Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton comparable to Grady Sizemore?

Josh Hamilton comparable to Grady Sizemore?

Granted we've only seen him start one game, but does Hamilton remind anyone else of Sizemore? A good leadoff hitter that has all the tools, and can certainly hit for power. They're both young and "crowd favorites" if you will, especially with the ladies. I might even go as far as saying that Hamilton shows a little more plate discipline and sees more pitches. I have no numbers to back that up, just observation.

Any chance Hamilton is in the lineup tonight? Just picked him up in fantasy and I want to play him! Maybe in place of Jr.?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Josh Hamilton comparable to Grady Sizemore?

No one really reminds me of Hamilton. To me he's Josh Hamilton when I look at him.

And I'm not sure if he's going to play tonight or not. I hope he does.
    Last edited by Degenerate39; 04-11-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Just for the heck of it, I pulled up Sizemore in the Cube. I was surprised how bad he was up until 2002 (before he was dealt to the Tribe).

Ages 18, 19, and 20 = Rookie, Low A and Hi A.......

912 AB's
    3 HR
    101 RBI
    57 of 79 SB
    .271 AVG
    .371 OBP
    .718 OPS

In 2002 , he goes in the trade to Cleveland's high A (Kinston) and tears it up for the rest of the summer.

Then proceeds to be fairly average in 2003 and 2004 at AA (Akron) and AAA (Buffalo). Look at the numbers. Nothing, not even SB's stands out in those two years.

How this guy all of a sudden became a star is amazing. As for the comparison to Hamilton. Sizemore is a year younger and already has a pretty good head start, but Hamilton and him do have similar games from an athletic standpoint. Don't get me wrong, Josh still has some work to do, but If and that's a big IF he ever can became a Sizemore type, I would say he's 2-3 years away at minimum.....

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Sizemore.shtml

I think larry walker might be a decent comparison. Hamilton has the potential to hit for above average and above power. With good defence and good speed. He is truly a 5 tool player.

By no means did I mean that Hamilton is at Sizemore's level yet. I should have made that more clear.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    By no means did I mean that Hamilton is at Sizemore's level yet. I should have made that more clear.
    I think your post was pretty clear. Hamilton has a similar game to Sizemore and can he reach that level? I agree that there is a valid comparison there.

Personally, I think "The Natural" can and will get to that level in a couple years. Just a gut feeling.

One of the differences that I see between the two is that Cleveland is an organizatoin who has given their younger players a chance to succeed. A younger player with talent is put in the lineup everyday and left in their to play. This leads to the development of players. They accept that young players are going to have some bumps in the road but realize that in the end it will be beneficial to not only the player but also the ball club. The reds on the other hand are content with status quo. They have shown to be unwilling to play a rookie over a veteran. They are unwilling to take a few lumps in order to improve in the long run. Sure Aurilla had a decent season last year but in retrospect wouldn't you have rather had EE get as many ab's last year as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    One of the differences that I see between the two is that Cleveland is an organizatoin who has given their younger players a chance to succeed. A younger player with talent is put in the lineup everyday and left in their to play. This leads to the development of players. They accept that young players are going to have some bumps in the road but realize that in the end it will be beneficial to not only the player but also the ball club. The reds on the other hand are content with status quo. They have shown to be unwilling to play a rookie over a veteran. They are unwilling to take a few lumps in order to improve in the long run. Sure Aurilla had a decent season last year but in retrospect wouldn't you have rather had EE get as many ab's last year as possible?

That's just crazy talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's just crazy talk.
    Chip, stop pointing out the flaws of other organizations. We all know Cleveland has had no success since 1954 or whatever. Their methodology for completing a roster and starting line up is ludicrous [and I don't mean the rapper]. We will no doubt reach the play offs a dozen times before their next appearance!

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sure Aurilla had a decent season last year but in retrospect wouldn't you have rather had EE get as many ab's last year as possible?

Great point. The problem with the Cast regime seems to be that they would rather play about 500 ball every year, instead of trying to get better for the longterm.

Just look at this past offseason. Wayne did well in the rule V draft, but other than that, Sarloos is really the only acquision that could be considered young.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Just for the heck of it, I pulled up Sizemore in the Cube. I was surprised how bad he was up until 2002 (before he was dealt to the Tribe).

