Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 201

Thread: Oden to the NBA

  1. #61
    Bada Bing cincy09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Zanesvegas, OH
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Perhaps not, but a negative - 55 is reaching uncharted territory, I do believe.
    How exactly does one get to -55 reputation?
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    837

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Put this in your pipe and smoke it boys and girls.


    Ohio State could lose Conley, Oden
    posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

    Ohio State freshman point guard Mike Conley Jr. was the most consistent player for the Buckeyes this season, the star during the team's run to the national title game. With NBA scouts now talking about him as a potential top-10 pick, Conley may declare for the draft.

    Ohio State always knew the possibility existed that center Greg Oden could be one-and-done, but the play of Conley down the stretch could force Ohio State to lose its two best players.

    "He's got to consider it, without a doubt," said Mike Conley Sr., who added that he is now a registered agent with the NBA.

    "He realizes that he can't blindly say that he's going back to school after he had decided that a month ago," Conley Sr. said. "Things have changed and he has to consider it."

    Conley hit the game-winning bucket with six seconds left to beat Wisconsin to win the Big Ten regular-season title. He scored 21 points (11 in overtime) in a win against Xavier in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. He scored 15 points with six assists and one turnover in a national semifinal win over Georgetown.

    Conley Sr. said he doesn't think his son or Oden, whom he coached during the summer circuit while Oden was in high school, will wait until the April 29 deadline. An Ohio State spokesperson said Tuesday that Oden hasn't set any kind of timetable for a decision.

    Conley Sr. said he anticipates being his son's and Oden's agent, so if they decide to declare, they wouldn't have the pressure to sign with an agent before the June 18 withdrawal deadline.

    "I anticipate them putting their name in, but not signing," Conley Sr. said. "Believe it or not, the boys are naive to the process and they need to be educated to all of it.

    "There are different dynamics with both of them," Conley Sr. said. "In Michael's case, he came on rapidly at the end and didn't have a lot of planning on this. People have been talking to Greg for a year or two on this, but it took Michael by storm."

    Ohio State's coaching staff could not be reached for comment Tuesday.


    For the record, I want Oden and Conley to both stay at OSU for all of the obvious reasons...but, if they can make the business decision to enter the draft and make a lot of money, then more power to them. The above article is an ESPN Insider article. I didnt provide the link because unless you are a subscriber, the link will not work for you.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

  4. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Well sounds like the pep rally is over and there was nothing said either way. I would say that isn't good for them staying, but looks like we're still waiting.

  5. #64
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,900

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    In other, better news - both Hansbrough and Lawson have announced they are returning next year for the Heels.

    Rock on.

    Oh, and Brandon Wright, who me, Blue and the world thought was an easy one and done still hasn't made a decision. The fact that its taken this long means he really is on the fence, which is better than I ever would have hoped. Get him back and look out.
    That team will be frightening next year.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  6. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,641

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Apparently, Thad Matta's quote to close out the evening was "If things go down the way I think they will, we're gonna have a hell of a team next year."

    Take that for what it's worth.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  7. #66
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,900

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Apparently, Thad Matta's quote to close out the evening was "If things go down the way I think they will, we're gonna have a hell of a team next year."

    Take that for what it's worth.
    That must mean that Matta just had his FY08 budget approved...<dodges rotten tomatoes>


    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  8. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,526

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    The possibility of Greg Oden coming back leads me to wonder: Will he be taking the "Advanced History of Rock n Roll" next year? Also, I know he got two credits for playing basketball as a Freshman. Does OSU give him five credits if he plays as a Sophmore? Just wondering.

  9. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The possibility of Greg Oden coming back leads me to wonder: Will he be taking the "Advanced History of Rock n Roll" next year? Also, I know he got two credits for playing basketball as a Freshman. Does OSU give him five credits if he plays as a Sophmore? Just wondering.
    You get one credit per quarter. Basketball season goes across two quarters. That's how it worked for me anyways.

  10. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The possibility of Greg Oden coming back leads me to wonder: Will he be taking the "Advanced History of Rock n Roll" next year? Also, I know he got two credits for playing basketball as a Freshman. Does OSU give him five credits if he plays as a Sophmore? Just wondering.
    Just so you know, Oden only took a lighter load due to the demands of the basketball season. Only twice during your collegiate career (2 out of 4 years) is a player allowed to use their sport as a 2 credit class as well. FYI, Oden is taking a full load this spring including calculus and biology among others. Certainly not your normal jock class load and it goes to show he is one of the few players that actually want to challenge themselves and take some worthwhile classes in college. He got way too much thrown his way for his class load last quarter and I wish people would publicize this quarter's class load as much as last quarters GEC's.

