Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EdE all over ESPN for the wrong reason

EdE all over ESPN for the wrong reason

They keep showing the pop out, and showing it, and dogging him... and giving major props to Jerry Narron.....

While I think its a big deal, i don't think its that big of a deal....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cruisin' for trouble

Re: EdE all over ESPN for the wrong reason

I'm betting EdE doesn't find his way into those types of highlights in the future...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am trying to figure out how this is such a big deal....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

why....... you'd never see a Yankee do that and if they did they would never see the field again. If they pop up happend to be dropped it not only makes EE but makes the rest of the staff look bad for not having discipline.

While Edwin messed up last night, we need to keep remembering what a good player he truly is. I believe that he is going to be a top-notch Red for a long time. Encarnacion has always been a hard worker, an eager learner, and has a world of potential. I don't disagree with Narron's decision last night... but i think we need to keep the whole thing in perspective. Without Edwin, the Reds future is not nearly so bright.

I agree-to me it's not even a certainty that he dogged anything.....name me three big leaguers that routinely sprint to first on balls they think they've fouled out of play...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Doro View Post
    why....... you'd never see a Yankee do that and if they did they would never see the field again. If they pop up happend to be dropped it not only makes EE but makes the rest of the staff look bad for not having discipline.
    Let me pose this question to you....
    Pop up to LF. Adam Dunn cant find the ball due to lights/dome/whatever and it drops in for a triple. Does Narron go pull him out of the game for not hustling? Do the fans go nuts? Does the national media make a big deal out of it? How are these two things any different?

If he were a big star it wouldn't be that big a deal. I could see Bonds doing it and they would say nothing.

Heck Kareem didn't even play defense the last couple years of his career. There are times he didn't even cross the time line. It all depends on your status. EE hasn't earned the right to misjudge a pop out yet and not hear about it.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

You'd never see a Yankee lose track of a ball they thought was foul and by the time he figured it out it was really too late to do anything? I bet it happens, and probably this season.

Thats the problem, this isn't a lazy thing, this isn't a poor work ethic, this is a mistake on the kids part, thats all.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Let me pose this question to you....
    Pop up to LF. Adam Dunn cant find the ball due to lights/dome/whatever and it drops in for a triple. Does Narron go pull him out of the game for not hustling? Do the fans go nuts? Does the national media make a big deal out of it? How are these two things any different?
    Your attempted comparison case is, at best, spurious in its logic. To ask a fielder who is uncertain of the location of a batted ball to simply run, full speed, in some randomly proscribed direction (or in circles, or whatever) would be the hight of nincompoopery.

On the other hand, to ask a batter who is unceratin of the location of a batted ball to simply run towards first base (or at least, feign some interest towards first base once he has located the ball hovered 200 feet up in the air over the second baeman, as Edwin did last night) is just good common sense.

I agree this is not the end of the world. But Edwin fricked up twice. One: he had no clue where the ball was. Two: when he found it, he still didn't do anything. No long-standing grudges necessary. But no free passes allowed, either.

Dunn not finding a ball in the lights is a lot different..... if you cant see the ball then you cant see it..... its a lot different that not caring to run.

The ball was still in the air when EE finally found it. He had time to make an effort.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    On the other hand, to ask a batter who is unceratin of the location of a batted ball to simply run towards first base (or at least, feign some interest towards first base once he has located the ball hovered 200 feet up in the air over the second baeman, as Edwin did last night) is just good common sense.
    It was my impression that Edwin thought he fouled it straight back. It wasn't a matter of him not knowing where the ball was. In his mind, the ball had been fouled back. Not many guys are going to sprint to first base in that instance. Granted, I haven't seen the replay yet. I'm going off what I've read.

Dunn not finding a ball in the lights is a lot different..... if you cant see the ball then you cant see it..... its a lot different that not caring to run.

The ball was still in the air when EE finally found it. He had time to make an effort.
    in real time Edwin had about half a second before the guy caught the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    Your attempted comparison case is, at best, spurious in its logic. To ask a fielder who is uncertain of the location of a batted ball to simply run, full speed, in some randomly proscribed direction (or in circles, or whatever) would be the hight of nincompoopery.

I agree this is not the end of the world. But Edwin fricked up twice. One: he had no clue where the ball was. Two: when he found it, he still didn't do anything. No long-standing grudges necessary. But no free passes allowed, either.
    He thought it was out of play, which is why he actually stepped back into the batters box. He reached out across the plate to hit the ball, looked behind the dugout, turned and stepped back into the batters box. He thought the ball was out of play, so why would he run to first?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

As long as its over and done with today and EE resumes his spot as the team's everyday 3rd baseman on Friday, I have no problem with Narron doing this.

FWIW, if I'm teaching kids to play ball I tell them: "When in doubt, run." If EE didn't know where the ball went, his first instinct should be to run and worry about being called back to the box later.

Just IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?