Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton's first homer

Re: Hamilton's first homer

Why didnt he stare at it like Griffey?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thats my boy, way to go josh. we are all proud of you back home.

There were about 5-6 of us who have known Josh since little league at the bar last night watching the game, needless to say... after the HR we celebrated.

Will he start tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by ncman31 View Post
    Thats my boy, way to go josh. we are all proud of you back home.

There were about 5-6 of us who have known Josh since little league at the bar last night watching the game, needless to say... after the HR we celebrated.

Will he start tonight?
    You would hope so. I think he earned it.

Is it just me, or does he have a gun from Centerfield?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I didnt get to watch the game. Anything significant or insignificant about his defense last night??
    He made the routine plays. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either. He did try to throw a guy out at third on a tag-up from 2nd, but the ball was hit really deep, and it didn't appear to me that Josh had his body squared up for the throw. The throw was strong, but it was off the bag about 10 feet.

I'm going by memory, and I was pretty tired though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think Freel will sit two in a row. Maybe he gets a start in Junior's place tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I don't think Freel will sit two in a row. Maybe he gets a start in Junior's place tonight?
    Not if Thom has anything to say about it!:thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by howyoufreelin View Post
    Is it just me, or does he have a gun from Centerfield?
    Anyone who has seen him throw knows he has a great arm. Was kind of over zealous last night though.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Not if Thom has anything to say about it!:thumbdown
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Senor Votto

Finally, a taste of success for Hamilton

By Tim Brown, Yahoo! Sports
    April 10, 2007

PHOENIX – Josh Hamilton, a big-league ballplayer for nine days, sober for 18 months and four days, homered Tuesday night for the first time in nearly five years.

Hamilton batted leadoff and played center field for the Cincinnati Reds in his first major-league start, and in his second at-bat against Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Edgar Gonzalez, pulled a changeup over the right-field fence at Chase Field.

The home run was the first major-league hit for Hamilton, the first overall draft pick by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in 1999, back when all of this was supposed to happen much sooner.

He's 25 now and on the Reds' roster as a fourth outfielder and five-tool, Rule 5 flier. That he is anywhere at all – his head clear, a bat in his hands, measuring an off-speed pitch – attests to the size of the fight in the little of him that was left a year and a half ago, and for five years before that.

His last official home run was June 29, 2002, playing for Class-A Bakersfield.

"So," he said almost under his breath, "it was a long time ago."

A few lifetimes, yeah. This one appears to be treating him better, though, and he it.

"You know, when I was away from baseball it seemed like things were going in slow motion, all the things I was doing, seeing the seasons go by," he said. "Since I've been back, it seems like such a whirlwind.

"It overwhelms me thinking about it. But, I can't think about it. I just have to let it go."

Hamilton is off the booze, off the cocaine, free from the suspensions and out of the life that led to the following media guide notations for his 2003-05 seasons: "Didn't play professionally."

With some trepidation, Major League Baseball allowed Hamilton to resume his career in Class A Hudson Valley late last June. Five months later, the Chicago Cubs selected him in the Rule 5 draft and traded him to the Reds, who had themselves a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, and also a big, strong, hard-swinging, hard-sliding ballplayer with still plenty to lose.

His wife, Katie, was not in the ballpark Monday, but she intends to be Friday in Chicago.

"I'm sure she was listening, or watching, if she could," he said.

An hour before game time, as handfuls of Reds players ducked their heads and passed nearby, Hamilton stood at the dugout's top step, looked people in the eyes and accepted their encouragement. As he did, he caught a hat and a pen and signed. A ball and a pen and signed. A program and a pen and signed.

When there was no one else shouting his name, he took his glove and departed for his first start, another step in which he'd first test the ground ahead of him.

Several times during the game, he said, he removed his cap to clear his view. Then he allowed himself a breath and a long look around.

The thought ran through his mind, he said, "There's no reason I should be here."

He let himself hear the hecklers, the people from behind who knew him only as HAMILTON 33. He said he smiled and wished he could tell them, "You have no idea where I've been or where I've come from. … It's just an awesome ballpark."

You got the feeling any ballpark would have done. But in this one, so cavernous that batting practice balls echoed forever off seatbacks and scoreboard panels, it would be special for a while.

In the third inning, Hamilton hit the first pitch he saw, a tumbler Gonzalez would regret, for a two-run home run. He was at second base before he'd realized what he'd done, and this time it was OK to keep running.

All those years continued to echo, all those wasted thoughts, those wasted nights, those wasted directions. They'll never fully die, maybe. And he'll start over tomorrow.

"The one thing that has impressed me since day one with him," Reds manager Jerry Narron said, "he's not made any excuses. He's been fully accountable for his past. He wants to get his life right and help other people."

He paused and thought about the home run, well-intended and well-struck.

"He's got a chance," Narron said, "to hit a lot more."

It had been a long time since anybody said that about Josh Hamilton. A very long time.

In that, Hamilton said, he arrived eventually at a single notion.

"Just basically thinking about not giving up," he said. "First of all, on life itself."

pulled a changeup over the right-field fence
    For anyone that actually cares, it was an awful slider that backed up over the plate.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    For anyone that actually cares, it was an awful slider that backed up over the plate.
    Changeup, slider...what's difference is facts when you are trying to win a pulitzer?

Can he be stopped?

I'd be okay with Freel starting over Kenny today, but I don't think Jerry will rest Ken against a rookie right handed pitcher. I'd rather see Hamilton than Freel in CF, however. Maybe give BP the day off and let Freel make a start at 2B?

For discussion purposes, Freel's splits against Lefties/Righties: L - .303/.424/.413 R - .261/.343/.394
    Same stats for Phillips: L - .299/.351/.423 R - .268/.315/.429

Phillips numbers aren't that different... giving him the day off wouldn't be a terrible thing...
    Last edited by Dunner44; 04-11-2007 at 01:34 PM.

I have been very impressed with him so far. He is a much needed extra bat in the ourfield. Don't really think we should platoon him with Freel yet, but should try to get him as many ABs as possible. I was skeptical about some of Krivsky's offseason moves this year, but so far Hamilton and Conine seem to be good moves.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Why didnt he stare at it like Griffey?
    First time to go yard in the bigs. I think he was in shock initially. He sure hustled down to first though.

Turn Off Ads?