Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you like to see healthier food at GABP?

Would you like to see healthier food at GABP?

This article pertains to Dodger Stadium, but it could apply to any ballpark I suppose. It's been a little while since I've been to Great American Ballpark, but I don't recall seeing many healthy food options. What types of 'healthy' food would you like to see offered at the ballpark? Would you pay a premium for it? I've been to other ballparks that offer options such as fruit plates, salads, deli sandwiches, and even sushi. It seems like the prices are even more inflated than normal ballpark fare though.

Doggone-good ballpark fare
    Stadium hoping to hit a home run with the addition of healthier snack options
    By Natalie Haughton, Daily News Food Editor
    Article Last Updated: 04/10/2007 12:11:13 AM PDT

You don't expect to eat healthy when you go to the ballpark. Beer, peanuts, hot dogs and Cracker Jack are the classic fare. Not anymore at Dodger Stadium. This year, seven Healthy Plate items have been added to the menu — available on carts on the field and loge levels behind home plate.
    Among the selections are a grilled vegetable wrap, spinach and strawberry salad, hummus with vegetable dippers, fruit salad, an oven-roasted turkey wrap, a turkey hot dog and even a veggie dog.

"Other Levy ballparks (where Levy Restaurants has the food contracts, such as Wrigley Field and Cominsky Park) don't do this," said Joseph Martin, executive chef, Dodger Stadium. "We're the first in the country."

"The Healthy Plate food is really all about options and choices and lifestyles, said Gilbert Verdugo, Southern California regional executive chef, Levy Restaurants. "We don't see it as a trend, we see this kind of food as a lifestyle — the way people live now.
    "There are times when you want a healthy choice — clean, fresh, great textures and flavors — and something out of the ordinary," he added, noting that his favorite among the new items is the spinach-strawberry salad.

"I deal with a lot of celebrities who want the choice of a hot dog, and then again, when they come with their wives, want to eat healthy. With friends, they toss caution to the wind, have fun and eat the dogs and other foods," Verdugo continued. Among those latter options are steak and chicken sandwiches, nachos, andouille sausage on a bun, corn dogs, Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, beer, and soda, along with items from California Pizza Kitchen, Carl's Jr. and Panda Express.

"The healthy-food idea was already in the works when I came on board (from Staples Center) last December," said Martin. It was conceived by David Meyers, the director of operations at Dodger Stadium, from feedback from guests and fans who desired healthy options.

But it was Martin who was charged with coming up with the specific ideas and recipes.

Before finalizing the selections, Martin and his colleagues had several taste tests. The items are being made fresh on game days in the Stadium Club (a membership-only restaurant at the ballpark offering upscale seasonal and local food creations) kitchen.

Although somewhat controversial over the years, the Dodger Dog (introduced April, 10, 1962, in the inaugural season) made by Farmer John is now grilled.

On opening day, Martin arrived at at the stadium at 4 a.m. to start grilling dogs.

"For Monday's opening game, we grilled 35,000 hot dogs," Martin said. (Normally just over 20,000 dogs are sold per game.)

If you're not looking for healthy choices, there's plenty more to tempt you during a game. If you watch the action from a Dodger Stadium suite, you'll have access to the awesome dessert cart laden with 24 sinfully rich, decadent items, ranging from taffy apples dipped in caramel with M&M's or chopped peanuts on the outside, chocolate chip, peanut butter, macadamia and white chocolate cookies, Snickers pie, six-layer carrot cake, triple-chocolate cheesecake, lemon bars, s'mores bars and much more.

---
    Natalie Haughton, (818) 713-3692
    natalie.haughton@dailynews.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Would you like to see healthier food at GABP?

I'm hardly there so I don't care.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

nah, just a better variety of good beer, not that lite pilsner swill... I'd smoke a cigar along with the beer, if they let me.

I'll eat healthy at home!
    sorry we're boring

I try to always eat healthy but I just can't see myself going to a ball game and getting a grilled vegetable wrap and a fruit salad. I don't think that would go over well. I think it was Humphrey Bogart who said, "A hot dog at the ball game sure beats a steak at the Ritz." Even though I don't buy concessions anymore (unless it's $1 hot dog night) give me a hot dog any day of the week.

I certainly don't go to the ballpark thinking about eating healthy. If others would prefer healthier choices, more power to them.

i would like to see something healthier. I was out in California last week and saw a game at Petco and a game at Edison Field. They had a few healthy options (Boca Burgers and stuff like that) and while I still went for the nachos (that bright yellow cheese would live through nuclear holocaust) I did appreciate the opportunity to eat healthy.

When you go to the ballpark, health is the last thing on your mind. Having fun is first..To me thats the idea of going to the ballpark, its an excuse for decadence.
    Last edited by Dracodave; 04-10-2007 at 03:59 PM.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

You can bring food into GABP so if you want healthier choices then bring those along with you.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    When you go to the ballpark, health is the last thing on your mind. Having fun is first..To me thats the idea of going to the ballpark, its an excuse for decadance.
    I can agree with that.

Healthy is not what I'd go after at the Ball Park, better quality though is always an option.

Last edited by Redsland; 04-10-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo
    Makes all the routine posts.

A trip to the ballpark wouldn't be the same without a roll of Tums in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    You can get fried baloney sandwiches at GABP? Sweet!

Here is what I want. I want the hot dogs wrapped in foil that taste 1000% better than the stuff on the grill. I want to get in line and not wait an entire inning becasue the food workers dont know what they are doing. I want to have a couple of beers and maybe some peanuts. I dont want gourmet hotdogs or cheesburgers or grilled chicken or etc. I want baseball food. Gone is the good food that used to be cheaper. Here is the expensive food that is about as tasty as cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Here is what I want. I want the hot dogs wrapped in foil that taste 1000% better than the stuff on the grill. I want to get in line and not wait an entire inning becasue the food workers dont know what they are doing. I want to have a couple of beers and maybe some peanuts. I dont want gourmet hotdogs or cheesburgers or grilled chicken or etc. I want baseball food. Gone is the good food that used to be cheaper. Here is the expensive food that is about as tasty as cardboard.
    All I want is slightly cheaper beer.

Turn Off Ads?