Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kruk calls out Narron

Re: Kruk calls out Narron

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    You highlighted my word "every".
    Notice my keyword..."supposed" hr.(in other words, a player thinks it gone)
    Josh said he didnt think it was out but rather a routine fly. Now maybe Josh will do his no-doubters this way(full sprint). Hopefully we will have alot of chances to see.
    Jr. said that he didn't think his ball was out.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

"It is a wise man who said that there is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals." --Felix Frankfurter

What a hot dog!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I don't think that EE did not run out of laziness, it was more a mental error.

True. But the impression that casual fans and some of the media will have of him now is of a lazy player. They see that he has problems with accurate throws to 1st so they assume that he doesn't work on that when it's a fact that he does. Plus he's Hispanic so a lot of people automatically assume he's lazy anyway.

I've seen people compare this to when Reggie Jackson was pulled by Billy Martin and Andruw Jones pulled by Bobby Cox. The difference in this situation is those two players were notorious for loafing while EE is just the opposite. If EE had loafed before, I'd be able to support Narron pulling him. But doing this to someone who can't fight back - so to speak - is just Narron trying to make himself look good. You know darn well he's not going to pull Jr. if he doesn't run hard the next time. And it doesn't matter if there are seperate rules for vets and young players. Narron didn't say that and if Jr. or someone else doesn't hustle like Narron wants, and Narron does nothing, he's opening up a huge can of worms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I like what Narron did to EE and I think it further illustrates who is in charge of team. As far as there being two or more sets of rules I think every manager has different sets of rules for each player and or employee. Does your boss treat everyone the same? I know all of my bosses had different rules for nearly every employee thats just a fact of life.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    As far as there being two or more sets of rules I think every manager has different sets of rules for each player and or employee. Does your boss treat everyone the same? I know all of my bosses had different rules for nearly every employee thats just a fact of life.

And that's great if the players/employees are aware of that fact. But this is Narron's quote, "I don't care if we lose every game, we're not going to play guys who don't hustle. It's as simple as that."

I didn't see any qualifiers in there. I didn't see him say, "except for Jr" or "except for scrappy veterans" or except for players over 30." Whether it was wrong or right to pull EE from the game isn't the issue. The issue is what happens next time Jr. or Dunn or Phillips or Ross or anyone else doesn't hustle. Is he going to lie and say, "So and so was hurt and that's why he didn't run hard"?

If he has 2 sets of rules, he has to make clear what the dividing line is. Is it Jr. and everyone else, or Jr. and Dunn and everyone else or are only Jerry's pets allowed to loaf?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I thought the club told Jr at one time to take it easy to try to keep him healthy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I really liked Kruk as a player and a character in the game, however, I can care less what he thinks.

He lost my respect when he read the riot act to this team for designating Danny Graves for assignment. He went on for 2 or 3 minutes talking about how the Reds had no class for giving up on a proven veteran like Graves, yadda, yadda, yadda.

BTW, how'd that work out for Danny anyway? Kruk should just shut up!

I thought the club told Jr at one time to take it easy to try to keep him healthy.
    Maybe so. But when Jr. literally WALKS to first on a ground out, well, I think you and I both know that's not "keeping himself healthy," that's dogging it.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm not trying to be obnoxious here and perhaps I'm taking it too literally but when Narron says, "we're not going to play guys who don't hustle" I don't know how much clearer he can make it. Let's take Jr. out of the equation. Let's use Dunn as an example. I love Dunn but he's not going to make anyone forget Pete Rose. He's making around $10M a year and has been around 5-6 years. Not a veteran but not exactly a callow youth either. It's not exactly out of the realm of possibility that Dunn might hit one to the wall and think it's going out but it falls in and he's only able to make it to 1st since he didn't start running right away. That doesn't seem like hustle to me. Is Narron going to stick to his guns and bench Dunn? Or is he going to ignore it since Dunn is such a prodigious hitter? Time will tell.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I love the fact that SOME people on here are now saying what I said the other day: EdE did on that play what Griffey does on EVERY play. But be careful, some people on here get pretty touchy when you start talking about The Kid...

Anyway, I agree with Kruk. I hate the double standard. I'd love to see Griffey get benched for lack of hustle (thought I don't see that ever happening). I think Griffey's still decent, but I'd love to see him at least start jogging to first when he hits one to the OF instead of busting into the classic HR trot. It's cost the Reds some bases already this year and will continue to do so until something is done about it.
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Simply because JR. was PLAYING HURT at the time. Not an excuse but that's what was happening. He's not "hurt" now (Subject to change) so all bets are off.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Worked for Sparky!
    Sparky's two sets of rules were before and after they game (gave vets more freedoms) but he treated them all the same during the game. But Sparky wouldn't have had to deal w/ Griffey "styling" doubles into singles because Rose would have kick his ass into not costing his team potential runs/wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Maybe so. But when Jr. literally WALKS to first on a ground out, well, I think you and I both know that's not "keeping himself healthy," that's dogging it.
    That's flat out not true.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    That's flat out not true.
    Not every time, but if you've not seen him do it, you just aren't looking.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Not every time, but if you've not seen him do it, you just aren't looking.
    He's never walked on a ground out. Never. He may only jog, but there is a huge difference between walking and jogging. If he ever actually walked, "literally walked" on a ground out, then I'd be calling for him to be benched.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?