Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Oden to the NBA

Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I'd like to see Oden with two healthy wrists.
    ::Big Ten:: "I wouldn't!!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Nothing's official yet, but I'm hearing from pretty reliable sources that Greg Oden and Mike Conley will both come back to school for one more year and it sounds like they will make it official at a public celebration tomorrow night at the Value City Arena.

I've said since the day Oden signed his letter of intent that he'd stay at least two years and I think I'm the only one who's stuck by that stance the whole time. I'm getting ready to pat myself on the back.

Stay tuned.
    Sorry man, but unless your source is Greg Oden, I'll wait for the press conference.
    Cold Pizza, not the greatest source either, said he was all but in.
    I admire the faith you have in a season at OSU overcoming guaranteed millions, but if he were to do that, I can tell you without looking that he isn't taking business, economics or logic classes.

I hope he stays. I will be so disappointed if he goes to the NBA, it will be a sad sad day.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

OSU grad here: I think Oden could use another year of college seasoning. He needs to work on some things such as a quicker footwork, developing a 10 foot jumper, better footwork on defense away from the goal, etc. From everything I have heard is that he is a intelligent individual who enjoys the college life. Why rush that? I dont know if he can help or hurt his NBA stock much if he comes back another year but I do think he can become a better player and more NBA ready with another year. Not to mention a year smarter for a great osu education :

This past season I got sick and tired of commentaters and analysts specualting on whether he will go pro. For goodness sake let the guy play college ball without those idiots saying hes going or hes not going. I wish the NCAA would limit that kind of chatter.

Not that it means anything, but several people on the different OSU boards (Scout, Bucknuts, BuckeyePlanet) are all saying similar rumors. Not sure who RF30 heard his info from but there are multiple people all hinting at the same thing with (presumably) different sources. A few people have specifically said that "something big" will happen at the pep rally tomorrow night. Take it for what it's worth though and keep fingers crossed.

Just remember, that if you believe Bill Walton, coming back to OSU won't do anything to help Oden's game: http://mlb-police-blotter.aolsportsb...-of-greg-oden/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Nothing's official yet, but I'm hearing from pretty reliable sources that Greg Oden and Mike Conley will both come back to school for one more year and it sounds like they will make it official at a public celebration tomorrow night at the Value City Arena.

I've said since the day Oden signed his letter of intent that he'd stay at least two years and I think I'm the only one who's stuck by that stance the whole time. I'm getting ready to pat myself on the back.

Stay tuned.

I've heard the exact opposite. Oden was seriously considering staying, but he decided he didn't want to take a chance especially since his hand injuries. I think he'll go pro. Conley will definitely stay another year, but I think Greg leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I've heard the exact opposite. Oden was seriously considering staying, but he decided he didn't want to take a chance especially since his hand injuries. I think he'll go pro. Conley will definitely stay another year, but I think Greg leaves.
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Source?
    Look at his rep then think about the source.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I agree that he's obviously set if he goes pro immediately, regardless of the relative success he may experience. But as was mentioned, that's only considering it from a business standpoint. There is still more to his life presumably than just going on to that next level as quickly as possible. That next level surely is his ultimate target, but getting there as quickly as possible may indeed not be. Given his insurance policy and the fact that that $ really isn't going anywhere in a year, I can definitely understand him wanting to stay if he's as comfortable with his college life at OSU as I was (and I wasn't even adored by anyone, not to mention everyone! ).

And purely from a skill POV, as others have also said, I think he will clearly benefit from playing another year of college ball. I think he has some huge strides he can make at the college level that may take him much linger in the pros.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    And purely from a skill POV, as others have also said, I think he will clearly benefit from playing another year of college ball. I think he has some huge strides he can make at the college level that may take him much linger in the pros.
    I'm not sure that's true, although it could be in some cases. I hear that a lot, people talking about what such-and-so has to do before he gets to the league, as if it's expected that his development will come to a screeching halt when he starts getting paid. That can be true when you're talking about a guy with serious weaknesses who has to fix them lest he rot on the bench instead of getting real minutes. But if you're talking about a guy with a work ethic and who is good enough to play already, particularly at that young age, he's probably going to get better faster in the pros. He'll play more ball, and against better competition. As for the level of coaching, that kind of depends on where he ends up in the NBA and your opinion of Matta.

Having said that, I don't think coming back for another year is going to cause him any long-term harm, barring a career-type injury.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Article in the Dispatch says that Oden, Conley and Cook are going to meet in Indianapolis on Sunday to decide whether or not to declare for the draft. The tone of Conley Sr.'s quotes in that article is very non-commital about what any of the 3 might decide.
    /r/reds

There certainly have been alot of conflicting reports swirling around, but I'm going to stick by what I heard yesterday morning. I've got a good friend at Ohio State with a pretty close tie to the coaching staff and I was given this information before any of the same rumors began to float around.

According to my friend, the coaches and staff at Ohio State are under the impression from Greg and Mike directly that they will indeed return to Ohio State for their sophmore seasons.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Usually, a good rule of thumb on whether a guy will turn pro is to see where his press conference is at. If it's at school, he's staying. If it's elsewhere, he's going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Kyle Lamb, an insider over at the Ohio State scout board now is hearing there will be no announcement tonight, but still believes they are coming back.

Again, stay tuned.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?