Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Record/Golf Score

Reds Record/Golf Score

I started a thread last year that several of you enjoyed, so I'll bring it back for this year. For those who are new or didn't see it last year, it's basically a way I've always broken down the season into a golf scorecard.

There are 162 games in a season, and 18 holes on a golf course. If you divide 162 by 18, you get 9. That means that every nine games the Reds play is the equivalent of one hole of golf. Next, we need to establish par. If you watch a tournament, even par isn't going to be good enough to win, but it will probably have you on the leaderboard on Sunday and you'll probably cash a nice check. In baseball terms, I figured that number to be about 90 wins...not going to be enough to make the playoffs in most seasons, but probably going to have you in the chase through most of September and probably keep your fans relatively happy. So, if 90 wins is "par", we just divide 90 by our 18 holes and get 5. That means if the Reds go 5-4 over a nine game stretch, they get a par. 6-3 would be a birdie, 4-5 a bogey, etc.

I started doing this when I was younger as a way to keep an even keel throughout the season, much like I realized I needed to keep an even keel on the golf course. How many times do you make a double or triple bogey and then wind up wasting the next couple of holes because your head is still ticked off about that putt you just missed? I started playing better golf when I learned to let the bad shots disappear and focus instead on only the next shot. Today, I can make a double bogey and calm myself by reminding myself that I'm still on track to reach my goal for the day.

Similarly, last night's victory in Arizona completes 2007's first hole with a par (5-4). It would be easy to get upset about how it should have been a birdie (or maybe even an eagle), but I also remind myself that par is a good number, it keeps us on track with my overall goal for the season, and now I can just focus on the next game, series, and hole. That's not to say I wasn't upset on Monday and Tuesday nights, or that I won't be thinking of those games when we're 1 game out in mid September. I'm just saying this segmentation of the schedule helps me keep a positive outlook. Would have been nice to get an opening birdie, but you give me 17 more pars, and I'll take my chances in September.
    "A cold day at the park beats damn near anything." - SC Reds Fans

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Record/Golf Score

Execellent perspective!

If we can start the back nine at par, I would be very happy. Perhaps if we get to the 12th green, and we're still at par, WK will consider looking at a picking up a new state-of-the art driver, or at least replacing a couple of those cheap K-mart clubs with a Callaway or TaylorMade.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

How we doin so far?

I expect the Reds to have a Mickelson at the 2007 Masters type number by the end of the year.

This is one of my favorite features on here. Thanks for bringing it back...

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Great concept

I love this concept, but I somehow lost track of the thread last year. It'd be great to see this updated !!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

I agree. Keep this thread going. Every 9 games post how the Reds did and then maybe a preview of who the next nine are against.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I expect the Reds to have a Mickelson at the 2007 Masters type number by the end of the year.
    That west coast roadtrip last year was certainly the equivalent of tripling the first hole on a Sunday.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Well the next 9 are

7 at home and 2 on the road brokendown as:

2 Mil @home
    2 Hou @ home
    3 Phi @ home
    2 StL @ away

Should be able to go 4-3 at home and get a 1-1 start to the road trip.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

We have a 3-game series in Chicago starting Friday.

If you do a search for "golf score", you can find last year's thread. It was kind of interesting reading through it this morning and reliving the ebbs and flows of the season. The catastrophe on the west coast was the last straw...never got updated after the 16th hole! Last year, by the way, had a brilliant double eagle on #2...let's hope we can recreate that magic again this year!
    "A cold day at the park beats damn near anything." - SC Reds Fans

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Hole number two worries me. Maybe it's the extreme wind condions (Chicago) combined with tight fairways and an extremely long rough (GABP). I predict a bogey.

3-2 on this hole so far. 2-2 the next four gets Reds to another par. 3-1 and it's a birdie...

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    If you do a search for "golf score", you can find last year's thread. It was kind of interesting reading through it this morning and reliving the ebbs and flows of the season. The catastrophe on the west coast was the last straw...never got updated after the 16th hole! Last year, by the way, had a brilliant double eagle on #2...let's hope we can recreate that magic again this year!
    The clubs got thrown into the lake.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    The clubs got thrown into the lake.
    And subsequently defecated on by a bear.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Turn Off Ads?