Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton will be Rule 5 Poster Boy

Hamilton will be Rule 5 Poster Boy

In future years, Hamilton will be cited as why teams should draft in Rule 5. For years it was Clemente, then Santana.

Starting this fall, it will be Hamilton, and the Cubs picking him for the Reds will look like one of the all time Cub screw-ups.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hamilton will be Rule 5 Poster Boy

I hope so. That would be great. The guy has been amazing so far.

IMO, the real test will be how he performs after about 200-300 at bats when the league learns him. Will he be able to adjust? I'm not predicting it either way. I hope he can maintain his great production, as our offense definitely needs him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

As long as Santana's in the league he's the poster boy.

IMO, the real test will be how he performs after about 200-300 at bats when the league learns him.
    He'll be doing some learning, too. Usually, they say pitchers have the advantage when neither has see the other.
    "The real test" has been a moving target in the Hamilton debate. For a while, it was the latter part of spring training. Then, the regular season. Now, it's 200-300 ABs. Sure, making adjustments is a huge part of the game for every young player, and it will be for Hamilton, too. But I fail to see how anyone who's been watching could say that he hasn't proven anything significant about his ability to compete at the major league level, whether it be immediately or down the line.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Dan Uggla also makes the cut in the Rule 5 poster (montage version).

This Hamilton story is just too good to be true. I'm waiting for Maurice Clarett to break out of jail and kill him or something. This can't really be happening. Hamilton looks like a star. Not a future star. A star right now.

I think that with Hamilton's success - and if Burton pitches the way he did in ST - teams will be more likely to use Rule 5 as a way to acquire talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Santana and Uggla were both good Rule 5 pick-ups, but I don't remember them being quite so publicized as such at the time. I only learned they were Rule 5ers after the media made such a big deal of Hamilton. I really think that Josh (if the success continues) will change the way teams think about protecting players because I think more teams will be looking with open eyes when the Rule 5 Draft comes along.
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Senor Votto

Either way Hamilton is the steal of the year

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Either way Hamilton is the steal of the year
    Any grief that Krivsky may still be dealing with in regards to "the trade" will be forgotten if Hamilton continues to look like a steal.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 04-12-2007 at 11:43 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Any grief that Krivsky may still be dealing with in regards to "the trade" will be forgotten if Hamilton continues to look like a steal.
    You have a point there

Nah, "the trade" will never be forgotten, no matter what other moves Wayne makes.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He'll be doing some learning, too. Usually, they say pitchers have the advantage when neither has see the other.
    "The real test" has been a moving target in the Hamilton debate. For a while, it was the latter part of spring training. Then, the regular season. Now, it's 200-300 ABs. Sure, making adjustments is a huge part of the game for every young player, and it will be for Hamilton, too. But I fail to see how anyone who's been watching could say that he hasn't proven anything significant about his ability to compete at the major league level, whether it be immediately or down the line.

Well, for me, the test was never spring training. I think 200-300 at bats is pretty generous.

Dan Gladden hit something like 350 in his rookie season and then fell down to average at best. He said the pitchers adjusted to him, and he couldn't readjust.

My point is that after Hamilton gets 200-300 at bats (probably sooner), word will get around the league about how to pitch to him. He'll get a steady diet of pitches that he struggles the most with. If he can adjust to that, then I'll be convinced, he's the real deal.

His batting eye and power have been quite impressive so far. I didn't mean to imply he hasn't had an impressive start.

I am fired up right now about Josh Hamilton. But I'm sorry, it's going to take alot more than that to make me forget about "the trade". I will withhold final judgement until the trade deadline this year and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Nah, "the trade" will never be forgotten, no matter what other moves Wayne makes.
    What if he had some Babe Ruth DNA and was able to make a babe clone that could hit 60 homers and pitch 200 innings?

No, I didn't think so.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Senor Votto

I think Wayne has had more ups than downs so far with the Reds. Brandon Phillips was a steal, Bronson Arroyo was a good trade (I still miss Willy Mo though), signing Gonzo, trading for Hamilton, Ross was a good trade last year but now not so much, and he did improve the bullpen.

Turn Off Ads?