Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got Reasons For the 3-Game Skid?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Got Reasons For the 3-Game Skid?

I do. It is easy to nitpick at this or that. Eric Milton (he started all this!) is always a good whippin' boy... but he cannot take the blame for the 3-game skid. The bullpen has not been the greatest (4ER, 3HRA, 8IP)... but still not the main reason in my book. The REDS starting pitching has not been awesome in the stretch (excpt Arroyo), but they have kept the team in the game (even Milton and Lohse!). 4.57 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP in those three games.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce your Cincinnati REDS offense. They are the main reason for this 3-game skid. Three games have produced a total of 9 Cincinnati runs. That might work in 1966, but it ain't workin' in 2007. Those 9 runs have been scored in 5 different innings... out of 29 innings at-bat. In other words the runs have been crossing the plate once every 5.8 innings. That ain't gettin' it done. They have 23 hits (8, 7 & 8) in 29 innings at-bat. That ain't gettin' it done.

Time to burn the bats and order some new ones from the Louisville Slugger plant. Or perhaps extra BP in the morning (if the Union will allow this mis-treatment). Not like the REDS have been facing Clemens or even Brandon Webb.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Got Reasons For the 3-Game Skid?

Yeah...........law of averages, especially on the road.

There offense is bad right now. I watched the game until about the 6th inning last night and what I saw was the lack of good ab's. Hamilton and Hatty were really the only batters who saw pitches and worked the counts. EE is a free swinger and we are just going to have to live with that. I just wish he would become more selective at the plate. The reds should have lit up the dbacks pitcher last night. He served up quite a few hard hit balls that were either over the wall or found their way to a fielder.

By the way is Hamilton a better leadoff that Freel? He shows more paitence and has a better knowledge of the strike zone.

New year same crap. Depending entirely too much on the HR to score runs. Some of the guys even appear to be swinging straight up in attempt to hit the ball out. I'm not sure what the solution is. But, I know the REDS haven't exactly faced Cy Young the past 3 games either.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

You hit it. Krivs is right about a team wins with pitching and defense but I think he forgot that they have to score some runs to win also.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

2 men LOB in the 10th. 2 men LOB in the 11th. I am NOT a proponent of small ball generally speaking, but with a tie game in extra innings, you cannot get 2 men on with none out and not score. Just sad.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Execution...plain and simple...

Failure to get runners advanced or get them in...

Failure to make a good 2 out-2 strike pitch to batters...

But I'm an optimist and try to remember the obvious: every team wins 60, every team loses 60, it's what you do with the other 40...

I like how Griffey's swing has looked better recently...
    I like Dunn's approach...
    I like how Lohse hung in and didn't get buried...
    I like Saarloos out of the bullpen, HR be damned...he's gonna be a weapon...
    I like the improved defense...Gonzalez is a big help...
    I like Hamilton as the 4th OF...he really is a major league hitter (bumps in the road not-withstanding)...
    I like Phillips starting to break out of it...
    I like the 1b platoon...
    I like the very solid pitching from the starters...

We have little margin for error...little things will hurt us more because we can't overwhelm you with talent...

But we are better...we are tangibly and intangibly better...baby steps...

And we'll be just fine tonight...you just wait and see!!

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Night games in a timezone 3 hours west caused problems in August and September for last year's Reds, too. All of those "old guys" need their beauty sleep.
    /r/reds

Ross is a horrible hitter. That might also be a problem. Who knew that Ross would hit worse than AGon?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

3 runs a game isn't going to get it done.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Ross is a horrible hitter. That might also be a problem. Who knew that Ross would hit worse than AGon?
    He did look terrible in the AB against Cruz last night. He didn't just make an out, he was lost completely. No clue. It would appear that by hitting him 8th that Narron doesn't exactly exude confidence in him to repeat last year either.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    3 runs a game isn't going to get it done.
    Castro will be at 3B tonight so that should help.

I know this isn't always a popular stance around here but I think the real problem is that this team just isn't all that good. The offense has holes, ifs, and maybes. The starting pitching is average at best once you get past Harang and Arroyo and the bullpen IMO just isn't going to be that good. This team is going to struggle to score runs and unless Harang or Arroyo are pitching that is going to be a problem. I won't even get started on what I think of Narron but I will say that I don't think he is helping anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Sanchez View Post
    I know this isn't always a popular stance around here but I think the real problem is that this team just isn't all that good. The offense has holes, ifs, and maybes. The starting pitching is average at best once you get past Harang and Arroyo and the bullpen IMO just isn't going to be that good. This team is going to struggle to score runs and unless Harang or Arroyo are pitching that is going to be a problem. I won't even get started on what I think of Narron but I will say that I don't think he is helping anything.
    I actually think thats the prevalent opinion around here on all fronts.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Castro will be at 3B tonight so that should help.
    NOOOOOOOOO
    Most Vottomatic Player

Turn Off Ads?