Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Griffey or Dunn be moved to first base? (Two parter)

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 27.82%
  • No

70 52.63%
  • Dunn

35 26.32%
  • Griffey

28 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Griffey or Dunn be moved to first base? (TWO CHOICES IN POLL)

Re: Should Griffey or Dunn be moved to first base? (TWO CHOICES IN POLL)

I pick Griffey due to fact he will more than likely not be pleased thus traded and in the long term that is best for him and the new way the Red's are being reconstructed.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    I pick Griffey due to fact he will more than likely not be pleased thus traded and in the long term that is best for him and the new way the Red's are being reconstructed.
    Griffey is untradeable.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Griffey at 1B would stay healthier a lot longer than Griffey in RF, IMO.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Go BLUE!!!

Griffey's next move will be outside the organization. And as much as I like the guy, for the sake of this team/organization, I hope it's after next season and they don't pick up the option for '09 for 4 mil.

And while I'm not against a Dunn move at some point in the future, where does Votto play since he has only played 1B?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

If they can't get a decent return for Freel in a trade, I say play Griffey at 1B for the rest of this year, and see if you can move Freel in the offseason. If you can, Grif goes back to RF. Either way, Hamilton should be the starting CF from now on. Votto will be the starting 1B next season, so that leaves Grif and Freel as the final two pieces of the puzzle. I wouldn't move Dunn because he (hopefully) a long term future with the team (along with Hamilton and Votto). Griffey and Freel on the other hand, do not.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Griffey is untradeable.
    Sure he is, if we pay 98% of the contract
    Go Gators!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I voted Dunn to first for now. However, i am not completely sold on Hamilton as of yet, but hope I will be.

If Hamilton can continue to play well into July and the team is in contention, I would like the team to see what it can get for Freel or Votto to make a real run.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If you don't have Joey Votto, sure move Dunn to 1B. That said, you do have Joey Votto and he's not playing anywhere but 1B.

At some point this season, Votto comes up and takes Hats spot in the 1B platoon, taking over full time 2008. Hamilton can take Freel's spot in CF full time if he proves capable. Having Freel as a supersub again would be a positive move for everybody.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Frankly, I like the 1st base platoon. The only way I'd sit them and their considerable veteran presence is if a first base prospect (Joey Votto) knocks the door down. All I hear right now is a really faint knocking off in the distance somewhere...I may have even imagined it.

As far as the OF goes, I like the fact that Dunner has worked to improve his D, Griffey is a plus defender in right, and I'd keep Roy Hobbs in center until he shows signs of being overmatched. (like, never.) I have never been convinced that Freel is an every day player. I think he's actually a better player if he's forced to take days off. IMHO, he's perfectly suited to the supersub role and can get more than enough playing time at 2B, 3B, LF, CF, RF. Maybe he should try some bullpen catching just in case...

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Griffey is a plus defender in right
    I disagree with this part of your statement. Griffey is no longer a plus defender period if by plus defender you're suggesting he's above average defensively relative to the league.

At this point, I'm skeptical that he'd even be a plus DH.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Can you imagine Dunn at 1B?? Hard grounders and hard one-hoppers would eat him alive. Griffey would be worn out from running in to field all the balls that got thru Dunn's legs. The Reds would lead the NL in unearned runs allowed.

Griff at 1B? I can see him doing a better job than Dunn, but not by a big margin.

Re: Should Griffey or Dunn be moved to first base?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It wasn't a question/statement.....I was being snarky/sarcastic.....

My real point was that Griffey should've been at first two years ago, Dunn has already turned the job down and Narron can only pick on the little kids...
    Last time I checked, a player can't "turn down" where he plays on the field.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Re: Should Griffey or Dunn be moved to first base?

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Last time I checked, a player can't "turn down" where he plays on the field.
    Then why isn't Dunn playing first?

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Frankly, I like the 1st base platoon. The only way I'd sit them and their considerable veteran presence is if a first base prospect (Joey Votto) knocks the door down. All I hear right now is a really faint knocking off in the distance somewhere...I may have even imagined it.
    I dont think you imagined the knock but you were correct...it is in the distance somewhere.

Turn Off Ads?