with that bat in his hands.

I guarantee you Aaron Harang isn't kept in the rotation for his hitting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    But it is an aspect of his game that if he could become good at would significantly help his pitching and win loss record.
    How would it help his pitching? If he somehow manages to hit .200 and collect a few RBIs along the way, good on him. But "Bailey at the Bat" would hardly be a "significant" event.

His hitting should be the furthest thing from his mind, and I can only hope that Ted Power and the rest of the Reds organization has made that abundantly clear to him.

I just like the honesty of the article. He has B stuff right now. The Reds have handled him the right way making sure he is well seasoned before putting him to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    How would it help his pitching? If he somehow manages to hit .200 and collect a few RBIs along the way, good on him. But "Bailey at the Bat" would hardly be a "significant" event.

His hitting should be the furthest thing from his mind, and I can only hope that Ted Power and the rest of the Reds organization has made that abundantly clear to him.
    I am not necessarily talking about batting average. How about getting a sac bunt down. Move the runner up in a 2-1 game and he scores now you have a 3-1 game and a little less pressure on you. I bet last night Arroyo was pissed at himself when he didn't get that sac bunt down. If he did and the run scores then maybe the reds win that game. Getting a sac bunt down as a pitcher not only helps yourself but it also helps your team win. Is it the most important thing, no, but it does help.

Bunting skills???? I don't think pitchers even bat in the International League where Bailey plays.

HERE are the current Louisville Bat numbers....only pitcher who has hit is Magic Man, one AB.....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am not necessarily talking about batting average. How about getting a sac bunt down. Move the runner up in a 2-1 game and he scores now you have a 3-1 game and a little less pressure on you.
    ...an event which happens so few times with any meaning during a season that it hardly bears mentioning.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice if Bailey could get a bunt down. But I don't care if it takes him years to learn how to do it. Pitching should be his utmost--and only--priority right now. Everything else is a very distant second.

Bailey off to roaring start
    Sharp in Triple-A debut with Bats
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

PHOENIX - Reds phenom Homer Bailey fell off the radar after the club sent him to minor-league camp in early March.

The reports from the minor-league people were that he was sticking to the program and making progress.

The results showed Sunday night in his Triple-A debut.

Bailey went 5 1/3 innings and allowed only one run on one hit in the Bats' 13-3 victory over Toledo. First base prospect Joey Votto hit a grand slam and drove in five runs.

The run Bailey allowed came on a solo home run in the fourth by veteran Timo Perez.

"He threw the ball very well," player development director Terry Reynolds said. "It was really cold. He pitched off his fastball. He had a good curveball and a pretty good change up.

"He really only made one mistake - the high fastball Perez tomahawked out."

Reds manager Jerry Narron, who had a lot of fun last year talking about Bailey, feigned ignorance on Bailey's outing.

"I haven't seen it," Narron said. "What did he give up, one run or something like that?"

Bailey, 20, a right-hander, didn't sulk when he got sent down.

"His attitude was great," Reynolds said. "He learned a lot in big league camp. He knows exactly what he has to do. He's a smart kid."

Reynolds likes the synergy between Bailey and Louisville pitching coach Ted Power.

"I think they're going to be good together," Reynolds said. "Homer relates to Ted well. Ted has been through it."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...00360/1071/SPT

He has to get his offspeed stuff over more. It's that's simple.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I hope Reynolds is right about Power and Bailey working well with eachother.

Turn Off Ads?