Castro SS
    Harang P

2. Turn Off Ads?
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Will Hamilton Start Friday???

The Enquirer says yes.

Expect Reds To Play Hamilton

From the article:
    "We've got to get him on the field with what he's done," Narron said. "It's not easy playing four outfielders. But we'll work it out."
    ----------------------------------------------

I'm sure Narron realizes he can play Freel at 2nd and move Phillips to SS while Gonzalez is out, but I'm not sure he's willing to take the defensive hit. Castro @ SS + Phillips @ 2B + Hamilton @ CF > Phillips @ SS + Freel @ 2B + Hamilton @ CF defensively. We'll see ... either way, having too many options is a good problem to have.

EDIT: It took me so long to enter my message (work keeps getting in the way!) that the lineups are out. He sat Freel...I guess he really values the defense up the middle.
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 04-13-2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: I M slooooooow

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    To give Tampa Bay credit, they had him for eight years and he showed nothing in rookie ball last year. That he's been able to completely remake his game without the benefit of playing is astounding. There's no point in looking to baseball for precedents. He's a mix of Bernard Malamud, O Henry, Horatio Alger, Arthur C. Clarke and Roger Zelazny.

The D-Rays had no way of knowing he'd enter the realm of living narrative. Where the story goes is anyone's guess. He could be a star or his bubble could burst. Yet Tampa Bay's loaded with prospects it had to keep on the 40-man roster and what Hamilton's done the past two months is surreal. If anything, it's yet another indication that the universe exists to mock the Devil Rays.
    I don't doubt that any of this is true, but I suppose the astounding part of this story, for me, is that he was made available in the Rule 5 draft. It's not that the Rays lost him, it's that they literally gave him away.

That Hamilton's even playing at the major league level--much less having some degree of success doing it--is certainly an unheard of story. It's exceptional. Still, the talent had always been there, and with Hamilton's newfound focus on taking advantage of his "last chance", I would have thought the Rays would have at least been the team to give him that chance. After all, they had invested so much into him.

Clearly, though, I'm wrong. And, no, contrary to weather reports, the sun doesn't shine too bright on Tampa Bay.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

And, no, contrary to weather reports, the sun doesn't shine too bright on Tampa Bay.
    With the roster the Rays have, I wouldn't take a chance on Josh Hamilton. Everybody's surprised at how well he's doing, which means nobody thought he would come back. And as much as I love Hamilton, I'm not willing to say he's worth it just yet, becuase he could go Deion Sanders on us tomorrow.

And if I'm Tampa Bay- an outfield of Delmon Young, Carl Crawford, and Baldelli or Dukes isn't anything to be ashamed of.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    And if I'm Tampa Bay- an outfield of Delmon Young, Carl Crawford, and Baldelli or Dukes isn't anything to be ashamed of.
    Truth. Tampa Bay has a fairly good crop of prospects out there. Its hard to argue with the logic of not protecting Hamilton.

Hell, the Reds aren't protecting Jay Bruce currently, and he looked all-world at Single-A ball last year.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

They don't have to protect Jay Bruce yet. When the time comes, if they don't put him on the 40-man, they will lose him too...

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    And as much as I love Hamilton, I'm not willing to say he's worth it just yet, becuase he could go Deion Sanders on us tomorrow.
    But that's kind of my point. You're not ready to say Hamilton is "worth it"--but what is "it"? He's earning the league minimum and taking up a roster space, and if he goes Prime Time on us he can be jettisoned back to the Rays for $50 grand. That's nothing.

Sure, the Rays have a fine outfield, and perhaps there was no place for Hamilton there. It's the fact that he was left exposed to the Draft, where he could be lost for literally nothing, that surprised me. When you have to pay nothing, why not take a flyer on him? I'm sure that was the Reds thinking. And as for the Rays, like I said they had invested millions in the kid, not to mention countless coaching hours and otherwise--you'd think they'd appreciate some degree of return on their investment, even if it was only a couple of low-level prospects. Instead they got nada.

Undoubtedly, Hamilton's level of play thus far is making Tampa's decision seem much worse; but I had these thoughts from the moment the Reds claimed him in the draft. A player with these tools--even one who to that point had shown no signs of ever fully utilizing them--would surely be worth *something*.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

After today, I am guessing he should go ahead and start tomorrow too...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

And as for the Rays, like I said they had invested millions in the kid, not to mention countless coaching hours and otherwise--you'd think they'd appreciate some degree of return on their investment, even if it was only a couple of low-level prospects. Instead they got nada.
    I haven't followed the saga as closely as you guys have, but I'm guessing the thinking is this: if you've already put in millions, and you have one of the best young outlfields in baseball as it is, why not cut your losses?

It's much easier for a team who has nothing vested in him but a roster spot to give him a chance than a team like the Rays who have a farm system that is filthy rich with talent and an offense that stacks up against anybody's.

I like Hamilton as a chance pick up rather than a long term investment that got off to the start he did here.

But in hindsight, sure, the Rays made a mistake so far, and I'm pretty happy they did, even though I'm really starting to like the Rays.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

ESPN ran a piece last night on Hamilton, not sure exactly when it was shot, but all the footage they showed of him was still in Rays gear. I came in after the intro to it so I'm sure I probably missed where they said what a hot spring he was off to for the REDS but if I didn't know any better I would have thought he still played for Tampa based on the clips.

Why can't the worldwide leader get a couple recent video clips to attach to the story? I know it's nit-picky but it irritated me...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    After today, I am guessing he should go ahead and start tomorrow too...
    Hamilton had a little trouble with lefties today. Struck out against them last two at bats. Might not be ready to start against Cubs lefties Sat and Sun. Freel should start those games.

All of our lefties struggled today vs their lefties. He should remain in there, hopefully it's cloudy though, that drop was brutal. Though wrigley is tough on outfielders.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Turn Off Ads?