Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Biggest weakness in the Reds farm system?

Biggest weakness in the Reds farm system?

Pitching? Yeah, you can say Bailey but after that, while there are a few guys...nothing (at least in my opinion) to get too excited about. Even though we do have Arroyo and Harang locked up for a few more years, a new breed of good pitchers needs to come through at some point...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Biggest weakness in the Reds farm system?

I am ok with the pitching depth, but we need a great catcher. We don't even have a GOOD catcher in the organization, including the majors, let along great. I think Arencibia could change that.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Pitching is the Reds system strong point. If anything they have serious questions with the Bats. The only 2 bats we know are good are Bruce and Votto. After that there are a bunch of maybes and unprovens.

Catching definitely is the weak point just take a look at the depth chart through each level

AAA- Dan Conway, Ryan Jorgensen, Miguel Perez (injured)
    AA- Ryan Hanigan, John Purdom, J.C. Boscan
    High A- Chris Kroski, Craig Tatum
    A- Eddy Rodriguez, Tony Esquer, Justin Tordi

1. Miguel Perez
    2. Craig Tatum
    3. Ryan Hanigan
    4. Tony Esquer
    5. Dan Conway
    6. Ryan Jorgensen
    7. Chris Kroski
    8. J.C. Boscan
    9. John Purdom
    10. Eddy Rodriguez
    11. Justin Tordi

Granted catching is a traditionally shallow position pool anyways but this is a pretty lackluster list.
    Last edited by larks; 04-15-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: incomplete

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Catching prospects are hard to find in nearly EVERY organization. There just arent many decent catchers around that can hit.

Right handed power bat
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

As far as I can tell just taking a quick glance at our top prospects. We need everything, not just a singular catching prospect or a power bat.

WE NEED DEPTH EVERYWHERE.

I have high hopes for the upcoming draft. We have what, 6 picks in the top 108?

This years draft should give us a pretty good idea where we're going under Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I am ok with the pitching depth, but we need a great catcher. We don't even have a GOOD catcher in the organization, including the majors, let along great. I think Arencibia could change that.
    I think Arencibia is a can't miss hitter, but he has allowed a lot of passed balls and has thrown out something like 5 out of 27 baserunners. From what I've read, he has the tools to become a servicable major league catcher (good hands, strong arm, recieves the ball well (whatever that means)), but a move to 1B may be in order due to a lack of agility behind the plate. However, if the Reds could turn him into a decent defensive catcher, he would fill two needs for them, catcher and right-handed power.

That's true. The top catching prospect in the minors is Saltalamacchia and he was horrible last year at the plate (although he is off to a torrid start this year - .375/3HR/7RBI.

What worries about the Reds is their inability to develop the catchers they claim are "major league ready" defensively. Bako in the late '90s . . . Sardinha . . . and now Perez. LaRue was an exception for oh so short of a time.

Turn Off Ads?