Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freel will see time at 3B

Can he be stopped?

Freel will see time at 3B

From Fay:

So no Josh Hamilton with lefty Rich Hill starting. Jerry Narron said Ryan Freel will probably get a start or two at third base soon in order to get Hamilton time in center field.
    Good for Hamilton, impressing the staff, but when can Edwin get a break around here?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Freel will see time at 3B

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    From Fay:

Good for Hamilton, impressing the staff, but when can Edwin get a break around here?
    I read that as Freel being demoted back to the supersub role, occasionally playing 3B, rather than a knock against EE.

Having Freel in that role makes this team a lot better, IMO.
    sorry we're boring

Senor Votto

I'm still not ready to give Josh a starting position for the majority of the season.

Too early to panic, if we start seeing Freel get 3 starts a week at 3rd then we can panic.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I'm still not ready to give Josh a starting position for the majority of the season.
    I don't think Narron is saying that will be the case. He's riding the hot hand. That's a good way to manage, IMO. Piniella did it all the time when he was here.

copied and pasted from the game thread:
    Though I'm sure it will be construed as a "punishment" of EE, i think it's more a realization of A. Freel is probably a little bit better 3b than a 2b. B. Phillips is a lot better defensively than EE. C. If Narron's going to move guys around he's going to try and do so with as little disruption as possible to the defense.
    (thus we won't see Freel to 2b, Phillips to SS)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I read that as Freel being demoted back to the supersub role, occasionally playing 3B, rather than a knock against EE.
    That's what it sounds like to me.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

This works well for everyone involved. The Reds have the best posible lineup while Freel, Griffey, EE, Hamilton and anyone else who needs to get days off on occassion. It will keep the team fresh and let's Freel contribute effectively. Meanwhile Hamilton gets teh chance to prove himself over the course of an entire season. It's really a win-win as long as EE isn't pulled too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Freel is probably a little bit better 3b than a 2b.
    I disagree here Freel doesn't have the arm to be a good 3rd baseman, besides CF IMO 2nd base is Freel best spot.

Fay just said that Freel has been taking grounders for the past couple of days.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Until Edwin starts hitting better, I don't have a problem with Freel playing 2 days a week at 3rd.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits View Post
    I disagree here Freel doesn't have the arm to be a good 3rd baseman, besides CF IMO 2nd base is Freel best spot.
    Ummm have you not seen Freel throw from the OF??? Freel has an excellent arm. The least of his worries is his arm strength.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Ummm have you not seen Freel throw from the OF??? Freel has an excellent arm. The least of his worries is his arm strength.
    It is the fact he likes to read the logo on the ball before he throws it.

Beat me to it.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Freel has at best the 4th strongest OF arm in the entire organization behind Hamilton, Denorfia and Bruce.

After those 3, no one really stands out as having a strong OF arm.

Turn Off Ads?