Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kruk calls out Narron

Kruk calls out Narron

... for benching EE but doing nothing to Jr. Agreed with Narron on EE but said if your do it one you had better be ready to do it everybody regardless of who it is. ESPN showed the highlight of Jr trotting down to 1st on his single

BTW, Dusty said he waited until the next game to bench a player for lack of hustle.
    Last edited by flyer85; 04-12-2007 at 10:46 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Kruk calls out Narron

No doubt that EE is Narron's whipping boy, and last year proved it as well. But with this latest example, for whatever reason, I liked it. I know EE at first thought he fouled it off, but he still just stood there even when he knew the 2B was about to catch a pop up.

As for Griffey, yeah, I agree, but that ship has sailed. Narron knows he can't do anything about Griffey's loafing which was established long ago, but he wants to set an example with the young players. Is it fair? No. But neither is baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    but he wants to set an example with the young players. Is it fair? No. But neither is baseball.
    If applied selectively it really sets no example at all, it creates confusion and hostility.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    ... for benching EE but doing nothing to Jr. Agreed with Narron on EE but said if your do it one you had better be ready to do it everybody regardless of who it is. ESPN showed the highlight of Jr trotting down to 1st on his single

BTW, Dusty said he waited until the next game to bench a player for lack of hustle.
    I agree with both of them. I have no problem with punishing EE for laziness, but do it in a way that doesn't harm the team's chances of winning the game for goodness sake. We ended up with Juan freakin' Castro hitting cleanup for 90% of the game.

Since we only have a small number of late-inning replacements for pinch hitting, pinch running, defensive replacements, double-switches, etc, it is not smart to waste one in the second inning just to make a point. He should have just pulled EE aside at that moment to tell him that laziness is not acceptable and that he would be benched for the following game. That is just as effective and wouldn't harm the team.

Aren't we begging the question to call what Edwin did "laziness?"

Has that been proven?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I totally agreed with what Kruk or Young (I forget who said it really) said, that it would have sent a much bigger message to have benched Griffey for his lack of hustle than Edwin for his.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    it would have sent a much bigger message to have benched Griffey
    All Narron did was enforce the fact that there are two sets of rules. It's a really good way to lose the control and respect of a group a people.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Agreed with Narron on EE but said if your do it one you had better be ready to do it everybody regardless of who it is.
    You'd think spending 10 seasons in the bigs would give you a clue about the wide disparity in the treatment veteran players receive vs. young kids. It exists in baseball, the same way it exists in all sports.

Most superstars in the majors would probably have to murder a foriegn dignitary to get benched. Is it fair? Nope. Welcome to life.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Kruk on a sprint might = most trotting

I'm sure after a HOF career and various surgeries, including some on the hamstring that Narron would be more than happy to give Edwin a break.

Griffey has earned the right, because of the injuries he has had to take it easy when he grounds out to second or when he perhaps has the chance for an extra base. He hasn't earned the right to "loaf". He has earned the right to pick his spots. Edwin has not. Is it fair? Fair to who? Is it fair that Griffey has had his dignified career derailed by injuries while roidboy is set to break Aaron's record? We should be talking about how it doesn't matter what Bonds does because Griff is going to sail right by him anyway. But instead we are talking about how one of the most admired players ever, who has a hamstring held together with JB Weld is a loafer. Is that fair? I bet Junior would trade places with Edwin right now. Does Edwin want to be the guy who has to "loaf'? I doubt it.

It has been said this season by someone on the Reds announce team that Junior is usually at the park for early BP at 2:30 almost every day which they said was not normal for the typical player. Junior also is happy to turn it on when the situation call for it. He picks his spots. Like scoring from second or getting in on a shallow sac fly.

All Narron did was enforce the fact that there are two sets of rules. It's a really good way to lose the control and respect of a group a people.

Sparky was notorious for having two sets of rules for the BRM. One for the stars and one for the subs. I agree its not always wise to have two sets of rules but history shows its not always a bad thing.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I don't think it's smart for Griffey to bust out of the batters box ever time. If you know anything about hamstring injuries you know that it's best to wait until your legs are warmed up. Griffey has earned the right and he does hustle when he should.

EE on the other hand has proven nothing, he's young and healthy and needs to run out everything.

IMO, case closed.
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

If applied selectively it really sets no example at all, it creates confusion and hostility.
    It does if done on a regular basis with a typical player. But Junior is not a typical player. His career has nothing to do with it even. It is the surgeries he has had to endure. It is a better investment for the Reds for Junior to cease the Pete Rose routine on weak grounders to second and Edwin should realize this.

Adam Dunn is a different story. Like Edwin, Narron should be pushing him to be the best player he can be. But Junior? Please.

Guys I think Kruk is dead on by his comments!! Narrion done the right think by benching EE last night and I think he benched Ross last night also.Ross had two or three opertunitys to knock in runs in the last two games.Well he took him out in the 7th after he poped up or something with a runner on third.Anyways back to Narrion if he is going to bench one player for loafing then you have to bench the others even if they are Hofers.

That would make a statment and show the reds team that he expects to everybody to play hard and if they don't then they will sit.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 04-12-2007 at 11:30 PM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Senor Votto

I hate Kruk.

Turn Off Ads?