Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Oden to the NBA

Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I'm not sure that's true, although it could be in some cases. I hear that a lot, people talking about what such-and-so has to do before he gets to the league, as if it's expected that his development will come to a screeching halt when he starts getting paid. That can be true when you're talking about a guy with serious weaknesses who has to fix them lest he rot on the bench instead of getting real minutes. But if you're talking about a guy with a work ethic and who is good enough to play already, particularly at that young age, he's probably going to get better faster in the pros. He'll play more ball, and against better competition. As for the level of coaching, that kind of depends on where he ends up in the NBA and your opinion of Matta.

Having said that, I don't think coming back for another year is going to cause him any long-term harm, barring a career-type injury.
    I think going back to school could only hurt Oden's draft prospects at this point. Everyone wrote off much of his offensive limitations this year as being a result of his wrist injury. And while that's true, when he comes back next year the expectations are going to be through the roof.
    If, for whatever reason, he can't reach them, his stock could tumble. Not out of the first round or even the top 5, but right now he's almost the consensus #1 pick. Not a lot of places to go from there.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Of course, I'm more than a little biased.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think going back to school could only hurt Oden's draft prospects at this point. Everyone wrote off much of his offensive limitations this year as being a result of his wrist injury. And while that's true, when he comes back next year the expectations are going to be through the roof.
    If, for whatever reason, he can't reach them, his stock could tumble. Not out of the first round or even the top 5, but right now he's almost the consensus #1 pick. Not a lot of places to go from there.
    That's how I see it as well. He's most likely the #1 pick right now. There really isn't any reason to return to school unless he has a real strong desire to try to win a national championship. I'd be recommending to him to make the jump now while his stock is so high. Lots of things can happen between now and the end of next season.

Oden could turn pro easily, Conley might have some size issues early on but would be OK, but Cook is crazy if he thinks he is within light-years of being pro-ready.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I heard he played this year with a 10 million dollar insurance policy... he should definitely get that number upped.
    Is the premium payed by the NBA?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

In other, better news - both Hansbrough and Lawson have announced they are returning next year for the Heels.

Rock on.

Oh, and Brandon Wright, who me, Blue and the world thought was an easy one and done still hasn't made a decision. The fact that its taken this long means he really is on the fence, which is better than I ever would have hoped. Get him back and look out.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Really, in this situation, the coach should be telling Oden to go pro. Otherwise, he is putting his own interests in front of those of the player.
    There is nothing Oden could learn about basketball in college that he couldn't learn, with potentially better instruction, in the pros IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    In other, better news - both Hansbrough and Lawson have announced they are returning next year for the Heels.

Rock on.

Oh, and Brandon Wright, who me, Blue and the world thought was an easy one and done still hasn't made a decision. The fact that its taken this long means he really is on the fence, which is better than I ever would have hoped. Get him back and look out.
    I think Hansbrough made a great decision, he wasn't quite NBA ready yet and I think he is going to dominate next year (even more than he did this year), I like his game and I look forward to watching him play. Even though one of my favorite teams is Duke, and he's going to kill them again this year.
    "three dimes, a one hundred dollar bill and and 87 ones..."

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    Really, in this situation, the coach should be telling Oden to go pro. Otherwise, he is putting his own interests in front of those of the player.
    There is nothing Oden could learn about basketball in college that he couldn't learn, with potentially better instruction, in the pros IMO.
    Yes and no. I heard an interview when Oden said that he would not go to the NBA until he new he could dominate. Right now Oden is ready for the NBA but is not at the dominant state that he wants to be. If I am Matta I tell him that he could play in the NBA right now but he wouldn't be able to play to the level that he wanted. I tell him that another year of the extra practice and attention he would get in college would benefit him greatly in terms of his game. Not to mention another year to grow and mature in a college environment could do wonders for him. He most definatly could go pro and start but I think he could learn more about himself and his game with another year of college.

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Rock on.

Couple of interesting notes on Wright and the UNC crowd...

Hansbrough and Lawson had already decided to return just after the tourney. They didn't want to announce it then, thinking it would put more pressure on Wright to make a decision. When it became more of a hassle than it worth, they went public.

Don't expect Wright to announce soon. Roy is on vacation and Wright won't announce anything until he returns at the end of next week (around the 20th?). In any case, Williams commented that Wright was putting off making the decision to the point that Williams told him he couldn't avoid doing so much longer.

The bad news, IMO, is with Oden possibly staying put, it elevates Wright's draft value and could be too tempting for him to resist.

They (1460) is now reporting they are announcing tonight at the rally they intend to go to the NBA.

Is it me or does that sound stupid to announce that at that rally (if true)?

I don't buy that 1460 report at all. There is no way they would announce it at the rally. No way.

The reaction would not be positive at all. They do not seem like the type of guys that would "rub it in" to the fans.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Maybe they are announcing but leaked a false report (and deciding to come back) to get the fullest effect out of the fans?

The info I was given yesterday was that they were ready to announce they were going to return tonight at the rally. I talked to my friend and he has not had a chance to talk to anybody so I'm not sure what's going on.

I still won't be shocked if they announce their return tonight.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    Couple of interesting notes on Wright and the UNC crowd...

Hansbrough and Lawson had already decided to return just after the tourney. They didn't want to announce it then, thinking it would put more pressure on Wright to make a decision. When it became more of a hassle than it worth, they went public.

Don't expect Wright to announce soon. Roy is on vacation and Wright won't announce anything until he returns at the end of next week (around the 20th?). In any case, Williams commented that Wright was putting off making the decision to the point that Williams told him he couldn't avoid doing so much longer.

The bad news, IMO, is with Oden possibly staying put, it elevates Wright's draft value and could be too tempting for him to resist.
    Yeah, Roy also stated that he has never seen anyone so laissez faire about this decision in his life. He told Wright then when he went home over Easter he should sit down and discuss it with his mom - when he got back he asked them if they sat down and talked. Wright says yes, but only for 10 minutes.

It really seems like a kid who doesn't want to go yet, but with the $$$ being bantied about others are forcing him to mull it over.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?