Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

  1. #1
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,381

    With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    I posted a simliar thread over the winter about this topic, and thought it would be a good time to revisit the conversation.

    Do the Reds trade Adam Dunn this season? Over the winter I asked if he would go in the offseason, and we obviously know the answer to that question (if you don't, you're not much of a Reds fan ).

    It's only a few weeks into the season, but Dunn has been routinely going the other way, and "hitting them where they ain't." For example, today's rbi single off of Zambrano.

    He appears to have adopted a different and much more effective plan at the plate, and looks like he's heading for a career year, by all indications.

    In this division, we're going to have to be flat out awful to completely be out of the race by July 31st, so trading Dunn would create serious backlash. But on the same hand, if he keeps hitting at this pace, his stock could very well never be higher, and we could possibly get a king's ransom for him. So, if the Reds are on the fringe of elimination, but close enough to where the casual fan would still consider them in the race and giving up on the season if they traded one of their best hitter's, would the Reds trade Dunn, even if it received several good player's in return?

    It's a tough decision for a club to make. I'm sure they'd love to keep Dunn, but financially it will be very difficult, and with young player's such as Bruce and Stubbs on the horizon, along with Hamilton and any young player's that might be acquired in a trade of Dunn, the club may believe they can withstand the short term loss in production.

    What are your opinions on this? Will the Reds try and sign Dunn long term? Will they let him play the year out without making any contract offers or trading him? Or will they make a risky move and trade him while his stock could be at an all time high in order to further add depth to the organization?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    I hope they don't. When you're building a team, as we are, I see no good reason to trade away a guy who's still a young centerpiece. He'll be expensive, but Krivsky should do everything he can to keep him here. By the time the young guys are up, he'll also be a much needed veteran leader(at least from a playing time perspective)

    2009- Dunn 29, Hamilton 27, Bruce 22. That's a good core outfield, with Hamilton and Bruce probably still being pretty cheap at that time.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,843

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    I think the key really on this issue is Hamilton and his development. If he continues on pace with what he has done so far (which I think is somewhat of a longshot this year even though I hope I'm wrong), I think you have to entertain the idea. However, if the Reds are in serious contention...I don't see how they trade Dunn. Obviously they lose Milton's contract after this season which would make resigning Dunn an easier task. It's just a matter of how much the Reds will pony up and what terms he agrees to.

  5. #4
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    No way should we trade Dunn,he is really the only legit homerun hitter that we have as of right now.We already traded Kearns,and Lopez off so I feel we need to keep Dunn b/c he is just now learning how to hit.If we would trade him then that would leave a monster hole in our lineup.We need to wait b/c I hope Griffey will be the one that goes so we can keep our youngsters in Dunn,Freel,Hamilton,and Bruce.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  6. #5
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,917

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    Dunn provides too much offense for the team to be traded.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  7. #6
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    The real question should be is how we going to find a team to trade Griffey to?? who knows we could get a number three or four starting pitcher for him. We have to keep Dunn thow!!!

    I must have been dreaming but I thought we signed Dunn to a three year contract in the off season.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  8. #7
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,381

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    WVPacman, we hold a $13 million option for next year. Some have speculated that we don't want to pay it, although I don't think that's true, with Milton coming off of the books, it will make it much more reasonable. But either way, last season is the final season of the contract, so as the days and months go by, the situation will become more urgent.

  9. #8
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    WVPacman, we hold a $13 million option for next year. Some have speculated that we don't want to pay it, although I don't think that's true, with Milton coming off of the books, it will make it much more reasonable. But either way, last season is the final season of the contract, so as the days and months go by, the situation will become more urgent.


    Oh I see and I agree the longer this goes the more urgent it will be.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  10. #9
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,314

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    The real question should be is how we going to find a team to trade Griffey to?? who knows we could get a number three or four starting pitcher for him. We have to keep Dunn thow!!!

    I must have been dreaming but I thought we signed Dunn to a three year contract in the off season.
    The problem is that if we trade Griffey at the deadline it will be because we are out of the playoff race. If we're still in the playoff race at the deadline we would want to make deals that could help us this year, like getting a 3rd or 4th starter, except we're not going to get a 3rd or 4th starter for Griffey at the deadline. The only way we unload Griffey at the deadline is to a team that has a ton of money and is still in the playoff race, therefore no team in the playoff race is going to give up one of their starting pitchers for Griffey. If we do trade Griffey we'll basically get nothing, because the biggest thing we'll get is for the other team to pay his salary.

