Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Catching Problem

Catching Problem

Anyone more then a bit concerned about David Ross. I think that he has proven that he was a one year wonder (1/2 a year really) and with our reduced offensive production we cant afford to have him hit .210. Anyone else notice last night with the bases loaded and a 3-1 count he got an 83 mph fastball and was late on it. He has such a long swing, he struggles to catch up to most fastballs. I know we lack outfield depth at the major league level, but does anyone else think we should ship some surplus pitching and add a quality bat behind the plate? At the very least Javy should play more, heck even give Moeller a shot because Ross cant hit major league pitching. At least get him out of the 7 hole and put Gonzo there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Catching Problem

holy small sample sizes batman. I'll start to worry after we are 3 or 4 weeks into the season.

The season is a week old, not quite enough time to describe Ross and his 06' season as a fluke.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

See me in 100 PA.

But, yeah, it bears watching.
    Makes all the routine posts.

He is no rookie. 2003 124 abs .258 avg. 2004 165 abs .170 avg (that is no mistake) 2005 230 abs .240 avg. Last year pre all star break .311 avg. and post all star break .203 avg. If you look at all his career numbers he is a weak second half contributor. If this was week one of his career in the bigs I would not be concerned, but this guy is who he is, a poor offensive player with average to above average power. I just think he is no long term answer and he is possiably a short term problem and we must address this as we have no real depth in our system at catcher (yes, that includes Perez, who will never be a hitter).

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Any good catching prospects in the draft this year?

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Any good catching prospects in the draft this year?
    There are a few. Hard to predict that ones that can stay behind the plate, though.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Honestly, it's not his bat that is scaring me. It's his very shakey defense. I don't expect my catcher to be a McCann, Piazza, etc. but I do expect them to be able to call games, block balls and make catches.
    Last edited by Dracodave; 04-10-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I remember when LaRue's 2006 season was viewed as just a small sample size. Before you know it...you're 8 games out and those small sample sizes are now gaping holes in your lineup.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    Honestly, it's not his bat that is scaring me. It's his very shakey defense. I don't expect my catcher to be a McCann, Pizza, etc. but I do expect them to be able to call games, block balls and make catches.
    Agreed, if he was playing solid D to date, it wouldn't be as bad. The dropped bunt/failed double play, not appealing the check swing ball last night. It just seems like his head isn't in the game too often.

throws 106. NBD.

At least get him out of the 7 hole and put Gonzo there.
    In the games I've been watching Gonzo has been hitting 7th and Ross 8th.

the catching problem is that there are three of 'em.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Thanks for quoting me, I had a typo and caught it!

Anyway, I think so much is missed when offense comes into play. Honestly, you're first-base offensive is the worst right now. You shouldn't have to platoon, get a solid stop gap..His name was Craig Wilson. That also means he comes off the bench as well as a power bat which right now, we lack.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the catching problem is that there are three of 'em.
    Three is a must for all contenders, isn't it? Especially when you have three quality ones.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I remember when LaRue's 2006 season was viewed as just a small sample size. Before you know it...you're 8 games out and those small sample sizes are now gaping holes in your lineup.
    LaRue was still injured, but like a trooper he played. I can't take his heart away from him, Larue may never bat over .250, but his defense right now..pales Ross period..
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?