Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBS and WFAN

CBS and WFAN

If anybody wants to talk about I mus, we've got a thread in the pnut gallery. And you can even get political.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: CBS and WFAN

Interesting that Imus worked on a NYC station called WFAN at 660AM. 660AM used to be the old WNBC. Now the station is owned by the Eye.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

This will have huge reprecussions for sports talk in NYC. Imus was the main rainmaker there despite his low ratings. Without him that station is in trouble. Mike and the Mad Dog looked like their best friend died today. Might be necessary to reneotiate their big contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Interesting that Imus worked on a NYC station called WFAN at 660AM. 660AM used to be the old WNBC. Now the station is owned by the Eye.
    At one time Imus and Howard were both on WNBC, Imus in the AM and Howard in drive time. This is all hilariously detailed in Howard's great book "Private Parts".

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    This will have huge reprecussions for sports talk in NYC. Imus was the main rainmaker there despite his low ratings. Without him that station is in trouble. Mike and the Mad Dog looked like their best friend died today. Might be necessary to reneotiate their big contracts.
    WFAN has its niche, and I don't think they'll yank the format. The Mets still play there.

Ironically, the Mike & Mad Dog show are on the YES simulcast. Which, is owned in part by the Yankees.

ESPN 1050 (The old WHN & WFAN) has the national stuff. WFAN has the local people, yet its mostly Islanders and Queens people. Manhattanites don't seem to call in.

I'm hoping Imus will return on XM. I watched him every morning on MSNBC and I will miss him greatly.

I see a lot of critics saying Imus' got in hot water because his show is political and not comedy. I disagree. Imus was as funny as anything NBC had to offer, including SNL.

I'm certainly not justifying what he said or arguing against his firing but some of the excuses I've heard for why others get to say similar things is absurd.

Imus is a good man who has done way more good than bad. He runs a ranch in New Mexico for kids with cancer. He has raised a bunch of money for SIDs awareness and research. He has led a charge to build a childrens hospital. He more recently has been attacking autism and successfully helped get the new veterans hospital built in San Antonio with donations from his listeners and supporters. And that is just scratching the surface.

A lot of folks have gone after Don Imus in the last week. Combined they aren't as good hearted as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    I'm hoping Imus will return on XM. I watched him every morning on MSNBC and I will miss him greatly.

I see a lot of critics saying Imus' got in hot water because his show is political and not comedy. I disagree. Imus was as funny as anything NBC had to offer, including SNL.

I'm certainly not justifying what he said or arguing against his firing but some of the excuses I've heard for why others get to say similar things is absurd.

Imus is a good man who has done way more good than bad. He runs a ranch in New Mexico for kids with cancer. He has raised a bunch of money for SIDs awareness and research. He has led a charge to build a childrens hospital. He more recently has been attacking autism and successfully helped get the new veterans hospital built in San Antonio with donations from his listeners and supporters. And that is just scratching the surface.

A lot of folks have gone after Don Imus in the last week. Combined they aren't as good hearted as he is.
    That's a pretty good summary of Don Imus right there. You could say that Don Imus is the Bobby Knight of Radio. He's got a horrible ego, he's politically incorrect, he has his sworn enemies, and he'd give you the shirt off his back, yet no one knows.

The interesting thing is that the guy that was brought in to replace Imus during his 2-week suspension (not sure if he'll be permanent now that Imus was canned) is Mike Barnicle. He was fired from the Boston Herald (or Globe, I forget which) for plagerism. Oh yeah, he also refered to an interracial couple as Mandingo. Quite a replacement...good job CBS.

Edit: Correction. Now that Imus has been fired, WFAN announced that Mike and the Mad Dog will be doing Morning Drive (in addition to their afternoon show) starting Monday. I guess until a replacement is found. Barnicle won't be getting the gig. I guess he was only a "suspension" replacement.

I believe WFAN was one of the original 24-hour Sports Talk format stations. They were actual down the dial, and then took over the WNBC 660 spot after WNBC-AM ended its run. Imus and Howard Stern were both members of the WNBC team at that time. The all-sports format was struggling in the ratings. They kept Imus in the morning drive spot and that helped launch WFAN as one of the top billing stations in New York.
    Last edited by NJReds; 04-13-2007 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    At one time Imus and Howard were both on WNBC, Imus in the AM and Howard in drive time. This is all hilariously detailed in Howard's great book "Private Parts".
    I love me some Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    I'm hoping Imus will return on XM.
    That was the first thing I said to my wife yesterday after I heard the news that CBS had canned him. XM should be on the phone with him right now.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    That was the first thing I said to my wife yesterday after I heard the news that CBS had canned him. XM should be on the phone with him right now.
    LOL, Howard and Imus together again (kinda), I can feel the love...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    Howard's on Sirius...they'd be competitors (assuming the merger doesn't go through...)
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Howard's on Sirius...they'd be competitors (assuming the merger doesn't go through...)
    Oops, I was thinking he was XM...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    If the merger goes through, they should just put O&A, Imus and Howard in consecutive studios down a giant hallway in the same complex.

See how long it takes for a fight to break out between Norton, Bartlett and Robin.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If the merger goes through, they should just put O&A, Imus and Howard in consecutive studios down a giant hallway in the same complex.

See how long it takes for a fight to break out between Norton, Bartlett and Robin.
    OMG that'd be some great radio

Howard doesn't care for O&A, but he truly does despise Imus. You should've heard him since all this Imus stuff hit the fan, he's been loving it.

Imus treated him really really poorly back to WNBC.

Turn Off Ads?