Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

  1. #1
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,756

    Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    10 games is 1/16 of the season. Long way to go. The REDS bullpen has changed a lot from last year's Opening day crew. Coffey and Weathers remain. Am I missing anyone? Comparing the first 10 games of each season... unreal. Luck? Better schedule? Good managing (oh-oh!)? Good GM'ing (lots of new faces)? The Dick Pole effect?

    Lots of ball to be played. But you have to notice the bullpen (and RZ has). They are a big part of the reason for the 6-4 record as this is written. They have taken two losses (both in AZ): (1) Saarloos gives up an 8th inning solo HR to Hudson, (2) Weathers gives a walkoff 2-out double in the 11th. But "not so good" offense didn't put the REDS in a position to win those games. Anyone in MLB have a bullpen with better numbers then we see below? If they do, then their bullpen is amazing.

    10 Games - 2006
    * 27 IP, 34H, 19ER, 24K, 14BB.
    >> 6.33 ERA, 1.78 WHIP.
    >> 5 saves, 1 blown save.

    10 Games - 2007
    * 29 IP, 20H, 5ER, 26K, 9BB.
    >> 1.55 ERA, 1.00 WHIP.
    >> 4 saves, 0 blown save.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,047

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    10 games is 1/16 of the season. Long way to go. The REDS bullpen has changed a lot from last year's Opening day crew. Coffey and Weathers remain. Am I missing anyone? Comparing the first 10 games of each season... unreal. Luck? Better schedule? Good managing (oh-oh!)? Good GM'ing (lots of new faces)? The Dick Pole effect?

    Lots of ball to be played. But you have to notice the bullpen (and RZ has). They are a big part of the reason for the 6-4 record as this is written. They have taken two losses (both in AZ): (1) Saarloos gives up an 8th inning solo HR to Hudson, (2) Weathers gives a walkoff 2-out double in the 11th. But "not so good" offense didn't put the REDS in a position to win those games. Anyone in MLB have a bullpen with better numbers then we see below? If they do, then their bullpen is amazing.

    10 Games - 2006
    * 27 IP, 34H, 19ER, 24K, 14BB.
    >> 6.33 ERA, 1.78 WHIP.
    >> 5 saves, 1 blown save.

    10 Games - 2007
    * 29 IP, 20H, 5ER, 26K, 9BB.
    >> 1.55 ERA, 1.00 WHIP.
    >> 4 saves, 0 blown save.
    Cold weather. Weak opponents.

    Technically, the only REAL new faces are Saarloos, Coutlangus, and Santos.

    It's too early, but these guys truly don't project as a plus bullpen. Bailey might change that equation.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Santos is the ne plus ultra the sine que non of exemplary bullpen theatrics. He is the rara avis of the flock

  5. #4
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,062

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    FCB, you are consistently grumpy on this point, I will give you that. Stanton is a new face too. And he, along with Cout and Saarloos, have changed the whole complexion of how I feel about the team's ability to get outs late in the game. Add in a real maturation from Coffey, and I think the bullpen is legitimately heads and shoulders above where it was last year. I like that they have enough lefties down there now that Narron is only using Cormier to get one lefty out at a time, so far, for instance.

    I think there is a lot more to be excited about in the pen than I could have imagined in the middle of March. But WK happily proved me wrong by cutting loose Hermansen and not wasting innings on him while giving a guy like Cout a shot to do something up with the big club. It's better than it was.

    Add in Belisle pitching like he means to do something significant with his career, and the Reds' pitching has a chance to be markedly better than I would have expected...

  6. #5
    Reds 5:11 coachw513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    642

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    10 games is 1/16 of the season. Long way to go. The REDS bullpen has changed a lot from last year's Opening day crew. Coffey and Weathers remain. Am I missing anyone? Comparing the first 10 games of each season... unreal. Luck? Better schedule? Good managing (oh-oh!)? Good GM'ing (lots of new faces)? The Dick Pole effect?

    Lots of ball to be played. But you have to notice the bullpen (and RZ has). They are a big part of the reason for the 6-4 record as this is written. They have taken two losses (both in AZ): (1) Saarloos gives up an 8th inning solo HR to Hudson, (2) Weathers gives a walkoff 2-out double in the 11th. But "not so good" offense didn't put the REDS in a position to win those games. Anyone in MLB have a bullpen with better numbers then we see below? If they do, then their bullpen is amazing.

    10 Games - 2006
    * 27 IP, 34H, 19ER, 24K, 14BB.
    >> 6.33 ERA, 1.78 WHIP.
    >> 5 saves, 1 blown save.

    10 Games - 2007
    * 29 IP, 20H, 5ER, 26K, 9BB.
    >> 1.55 ERA, 1.00 WHIP.
    >> 4 saves, 0 blown save.
    Well of course the San Diego bullpen has had that incredible stretch of innings without any runs given up at all...but I agree it's a very positive beginning...

