Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6 year old charged with felony for throwing temper tantrum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6 year old charged with felony for throwing temper tantrum

Unreal, kid acts like a kid and gets arrested.

http://www.slate.com/id/2164004/entry/0/

Avon Park, Fla., is a zero-tolerance kind of place.

On March 28, Desre'e Watson, a 6-year-old kindergarten student at Avon Elementary School, had a bad morning. She cried. She wailed. She kicked. She scratched. She hit a teacher. That's what the police say, anyway.

The police? That's right. To subdue the unruly kindergartner, school officials phoned Avon Park's police department ("committed to enhancing the 'Quality of Life' of the community"). When the cops arrived, young Desre'e attempted to resist arrest by crawling under a table. But Avon Park's finest pulled her out, cuffed her, put her in a police cruiser, drove her to the county jail, and charged this 50-pound menace with a felony and two misdemeanors. The police report is below.

"When there is an outburst of violence," Police Chief Frank Mercurio told a local news station, "we have a duty to protect and make that school a safe environment for the students, staff and faculty. That's why, at this point, the person was arrested regardless what the age." Let's hope his message gets across to those brats in the neonatal wards.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: 6 year old charged with felony for throwing temper tantrum

Wow. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Next time I see a little kid having a tantrum I will be sure and call the cops.

My goodness, at my school they would just pick her up, call her parents and wait for her to calm down. Calling in the police on a kid that young is ludicrous.

this is what happens when you can't discipline children without worrying about getting a felony of your own.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    this is what happens when you can't discipline children without worrying about getting a felony of your own.
    This is the real issue.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

This is what happens when you live in a police state. This isn't because parents aren't allowed to beat their children.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This isn't because parents aren't allowed to beat their children.
    my parents had social services called on them for yelling at me in a Kroger when i was 4. there's a whole lot more to the 'lack of discipline' angle than beatings. things of this nature have also been going on longer than the "police state" era.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    my parents had social services called on them for yelling at me in a Kroger when i was 4. there's a whole lot more to the 'lack of discipline' angle than beatings. things of this nature have also been going on longer than the "police state" era.
    You can call social services on someone for anything. It doesn't mean they'll do anything.

If anything I'd say that social services doesn't remove children from homes often enough, and that parents are allowed to get away with far too much.

Sorry for the tangent, I guess this doesn't really have anything to do with a 6 year old kid having to go downtown for throwing a fit. Which is so incredibly ridiculous that I can't believe anyone would even try to find a sufficient reason for it (i.e. this is what happens when parents aren't allowed to discipline).
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This is what happens when you live in a police state. This isn't because parents aren't allowed to beat their children.
    We don't live in a "police state". That's ridiculous. But when the teachers/school basically have their hands tied behind their backs when it comes to unruly children, and that they could get sued or in trouble for trying to control/discipline the child - and I'm not necessarily referring to spanking either - then that is why they call the police. What are they suppose to do? Call the parents in and have a talk with them. What if the parents are part of the problem?

Beat children? So you relegate spanking a child to beating, and possibly abusive? I'm not saying their aren't or haven't been instances of it; but you don't "throw out the baby with the bath water" so to speak.

There are obviously some rules one must follow when it comes to spanking a child. Dr James Dobson gave some excellent advice that I always followed...

#1 - you never spank a child under two.

#2 - set reasonable boundaries within the house and insure the child understands them.

#3 - you don't spank a child for instances of childish immaturity (not putting away toys, picking up clothes, etc). As a parent, know the difference between that, and a child who willfully and purposely steps across that "line" in order to test a parent's authority. And yes, kids do that. They are not stupid. I, and my brothers, did it quite frequently. As well as a couple of my kids. It was situations where the kid was saying "I know what you said, but I'm calling your bluff, and lets see if you really mean it?" I did. So did my parents. And "time outs" or taking away privileges don't always work. I know from experience. A majority of kids will say
    it was well worth the trade off, and a "piece of cake" to have to sit in the corner, for what they got away with. It isn't always enough to dissuade them from continually doing it. With some it will, but not a lot of kids.

