Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: over 140 players to wear 42

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

over 140 players to wear 42

I just heard on Mike and Mike in the morning that over 140 players including 3 entire teams will be wearing number 42 for the Robinson Anniversary.

My question; Is this taking it too far and possibly watering down the significance?

MO I think there should only be 1 black player from each team wearing 42. Entire teams? I'm not entirely sure I agree. I like the sentiment expressed but I believe that the entire message will not be delivered. However when an entire team is wearing 42 then some younger kids might ask their parents why? Allowing the parents the opportunity to educate. So I can see the point.

Nevermind, I'm not really sure how I feel about this. Discuss.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: over 140 players to wear 42

The Dodgers should all wear 42 that day, no question. Other than that, I'm more inclined to think one player per team.

I think Cleveland should have a player wear 42 and one wear Doby's number [I'm assuming its retired in Cleveland.].

Funny thing is, Houston is one of the teams with all players wearing the numbers.....why you might ask?

Because they have no african american players on their roster.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

how about every team's 2nd basemen wear #42 to signify that jackie is still out there since that is the position he mostly played...
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Funny thing is, Houston is one of the teams with all players wearing the numbers.....why you might ask?

Because they have no african american players on their roster.
    Interesting. Quick review of their roster shows only 3 Latin players.

Cecil Cooper is their bench coach, however.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Why don't they just rename baseball "Jackie Robinson" and get it over with?

Are we going to try to outdo ourselves every year?

Jackie Robinson was a great person and player and all that, but enough is enough. Lets leave some dignity in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Doo-Rag View Post

Jackie Robinson was a great person and player and all that, but enough is enough. Lets leave some dignity in the story.
    See, I think Junior was trying to give it some dignity, and baseball yet again found a way to mess it up in some context.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

One player doing it was kind of cool. Everyone doing it is kind of stupid. And, no it shouldn't only be black players.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I don't see a problem if their was a non-black player wearing Jackie Robinson's number. Why does the person have to be black to honor him by wearing his number? And I don't see a problem with the whole team wearing his number.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I don't see a problem if their was a non-black player wearing Jackie Robinson's number. Why does the person have to be black to honor him by wearing his number? And I don't see a problem with the whole team wearing his number.
    lol now that it has been spoken aloud it doesn't make sense for only black people to be wearing 42. I stand by my earlier post that all 2nd basemen should wear it or only select players. Entire teams??? geesh

For one thing, if everyone on the team is wearing the same number, it could get a little confusing for the announcers and the official scorer.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    For one thing, if everyone on the team is wearing the same number, it could get a little confusing for the announcers and the official scorer.
    I had that thought, too. If numbers aren't necessary for the identification of players, then why have them in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Doo-Rag View Post

I agree Doo-Rag. I honestly think an entire team wearing the number 42 is the most rediculous thing Ive ever heard, and thought it was a joke the first time I heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    One player doing it was kind of cool. Everyone doing it is kind of stupid. And, no it shouldn't only be black players.
    I agree.

And the one player should be a high character guy. If Bonds wore it, my head would blow up.

Pay attention to the open sky

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    When Bonds wears it, my head will blow up.
    Fixed that for ya.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9154229AAHu5je

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 04-13-2007 at 10:33 AM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I think MLB took a good idea and messed it up. I'm with Torri Hunter on this. I think maybe each team should vote one player they think should represent #42.

Turn Off Ads?