    As for trading Dunn, well it would have to be some kind of fantastic deal to trade him, I think anyway.

  11. #10
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,414

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    I dont think there is any way Dunn finishes his contract in Cincinnati unless we are in first place at the deadline. We cant afford, nor should we resign him for what other teams will be offering for him. After his contract is up, someone is going to offer him 14+ million a year for 5 or 6 years, and the Reds cant tie up that kind of money in a guy who can't play defense at all. I love Adam Dunn the hitter, regardless of how frustrating he can be at times, he is the best bat the Reds have, and its not really that close unless Griffey returns to 2005 on us.
    Given the current market, I think the Reds would be making a mistake paying Dunn the kind of money he will be making once his contract is up, and when its getting down to the deadline either this year if we decide we aren't paying his option or next year if we do, we need to look long and hard at what we can get in return for him because he will not be here once his current deal is up unless he gives the Reds a bigtime discount below 12 million a year, which I doubt he would since we have an option for 13 million.

    Just my opinion, but its really how I see things unfolding as they get closer.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    954

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    I dont think Josh Hamilton's future is at all connected to Adam Dunn's. In fact I hope they are intertwined. an OF of LF Dunn CF Hamilton RF Bruce could be the most potent in the majors by mid 2008.

    In reality, Freel is not the future in CF, Hamilton is. Dunn is completely unrelated to CF. Hamilton wont ever play fulltime in LF, it would be a waste of his skills. CF or RF is his place. Griffey will retire in the next two years, and thats when Bruce will come up.


    If Dunn is putting it together, it means hes finally developing into the cornerstone of this offense we need him to be. This organization (i believe) has gone past the point where we have to deal cornerstone players due to financial reasons. Unless we can get a couple future aces, I think Dunn should be a Red for life. he enjoys cincinnati and seems to be maturing into the player and man that will be a HOF

  13. #12
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,908

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I posted a simliar thread over the winter about this topic, and thought it would be a good time to revisit the conversation.

    Do the Reds trade Adam Dunn this season? Over the winter I asked if he would go in the offseason, and we obviously know the answer to that question (if you don't, you're not much of a Reds fan ).

    It's only a few weeks into the season, but Dunn has been routinely going the other way, and "hitting them where they ain't." For example, today's rbi single off of Zambrano.

    He appears to have adopted a different and much more effective plan at the plate, and looks like he's heading for a career year, by all indications.

    In this division, we're going to have to be flat out awful to completely be out of the race by July 31st, so trading Dunn would create serious backlash. But on the same hand, if he keeps hitting at this pace, his stock could very well never be higher, and we could possibly get a king's ransom for him. So, if the Reds are on the fringe of elimination, but close enough to where the casual fan would still consider them in the race and giving up on the season if they traded one of their best hitter's, would the Reds trade Dunn, even if it received several good player's in return?

    It's a tough decision for a club to make. I'm sure they'd love to keep Dunn, but financially it will be very difficult, and with young player's such as Bruce and Stubbs on the horizon, along with Hamilton and any young player's that might be acquired in a trade of Dunn, the club may believe they can withstand the short term loss in production.

    What are your opinions on this? Will the Reds try and sign Dunn long term? Will they let him play the year out without making any contract offers or trading him? Or will they make a risky move and trade him while his stock could be at an all time high in order to further add depth to the organization?
    For what? The need the team has now is offense. Dunn is a much improved player both offensively and defensively. And that, after he hit 40 HRs last year. Keep him.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  14. #13
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,059

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    keep Adam Dunn. It would be foolish to trade him.

    Jr is untradeable at this point. But he is still useful, in RF, and swings a good bat, and this 2007 Reds team needs his offense. The injury bug that visits him routinely will keep other teams wary.

    I'd love to see an OF of Hamilton, Dunn, Bruce, maybe in 2008? That would be exciting!

  15. #14
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,055

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    Since offense is a major question with this club as it is currently constituted, I cannot imagine how anyone proposes to replace Dunn's production should he be dealt...

  16. #15
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,821

    Re: With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    For what? The need the team has now is offense. Dunn is a much improved player both offensively and defensively. And that, after he hit 40 HRs last year. Keep him.
    Wheelhouse, you're my new hero. I agree.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25