Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Oden to the NBA

Oden to the NBA

Nothing's official yet, but I'm hearing from pretty reliable sources that Greg Oden and Mike Conley will both come back to school for one more year and it sounds like they will make it official at a public celebration tomorrow night at the Value City Arena.

I've said since the day Oden signed his letter of intent that he'd stay at least two years and I think I'm the only one who's stuck by that stance the whole time. I'm getting ready to pat myself on the back.

Stay tuned.

Edit: Well, according to his dad, he's going pro. My friend who has a connection with the coaching staff said that the staff is still under the same impression they were earlier this week and that they have not heard anything from Greg to make them think differently. I'm still holding out hope.
    Last edited by redsfan30; 04-14-2007 at 10:17 AM.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

Very good news. With him being so close to Conley and Conley staying I think that is a big factor in him staying.

If true, good for him, and Ohio St.

I don't know if he truly needs another year of playing college basketball, I mean he could make the jump now, but I think he will greatly benefit from returning.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The other big freshman Kevin Durant from Texas it looks like is going pro. There is a press conference at 5 PM in which he is supposed to announce that.

Cruisin' for trouble

No truth to the rumors that Durant's press conference will originate from Danny Ainge's living room.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    No truth to the rumors that Durant's press conference will originate from Danny Ainge's living room.

That is funny.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I was in the "he will stay camp" earlier this year but towards the end of the season I switched to the "he will go camp." I will gladly eat as much crow as given if I turn out to be wrong.

I would imagine if they stay it will be announced just before or at the public celebration thing. However, if we haven't heard by the end of the celebration then I'm thinking he'll go pro. He made it known he would wait a week after the NCAA tourney to announce his intentions and that would be this week. If he is planning on coming back he might as well say something so the fans can show appreciation and won't rain down the "1 more year" chants.

Also, on a positive note, I heard that he had enrolled and is attending classes this quarter so that would seem to support him returning.

Has anyone heard anything on Cook yet? I heard rumblings and my dad heard a rumor he was still thinking about going pro.

I'm about as pro-college as there is in the world. It is an unbelievably valuable life experience both from the educational and growing-up aspects as you can get. My kids know that college is a given thing in their future.

But I've got a 19 year old freshman son. A big part of going to college is acquiring the means for financial security. If someone offered him $14M plus a $50M shoe contract, I'd say "Son, you can always go back to college. This is a guranteed buying the winning lottery ticket. Go pro".

Pay attention to the open sky

Ooh if he stays he just made Kevin Durant a very happy boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'm about as pro-college as there is in the world. It is an unbelievably valuable life experience both from the educational and growing-up aspects as you can get. My kids know that college is a given thing in their future.

But I've got a 19 year old freshman son. A big part of going to college is acquiring the means for financial security. If someone offered him $14M plus a $50M shoe contract, I'd say "Son, you can always go back to college. This is a guranteed buying the winning lottery ticket. Go pro".
    Agreed.

It's a poor business decision.

Good for the Buckeyes.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I heard he played this year with a 10 million dollar insurance policy... he should definitely get that number upped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I won't believe it till I see it, but I hope you are right.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm not sure whether Oden needs another year of college, either.

Argument for returning: He's not as polished as he'll need to be in the NBA, particularly on offense. He needs to expand his offensive game and learn how to stay out of foul trouble.

Argument for going: College ball has so few legitimate centers, he's already a man amongst boys. How much is he going to learn pushing around lesser athletes for another year?

I'm not sure there's a wrong choice, just whatever he's comfortable doing.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I agree with you completely. If he goes pro he's set for life no matter what happens. But I'll play the devil's advocate for a second.

Oden Goes to the NBA: Oden gets all the big money and goes to the league. He ends up with whatever bottom dweller wins the first pick and is immediately annointed the savior. However, he will either sit the bench for a year to develop or be pushed into a starting role out of necessity and become a Kwame Brown because, in reality, his game is built on size. In the NBA he will have to guard true centers every game like Hibberd of G'town. While he will hold his own from a strength and size standpoint, he has no face up game and no real jumper. He also has shown this year he can't really guard guys that do have those games without getting into foul trouble. Finally, he doesn't have many good post moves, just a few that get him looks based on size. If he goes pro I can see him being successful but an all time great? No way. He will probably have a productive NBA career but will not reach his potential for future endorsements.

Oden stays another year: If Oden stays he has a good chance at winning the NCAA title. With Kufos coming in he will also have a great practice matchup. I think having to guard another 7 footer every day in practice, especially one with more of a perimeter game will help Greg tremendously. I think next year he will show us more of a face up game being able to hit mid range jumpers. I think with his wrist fully healing he won't be afraid to pop out for jumpers and handle the ball a little like Hibberd can do. I think we will also see a more mature polished defensive player. Guarding Kufos all the time in practice will improve his defense so he will pick up less cheap fouls. I think he can team up with Conley to lead the Buckeyes all the way to San Antonio. In fact, anything less would be a failure in the eyes of Buckeye fans. Then, he can bolt after next year and still get all his money. He is also much more prepared and can be a superstar right away. His endorsement dollars would be greater throughout his career and he has the better possibility of a HOF career.

Of course, the other side is gets seriously injured but with that $10 million insurance policy it sure isn't as serious of a risk.

That injury risk would be too great for me, though, if I were in his shoes. If I were him I'd have already sent in my papers for the draft.
    Last edited by Caseyfan21; 04-10-2007 at 01:02 PM.

I'd like to see Oden with two healthy wrists.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?