Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griffey: "You disrespected me!"

Griffey: "You disrespected me!"

GRIFFEY VS. WRITER: Ken Griffey Jr. got into a bit of a confrontation with a writer in the visitors' clubhouse at Wrigley.

While Griffey was talking to a Nike representative, Buzz Bissinger, author of "Friday Night Lights," came up and asked for a few minutes of his time.

Griffey said he was having a conversation, and Bissinger said he had only 20 minutes. Griffey basically said, too bad. Bissinger said "You're not worth it," or words to that effect, and walked away.

Griffey followed him and said some not-so-nice things. "You disrespected me," was all that was heard clearly.

I was ok with this story until the last line. Bissinger was impolite to interrupt in another conversation, and obviously felt his current star power justified his ability to step in. Griff was right to call him on it. However, there is a big difference in attitude between pointing out how discourteous Bissinger was to the other writer and following someone and yelling "You disrespected me." The first is how all of us should react, the second is what I would expect from someone of the character of a Allen Iverson. Griff is better than that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey: "You disrespected me!"

Hal McCoy said in his article that he went up to Griffey in the middle of a private conversation Griffey was having, and said "Talk to me. Now. I have 20 minutes," without even introducing himself. Griffey declined, and as Bissinger was walking away muttering about disrespect, Griffey followed him to the clubhouse door and said "No YOU disrespected ME." That version of the story doesn't sound so bad IMO, I applaud Jr. for it.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Hal McCoy said in his article that he went up to Griffey in the middle of a private conversation Griffey was having, and said "Talk to me. Now. I have 20 minutes," without even introducing himself. Griffey declined, and as Bissinger was walking away muttering about disrespect, Griffey followed him to the clubhouse door and said "No YOU disrespected ME." That version of the story doesn't sound so bad IMO, I applaud Jr. for it.
    In all honesty, only people who have a problem with Jr. could flip this around on him. What a shame. :thumbdown
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    This is a much better version. Even though I have enjoyed the show... Friday Night Lights just went down in my eyes.

Hal's version made the most sense to me, too.
    Makes all the routine posts.

For a Level Playing Field

See how things can be wriiten in such diffrent ways. I read Hal's version in this morning's DDN too. Then after reading the one Brisco got... two very different ways of writing it. I do not know which is more factual, but I am more inclined to believe Hal's story.

Get out of the REDS clubhouse... NOW.

I hate Friday night lights. Jr., I am cool with.

Much ado about nothing. If not speaking to either one of them immediately = disrespect to either one of them they need to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    In all honesty, only people who have a problem with Jr. could flip this around on him. What a shame. :thumbdown
    Ditto. It's such a shame.

Totally agree.

Believer since 1981

Hals version is obviously more accurate, he cant see so his hearing is super accurate!!! The other guy probably didnt hear what really was being said!
    Bowman Card Collector

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    I hate Friday night lights. Jr., I am cool with.
    Friday Night Lights is overrated. I didn't see the drama in it I guess like some non-sports people did. The Massillon Tigers documentary was much better.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Frankly, it was evident that John Fay is continuing his "big shot" trouble stirring mission for this year. What's up with that? It has become quite annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Frankly, it was evident that John Fay is continuing his "big shot" trouble stirring mission for this year. What's up with that? It has become quite annoying.
    The last 2 paragraphs were not included in Brisco's post...

Ken Griffey Jr. got into a bit of a confrontation with a writer in the visitors' clubhouse at Wrigley.

Griffey was talking to a Nike rep when Buzz Bissinger, author of "Friday Night Lights", came up and asked for a few minutes. Bissinger is working on something for the New York Times.

Griffey said he was having a conversation. Bissinger said he only had 20 minutes. Griffey basically said too bad. Bissinger said "you're not worth it" or words to that effect and walked away.

Griffey followed him and said some not so nice things. "You disrespected me," was all I heard clearly.

The whole thing was over in a minute or two.

I've got to side with Griffey here. Clubhouse protocol is that players are available, but at their leisure. If I wanted to talk to Griffey, I would have waited until he was free. He may or may not have talked to me. But all would have been civil
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    The last 2 paragraphs were not included in Brisco's post...
    Nice catch Kitty.

Turn Off Ads?