Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

  1. #1
    Fielder's Indifference fisch11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Warsaw, OH
    Posts
    2,334

    Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    I was listening to the Arizona announcers on Extra Innings last night, and they were talking about how great of a SS Alex Gonzalez is after that beautifully attempted DP. One announcer mentioned something like, "It's amazing to think that this kid has never won a Gold Glove." And talked about how someday he would win one. This got me curious as to how he ranks against past Gold Glove winners.

    Below are the career fielding percentages at SS from past Gold Glove winners
    D. Jeter .975 FP
    A. Rodriquez .974
    O. Vizquel .984
    B. Larkin .975
    E. Renteria .969
    R. Ordonez .976
    O. Smith .978
    D. Concepcion .971
    C. Ripken .979
    A. Gonzalez .970

    So I guess it's not as shocking as I originally thought that he hasn't won any, but he does have a better career fielding percentage than Renteria (who won 2 Gold Gloves). From what I've seen of this guy, it is hard to believe that he doesn't have one in his trophy case, but the numbers aren't convincing.

    And just for fun, Maury Wills won a couple with a .963

    Discuss...
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Something clever pahster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,908

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Fielding percentage is about as worthless a stat as any. It doesn't take into account the range of a fielder and it makes use of errors, which are almost entirely subjective in nature.

    Not that it matters. You have to be a good hitter to win a Gold Glove anyway.

  4. #3
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Not that it matters. You have to be a good hitter to win a Gold Glove anyway.
    Sometimes you don't even have to play defense.

    See: Palmeiro, Rafael
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  5. #4
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,398

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    When Palmeiro won the gold glove after playing 28 games at 1b the award was finished.

    They should just do away with it.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  6. #5
    Member redsrule2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    When Palmeiro won the gold glove after playing 28 games at 1b the award was finished.

    They should just do away with it.
    Are you serious? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

  7. #6
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,612

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    When Palmeiro won the gold glove after playing 28 games at 1b the award was finished.

    They should just do away with it.
    No, the award still has merit, but the system flat sucks. Should be a weighted vote. Players, Managers, Sportswriters and fans. Well, maybe not fans. They're idiots.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  8. #7
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,065

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No, the award still has merit, but the system flat sucks. Should be a weighted vote. Players, Managers, Sportswriters and fans. Well, maybe not fans. They're idiots.
    I agree the voting system sucks but we also have to remember that measuring defense has traditionally been neglected and/or just hard to do. So alot of the voting has been heavily influenced by the eyes which we all know can lie-especially when the majority of voters are voting for guys they may have only seen for 10 games that season (so a great play is really magnified in significance). Also, unfortunately (and paradoxically) player's bats have also influenced the vote.

    This I think will all change as play by play data allows the creation/perfection of highly accurate defensive metrics.... (at which point sportswriters should be dropped completely form the vote... )

    Anyway, Gonzo is good but he's no Yuni Bettancourt
    "This isnt stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #8
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,271

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Gonzalez probably will get to go down in the history books as one of the better SS defenders never to win a GG, along with guys like Greg Gagne and Ivan DeJesus.

    Jose Reyes is probably about to take over that award for the next five years or so. The NL also has Adam Everett, Khalil Greene, Cesar Izturis, Jack Wilson, J.J. Hardy, Jimmy Rollins and the timeless wonder that is Omar Vizquel slapping around the leather at SS. It's a packed house.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  10. #9
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,092

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Derek Jeter and Ozzie Smith have roughly the same Fielding %. That should tell you all you need to know about it's value as a stat to judge defense as a whole. It's like giving Freddy Sanchez the MVP since he had the highest batting average. Clearly, the kinds of hits you got, when you got them, and how many opportunities you had to get them matter - the same can be said for fielding. Jeter doesn't get errors on the balls he simply can't get to because of his mediocre lateral movement.

    The best SS in baseball right now is Adam Everett and it's not really close. Unfortunately he doesn't hit well enough to win a gold glove. Go figure. Jeter can explain how that works.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-12-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  11. #10
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,271

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Derek Jeter and Ozzie Smith have roughly the same Fielding %. That should tell you all you need to know about it's value as a stat to judge defense as a whole. It's like giving Freddy Sanchez the MVP since he had the highest batting average. Clearly, the kinds of hits you got, when you got them, and how many opportunities you had to get them matter - the same can be said for fielding. Jeter doesn't get errors on the balls he simply can't get to because of his mediocre lateral movement.

    The best SS in baseball right now is Adam Everett and it's not really close. Unfortunately he doesn't hit well enough to win a gold glove. Go figure. Jeter can explain how that works.
    To be fair, Jeter's got very good hands and an accurate arm. I agree his range leaves something to be desired, but he's a clean fielder.

    Everett had a stellar 2006 in the field, but he wasn't playing defense at that level in previous seasons and my guess is he won't be back to that level again in 2007. Neifi Perez had a year like that in 2000. Everything wound up in his glove. For my money, Reyes is the emerging gold standard. Plus, he can hit. The Gold Glove is his for the taking.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  12. #11
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,917

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Gonzo and BP will win the Gold Glove this year. Mark it down
    Most Vottomatic Player

  13. #12
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,801

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    For my money, Reyes is the emerging gold standard. Plus, he can hit. The Gold Glove is his for the taking.
    If only Reyes played in a bigger media market...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  14. #13
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,398

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Are you serious? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while!
    Thanks.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  15. #14
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,271

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If only Reyes played in a bigger media market...
    He doesn't lack for advantages.

    He's awesome in the field anyway, but add in the bat and national exposure and I'd say he may already have a lock on the Gold Glove. For the next six years or so it's his world and we just live in it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  16. #15
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Alex Gonzalez Gold Glove

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    To be fair, Jeter's got very good hands and an accurate arm. I agree his range leaves something to be desired, but he's a clean fielder.

    Everett had a stellar 2006 in the field, but he wasn't playing defense at that level in previous seasons and my guess is he won't be back to that level again in 2007. Neifi Perez had a year like that in 2000. Everything wound up in his glove. For my money, Reyes is the emerging gold standard. Plus, he can hit. The Gold Glove is his for the taking.
    I respectfully disagree about Jeter's arm. IMO, it's sorta strong but not very accurate. To his credit, he's creative in ways he plays balls by not only how he gets to them, but what he does with them. He's very good at bouncing his throw off the turf, and he's made quite the highlight reel collection of jump throws. His creativity makes up for his obvious lack of range.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25