Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: 4/14/07 at Chicago

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: 4/14/07 at Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPitchIsDunn View Post
    I'm hoping this is supposed to be OBP, not OPS. I'm not even sure if Castro OPSes that low. Then again...
    Yes. OBP. I just cannot type. Sorry.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    We've all known that the offense is not the same as it was 2 and 3 years ago. And that's a good thing, in the long run, because the D and the pitching IS better than it was.

westofyou has pointed out to us, via well-documented history, that the Reds have nearly always (but not always) been a slugging team, and it's only when they can pitch and play defense that they win pennants. (thank you, woy!)

I think this offense will be ok. By that, I mean 7-8 in the NL in runs scored. Any lower than 7th or 8th will be bad, especially in this ballpark.

EE and BP are both slumping, badly. I haven't seen the last 3 games (and neither have most of us) but it sounds as if BP is trying to hit a grand slam with every swing.

Relax, BP. Phillips can do a lot of things well, and his D at 2B is very important. He will hit, and so will Eddie.

The pitching is better. It's light years ahead of the Jimmie Anderson/ Jimmie Haynes days, which were only a few years ago (2003).

This is a much better team. Springfield fan is right- too many subs playing right now. I love Juan Castro- but off the bench, on occasion, for defensive purposes, only. I'd love to see what Keppinger can do in this type of role?

The only thing I am really worried about is catching. I hope Ross and Javy can carry the weight, but I have severe doubts. I hope they prove me wrong!
    As stated earlier, I think the reds will be alright against righties with Josh,Adam,Jr and Javy maybe catching.
    It's the lefties that will get us. Come on Redlegs....prove me wrong the next 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    Perhaps David Ross should try this trick while he is in Chicago. It worked for Concepcion while the Reds were in Chicago on May 8, 1976.

MAY 8, 1976 ... Reds' shortstop Davey Concepcion, enduring a season-long slump with a .157 game time batting average and with just one hit in his last 21 at-bats, jumps into the clubhouse clothes dryer to get 'warmed up'. Teammate and pitcher Pat Zachry playfully pushes the dryer's 'ON' button and Concepcion takes a few tumbles before the dryer is stopped. Concepcion goes to the field and bangs out three hits to jump start his slumping season. The Reds are winners over the Cubs on a cold day in the Windy City, 14-4.
    Wow. Davey struggled all the way into May before he got going? Wonder what sort of collective freak out would have occured on RZ back then to carry an "automatic out" on the team. And his OPS? Yikes. The manager back then must have been an idiot to not yank him and put in someone who wasn't such a weak stick.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I've been harping on the lack of offense since before ST and the fact the Reds would seem to need a number of repeat career years(Ross, BP, Hatty, etc) to have a chance of scoring enough runs to compete.
    I'm not too worried about the offense yet. Edwin isn't hitting right now, and I am confident he will get going. Junior is going to start hitting better also.

Those 2 are a big reason our offense is struggling right now.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-14-2007 at 09:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Gonzalez update: Shortstop Alex Gonzalez, who is on the bereavement list with his 7-month-old son in the hospital, indicated to the team that he could rejoin the Reds by Monday.

"It's day to day. He's hoping. We're all hoping," Narron said.
    reds.com
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Wow. Davey struggled all the way into May before he got going? Wonder what sort of collective freak out would have occured on RZ back then to carry an "automatic out" on the team. And his OPS? Yikes. The manager back then must have been an idiot to not yank him and put in someone who wasn't such a weak stick.
    How many people would have screamed for Doug Flynn?? Especially when he's from Lexington. You know those ballplayers from Lexington. How can anyone trade a local kid????????

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    YOu know what amazes me....is the people who keep glossing over the post that read....Soriano is 2 for 24 LIFETIME against Arroyo. Do some people not want to read this or admit to this? Arroyo is a better pitcher against RH. He has dominated Soriano. He did it again today and the guy hit it in no man's land.

A little more to the left and it goes to EE....a little more to the right it goes to Castro. Yet it's still Narron's fault. HOW about being rational when you blast the guy? When it comes to Narron.... some people's logic and rational really goes out the window.

I think that if Arroyo would have pitched to Ward and given up a hit.....the same people would have written about Sorinao being 2 for 24 against Arroyo and why Narron is so stupid for not walking the LH and going against Arroyo.
    Good post. I agree wholeheartedly. Here's what Arroyo says.....

"I hadn't seen Ward much my whole career, but I know he's very quick inside," Arroyo reasoned. "There's no reason for me to face a guy from the left side fresh off the bench that I don't know a ton about when I've got a guy like Soriano that I've completely manhandled my whole career."

And they got what they wanted off of Soriano.

For people who rely so much on stats they aren't making much sense here. The numbers showed it to be a very favorable decision. Isn't that what you're looking for? But if it can involve slamming Narron they'll overlook that aspect. Besides the fact that Arroyo has owned Soriano. Take a look at these numbers....

Code:
             BA    OB%    SLG%     OPS
    vs LH  .281   .341   .475     .816
    vs RH  .220   .269   .341     .611
    This game came down to numerous things....

#1 - Rich Hill, who pitched at whooper of a game vs us last Sept at Wrigley, did so again yesterday. Give the guy credit.

#2 - While there was ony 1 error, and it cost us, there were numerous defensive lapses and poor decisions made. Ross abandoning the plate on the Izturis squeeze bunt, and while there was a man on 3B (who scored easily). That was Arroyo's ball. Arroyo's WP that advanced two runners into scoring position. A sac fly by Cedeno made it 1-0. And how in the world does a runner at 2B tag and get to 3rd on a pretty routine FB hit to LF? Freel's throw, and I don't even know who or where he was throwing it to, that hits the mound. And his impulsive behavior when on the bases and getting picked off against a strong throwing LHer.

All the 5 runs given up in that fateful 7th inning were unearned.

All these things add up.

And they didn't pull Arroyo soon enough? Yeah, this BP really came in and did a bangup job yesterday.

And it's obvious that some guys on this team have come out of the gate struggling offensively. We've played a whole 11 games. EE is struggling; but guys like Ross and Phillips have regressed to career norms after only two weeks of play?? Very small window.

Rich Hill is a good young LHer. But I compare his start yesterday to the previous one vs Lilly. They pitched good enough, but the weather was also a factor and beneficial to them. I understand that is so with both teams; but my point is about those so concerned about the Red's offense at this early stage of the season. In both of those games several Reds players put the wood on the ball, and they would have been no-doubters, as far as Hrs, if not for the weather/wind. As I listened to that game yesterday, Conine, Jr, Ross, EE, and Phillips all laid into some balls, with men on too, that a belligerent wind kept in the park. Even the announcers were saying so.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-15-2007 at 06:14 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Glad I missed this game

Turn Off Ads?