    If Lohse/Belisle hold up, the bullpen will be solid...those 2 are the key, for better or for worse...


    You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

    Though many of us here are sure trying

  7. #6
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,073

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Give them credit for what they've done thus far, but it's too early yet to make any proclamations.

    So far, so good!

  8. #7
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,047

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    FCB, you are consistently grumpy on this point, I will give you that. Stanton is a new face too. And he, along with Cout and Saarloos, have changed the whole complexion of how I feel about the team's ability to get outs late in the game. Add in a real maturation from Coffey, and I think the bullpen is legitimately heads and shoulders above where it was last year. I like that they have enough lefties down there now that Narron is only using Cormier to get one lefty out at a time, so far, for instance.

    I think there is a lot more to be excited about in the pen than I could have imagined in the middle of March. But WK happily proved me wrong by cutting loose Hermansen and not wasting innings on him while giving a guy like Cout a shot to do something up with the big club. It's better than it was.

    Add in Belisle pitching like he means to do something significant with his career, and the Reds' pitching has a chance to be markedly better than I would have expected...
    As with a lot of so-so bullpens, the secret is not to overexpose them. And so far, they've not logged an inordinate number of innings. And while I'm delighted that Belisle has really stepped it up in the early going, I'm just not sure I can trust the guy to stay healthy; and he's the linchpin right now--take him out of the equation and you have the unbroken string of Lohse, AAA callup, and Milton. That's a veritable pitching desert; which means that the bullpen will be leaned on with much greater frequency. I just don't see many Scott Sullivans, early-version Danny Graveses, and Scott Williamsons around to truly slam the door.

  9. #8
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I just don't see many Scott Sullivans, early-version Danny Graveses, and Scott Williamsons around to truly slam the door.
    If you cant have the "Nasty Boys"...that right there would be okay with me.
    Course key word was "early-version"
    BTW whatever happened to Sully ?
    Is he still with royals or retire ?

  10. #9
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,158

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Give them credit for what they've done thus far, but it's too early yet to make any proclamations.

    So far, so good!
    Agreed, but they've been shaky at times. The bullpen seems pretty hittable and once the weather settles down and hitters are in their groove, this could all change. Like AR said, so far, so good.

    I'm more worried about our starting pitching. Harang is continuing what he was doing in spring training--giving up lots of hits and runs. Outside of his opening day masterpiece (where Narron pitched him too long) he's had nothing and looked stiff and tentative yesterday. I think he's injured in some way. He sure isn't the Aaron Harang we're used to. Same with Lohse. Something's amiss with him too. I don't like it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  11. #10
    Member Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,326

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Agreed, but they've been shaky at times. The bullpen seems pretty hittable and once the weather settles down and hitters are in their groove, this could all change. Like AR said, so far, so good.

    I'm more worried about our starting pitching. Harang is continuing what he was doing in spring training--giving up lots of hits and runs. Outside of his opening day masterpiece (where Narron pitched him too long) he's had nothing and looked stiff and tentative yesterday. I think he's injured in some way. He sure isn't the Aaron Harang we're used to. Same with Lohse. Something's amiss with him too. I don't like it.
    Well Harang said he's been sick and hasn't slept the last couple of days, that could have been why he wasn't as technically sound as he should have been on his breaking balls. But his velocity was there and his fastball seemed to have the same movement, he was just hanging his curve ball. I hope that's all it was.

  12. #11
    redsgabp
    Guest

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    the pen has looked good but i think it will only get better.

    *the trade* that nobody will let down
    gary majewski and bill bray.

    look at bray as another guy like coffey.

  13. #12
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,702

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    I don't think we should pay any attention to pitching stats until May
    Go Gators!

  14. #13
    redsgabp
    Guest

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't think we should pay any attention to pitching stats until May
    we have about 1/16 of the season over now.

    i think it's early to be talking about anybodys stats.

    but with maj and bray back SOON I HOPE, i think we will be ok in the pen.
    (the question will be who to send down or let go???)

    we will see where the reds are going in a true direction in another 15 games or so as far as the stats go.

  15. #14
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,158

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't think we should pay any attention to pitching stats until May
    Good point and well taken. Pitchers always have an upper hand in April.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  16. #15
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,158

    Re: Bullpen - Give Credit or Too Early?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsgabp View Post
    we have about 1/16 of the season over now.

    i think it's early to be talking about anybodys stats.

    but with maj and bray back SOON I HOPE, i think we will be ok in the pen.
    (the question will be who to send down or let go???)

    we will see where the reds are going in a true direction in another 15 games or so as far as the stats go.
    If Magic and Bray ever contribute much to this team, I'll be surprised. With the performance by some of the guys we have here now and Magic's career stats, how do you subsitute him for a Cont? With Bray being so young and his so-so record last year, who do you let go for him?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25