Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thom Brenneman is a breath of fresh air

Thom Brenneman is a breath of fresh air

I'm not saying his critque of every at bat was correct but our plate discipline is not good. In the eighth Freel should have been taking 1-0 -- not that the manager should put on the take -- but the goal is to get on base and 1-0 that's freel's best shot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thom Brenneman is a breath of fresh air

I agree that Thom Brennaman is an awesome addition to the staff, but I don't think him and Chris Welsh mesh very well in the booth. Welsh is way out of his league and it's obvious when they are together. I'd much rather here The Cowboy and Thom in the booth together.

Quote Originally Posted by howyoufreelin View Post
    I agree that Thom Brennaman is an awesome addition to the staff, but I don't think him and Chris Welsh mesh very well in the booth. Welsh is way out of his league and it's obvious when they are together. I'd much rather here The Cowboy and Thom in the booth together.
    I agree. It just seems like Thom and Chris are not on the same page.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Just for what it's worth....I didn't think anybody could annoy me more than Grande, but Thhhom came close. He's going to have to get a lot better.

On the other hand, Jeff Brantley sounds just great.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I agree. It just seems like Thom and Chris are not on the same page.
    The pair was very awkward last night. Chris is not used to dealing with sharp comments and while Thom was "very critical" about the Reds plate discipline, Chris was "over the top apologetic" and almost seemed annoyed that Thom was at all critical. They are not good together. Thom is much better with Brantley. Welch and Grande are better suited for each other and I'm not saying that is a wonderful thing.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Yes, Welch seemed distinctly uncomfortable when Thom was being critical.

I'd give Welch some time with that, he's used to working with George Grande, who is all sunshine and roses (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I'm enjoying Thom's "pointed observations." Sometimes he's a little over the top, but most of the time I find myself agreeing with him. Also, his on air personna here is different than it is on the national Fox broadcasts, and I like that- he's a Reds fans, you can tell.

Castellini wanted him here, and I'm sure Thom told him how he was going to be in the booth. I agree, he is a breath of fresh air!

Actually, I enjoy all of the Reds broadcasters, yes, even Goerge Grande. They all have different styles and approaches. It's not boring, that's for sure!!
    sorry we're boring

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    The pair was very awkward last night. Chris is not used to dealing with sharp comments and while Thom was "very critical" about the Reds plate discipline, Chris was "over the top apologetic" and almost seemed annoyed that Thom was at all critical. They are not good together. Thom is much better with Brantley. Welch and Grande are better suited for each other and I'm not saying that is a wonderful thing.
    Well said. I completely agree. There were a few awkward moments last night. You can almost tell that Chris is not to fond of his new colleague.

Personally, I think the criticism at times is a bit much, but like it for the most part. I still think I would rather hear Thom and Jeff over Chris and George any day.

Welch still wants to be "one of the boys" and doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. While it is a little over the top, Thom's criticism of the Reds plate approach has been right on the mark as far as I'm concerned. For this team to have any chance at all, they are going to have to get away from the entire team going to the plate with a free swinging mentality that lets mediocre pitching get into the 7th inning of games.

I don't mind the criticism. I'd much rather have an honest assessment of things than George's golly gosh gee willikers approach. But criticism doesn't have to be beaten into the ground. Criticize then move on. I'm watching/listening to a ball game not an analysis of the State of the Union speech. Also, criticism just for the sake of criticism is just as bad as no criticism at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm with you, Chip. I think he has been a tad over the top with his criticism's.

The only thing that bothers me about Thom is that this series he has spoken glowingly of the DBacks and he has been very critical of every red that isn't 35 years or older or whose name is not Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The only thing that bothers me about Thom is that this series he has spoken glowingly of the DBacks and he has been very critical of every red that isn't 35 years or older or whose name is not Hamilton.
    I've noticed that as well. It seems at some points that he is selling them to the viewers and showing off his knowledge of their ogranization. I chalk that up to the D-Backs being his former team, though. I wouldn't expect that too much this year when we're playing anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by howyoufreelin View Post
    I've noticed that as well. It seems at some points that he is selling them to the viewers and showing off his knowledge of their ogranization. I chalk that up to the D-Backs being his former team, though. I wouldn't expect that too much this year when we're playing anyone else.
    I think that's fairly common with any job. I haven't changed jobs in 8 years, but I still reference how we did things at the old place.

When MNF came back to Cincinnati two years ago, Al Michaels made a lot of comments about the region and his time in Cinci. It's only natural to comment on areas of familiarity.

Tom Brenneman is getting old, fast. He wasn't so bad when I listened to him only once a week or so. Every night is a bit much. Its ok for him to make his point, but we heard him the first time. He needs to let it go and move on. These broadcasts are about the Reds, not Tom Brenneman. On the other hand, I totally love to hear Jeff Brantley's comments.

I agree with most of the above said. I'm fine with telling it like it is, but after a while of not letting it go, it becomes annoying and Thom is dangerously close to that line.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?