  11. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Apparently, Thad Matta's quote to close out the evening was "If things go down the way I think they will, we're gonna have a hell of a team next year."

    Take that for what it's worth.
    Interesting.

    I have a few thoughts on what I believe will happen (I don't have any sources so this is purely speculation):

    1.) Oden and Conley will go together on whatever decision they make whether staying or going.

    2.) At this point I can't see Oden coming back. Why not just say it yesterday and get it over with? I think if he wanted to dodge the spotlight he will announce today or tomorrow on campus. If we get to the weekend I would have to say he's almost certainly gone. Especially if he decides to announce from Indianapolis after this weekend's rumored meeting between him, Cook, and Conley.

    3.) I get the feeling Cook will probably do as Oden and Conley too. They stuck together for college and I get the feeling they may stick together now.


    I hope Oden stays but if he doesn't say anything between now and the weekend I think he's probably gone. Maybe this extended time frame shows he's really having a tough time making a decision. If that's the case I have a bad feeling because money has a great ability to sway decision making.

  12. #71
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    FYI, Oden is taking a full load this spring including calculus and biology among others.
    Darn you and your facts, getting in the way of a good old anti-OSU rant.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  13. #72
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,299

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The possibility of Greg Oden coming back leads me to wonder: Will he be taking the "Advanced History of Rock n Roll" next year? Also, I know he got two credits for playing basketball as a Freshman. Does OSU give him five credits if he plays as a Sophmore? Just wondering.
    Its actually not as easy of a class as you think. And it also meets a GEC class which every student at osu has to take. People are talking this the golf class that Katzenmoyer took.

  14. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mobile, Al.
    Posts
    291

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Just so you know, Oden only took a lighter load due to the demands of the basketball season. Only twice during your collegiate career (2 out of 4 years) is a player allowed to use their sport as a 2 credit class as well. FYI, Oden is taking a full load this spring including calculus and biology among others. Certainly not your normal jock class load and it goes to show he is one of the few players that actually want to challenge themselves and take some worthwhile classes in college. He got way too much thrown his way for his class load last quarter and I wish people would publicize this quarter's class load as much as last quarters GEC's.
    I agree that it should be aknowledged he is taking a full load.

    But, not that you said it does, it doesn't mean he's staying at OSU. People can still get an education and play pro basketball. I believe Shaq got his degree recently and Grant Hill's name sticks in my mind as well.
    All the more reason that it's pretty silly for Oden to stay.

    BTW, I am not an OSU hater. I just think it is silly that fans of a particular school think that their players should stay when, with any real scrutiny, those fans should realize they are hurting the chances of long term success for an individual they supposedly care about, just so they can see their school succeed in the short term.
    If Oden won Powerball tomorrow and never had to worry about money for the rest of his life, he should go play for the local Y league if that tickles his fancy. Otherwise, take the money and do the best you can with it and your talent.

  15. #74
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,415

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Greg Oden should take whatever classes he wants to. I say to hell with the idiots just looking for someone to bash. According to reports the guy is definately book smart.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  16. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Sounds like Oden will return.

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    I agree that it should be aknowledged he is taking a full load.

    But, not that you said it does, it doesn't mean he's staying at OSU. People can still get an education and play pro basketball. I believe Shaq got his degree recently and Grant Hill's name sticks in my mind as well.
    All the more reason that it's pretty silly for Oden to stay.

    BTW, I am not an OSU hater. I just think it is silly that fans of a particular school think that their players should stay when, with any real scrutiny, those fans should realize they are hurting the chances of long term success for an individual they supposedly care about, just so they can see their school succeed in the short term.
    If Oden won Powerball tomorrow and never had to worry about money for the rest of his life, he should go play for the local Y league if that tickles his fancy. Otherwise, take the money and do the best you can with it and your talent.
    Valid point and obviously if GO returned and was hurt and couldn't play NBA ball that would be a horrible thing. However it is very unlikely that will happen. I haven't been around that long but I can't think of one high profile player who has been injured and unable to play. People have brought up Kenyon Martin as an example of a person that has had a horrible injury and still had a lot of pro success.

    So when you consider that, fans of any school care more about the school's success than any individual. Ask any Ohio State fan if they want to win the NCAA tournament next year or have Greg Oden be the NBA Rookie or the Year I think everyone will say NCAA tournament. Is that selfish? Sure it is. But I'm a fan of the Ohio State Buckeyes more than I'm a fan of Greg Oden.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25