Ages 18, 19, and 20 = Rookie, Low A and Hi A.......

912 AB's
    3 HR
    101 RBI
    57 of 79 SB
    .271 AVG
    .371 OBP
    .718 OPS

In 2002 , he goes in the trade to Cleveland's high A (Kinston) and tears it up for the rest of the summer.

Then proceeds to be fairly average in 2003 and 2004 at AA (Akron) and AAA (Buffalo). Look at the numbers. Nothing, not even SB's stands out in those two years.

How this guy all of a sudden became a star is amazing. As for the comparison to Hamilton. Sizemore is a year younger and already has a pretty good head start, but Hamilton and him do have similar games from an athletic standpoint. Don't get me wrong, Josh still has some work to do, but If and that's a big IF he ever can became a Sizemore type, I would say he's 2-3 years away at minimum.....

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Sizemore.shtml
    It was my understanding that Sizemore was projected to be very good (not as good as he is but very good) even though the numbers didn't back it up. I think he is an example of how scouting can work over just looking at numbers. I remember when the deal went down that the talk was Sizemore could be the best player in the deal long-term even though Phillips was considered to be a future star.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

It was my understanding that Sizemore was projected to be very good (not as good as he is but very good) even though the numbers didn't back it up. I think he is an example of how scouting can work over just looking at numbers. I remember when the deal went down that the talk was Sizemore could be the best player in the deal long-term even though Phillips was considered to be a future star.
    Exactly. Sizemore has been considered a possible star throughout his professional career, despite his having less than dominant minor league numbers. Minor league numbers can be deceiving.

Hamilton and Sizemore have several similarities, but time on task is not one of them. Hamilton will need many hundreds of ABs and games to have a chance of catching up to where Sizemore is. I doubt he can get there. Sizemore is really, really good.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 04-11-2007 at 03:45 PM.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Great point. The problem with the Cast regime seems to be that they would rather play about 500 ball every year, instead of trying to get better for the longterm.

Just look at this past offseason. Wayne did well in the rule V draft, but other than that, Sarloos is really the only acquision that could be considered young.
    I respectfully disagree, RED. Cast has only owned the team for a little over a year, and has had one offseason. In retrospect, the decision to stay out of the market was a good one, given the astronomical salaries; everyone is hanging onto their youngsters because they're cheaper and have more upside than most vets do.

You say he did well with Rule V this year, and I agree- in fact he did great, with acquiring both Hamilton and Burton. I can see Hammy in CF for the next 10 years, batting third, and Burton becoming the closer, in time. Not bad for getting two young guys from outside the organization, nearly major league ready, in the offseason. We'll see what the next draft brings,and how the guys drafted last year do.

O'B gets a lot of flack here, sometimes from me too, but the guy did draft well.
    There is some help down below, in Bailey, Votto, Bruce.

Catching is a glaring need in this organization. I'd love to see him address that very soon.
    sorry we're boring

I don’t have any problems with what you’re trying to communicate to us.

It seems to me that if what I read is true from many of you daily in Redszone, that each of the current Reds players all have “bumps” or holes in their games, regardless of their last name or experience. If that is true then I struggle with not giving Hamilton ample playing time regardless of what “bumps” he might bring. Hamilton potentially has all the “tools”.

Which current Reds player with their “bumps” and holes in their game can we really say that about today? I can’t see any valid reason for Hamilton sitting on the bench most days while it really would not hurt to give some of the other bumps a day off.

In terms of skill set, I think he has more power than Sizemore. It's impossible to predict statlines given his lack of history, but in terms of raw skills, the only question in my mind is his contact rate / BA. His approach at the plate is simply amazing given how few ABs he's had.

I'd love to see a:

Freel (2B)
    Hamilton
    Dunn
    EE
    Junior
    BP (SS)
    Hat/Conine
    Ross/Valentin

lineup at some point in time. That is by far our best offensive lineup and not bad defensively either. If we get a lead with it come the 6th inning and the pitcher's spot up, we shift Freel to RF, throw AGone at SS, and BP to 2B. Or you start AGone at SS, have Freel off the bench as your PH/PR when the starter is ready to go and go from there. We could really use Hamilton's power and patience in the lineup until he proves it's not for real.

I'm drooling already.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-11-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?