#4 - never use the hand. The child will then always "associate" the parent's hand to something bad. Use a paddle.

#5 - never spank in anger.

#6 - and the most important step.... afterwards, use positive re-inforcement to talk with your child, emphasis your care and love for them, and the reason as to why you had to discipline them. To respect not only YOUR authority, but authority in general. That is what life is about, and they need to realize that, and understand it early.

My Mom and Dad were loving, involved parents. But they spanked all three of us boys when we crossed that line and knew better. I also got cracked a few times in school. And as I sit here know, and reflect back on everyone of those instances, I can say without reservation that I deserved it because I was purposely trying to usurp either that parent, or that teacher's, authority, and exercise my own control. I don't hate my parents or teachers for it. And once any authority "figure" loses that control, then they are in trouble.

I, and my brothers, were not emotionally scarred for life, nor traumitized, because we got spanked.

My sister (and husband) were foster parents for many years. They had some good kids, and also some downright monsters. Yes, they all came from broken homes and various situations. But that is no reasn/excuse to allow them to get away with basically "murder" in your household, ad take away control. And "timeouts" or sitting in a corner didn't always work. Yet these kids knew, because Child Services always told them, that their foster parents could never lay a hand on them (spank). And they played that angle up to the hlt to get away with a lot.... "You can't lay a hand on me!"

She still maintains contact with a few of them, and they have turned out OK. But several others have been in and out of trouble, and a couple are now in prison because no one tells them what to do. The never learned respect for authority or laws.

And I'm not saying that as a parent you don;t atempt to teach and instill those values int your child, and that it can't be done without discipline (spanking). Yes it can; but not in every instance. All kids are not the same - different temperment/dispositions. But when it was required, we used it. And our kids aren't scarred either. Pretty well adjusted teenagers.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-15-2007 at 07:00 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

You can bet your life that if her PARENTS hand handcuffed her until she calmed down, their butts would be sitting in jail.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

sava, today is April 14. You're thirteen days late with the April Fool's joke.

What?!...This is for real?!

This is not the first instance of this happening to a elementary level child being handcuffed and arrested by the police. This is what happens, IMHO, when they have taken discipline out of the public schools. Yes, it is also a problem that could very well have it's roots in the home and with parents. But when your child is in school they are in someone else's domain, not the home.

And when the children KNOW that the school cannot do anything, or at least very little, when it comes to disciplining them for being unruly or violating school policy, then you have created a serious problem. I have three kids, ranging from 18 down to 11. I am a pretty involved parent with the school and my kid's teachers, and always have been. And I have some close friends who are teachers also. And in conversations with them they have expressed frustration over this very position, and having their hands tied when it comes to exercising control and discipline. And it's not the kids as much as it's the parents.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    This is what happens, IMHO, when they have taken discipline out of the public schools. Yes, it is also a problem that could very well have it's roots in the home and with parents. But when your child is in school they are in someone else's domain, not the home.
    Personally, a lot of this is what has happened as a result of discipline being taken out of the hands of parents.

About the only thing you can now do LEGALLY to punish a child is to give them a talking to, a time out, or to take a fun activity away. You can not reason with a toddler, which is when the seeds of good behavior are sown.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Bring back the wooden spoon.

My momma could do some damage with that thing. I couldn't sit for at least an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    Bring back the wooden spoon.

My momma could do some damage with that thing. I couldn't sit for at least an hour.
    Do you see yourself as emotionally traumitized and scarred because of it?

Hot Wheel strips. Man did those sting!

We'd get a Hot Wheels set for Christmas, and my brothers and I would just look at each other with mixed signals as to who the "gift" was for.

Those thin plastic yellow wiffle ball bats hurt to. My Dad probably OPS'd over 1.000 on our butts.

You know what the biggest worry was for us? When my Mom would say "Wait till your Dad gets home!" It shot your whole day because of the wait. It was an emotional hell that hurt far worse then the spanking!
    Last edited by GAC; 04-15-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Turn Off Ads?