Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Lohse

Re: Kyle Lohse

Lohse has always had great stufff. It was consistancy he always lacked. If he shows signs of being the pitcher Minnesota always expected him to be. Lets wait and see how both Belisle and Lohse do this year. We can always use 5 quality starting pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Another fine start by Lohse tonight-6 innings, 3 earned runs. He is really raising his trade value, and making it hard for us to re-sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Another fine start by Lohse tonight-6 innings, 3 earned runs. He is really raising his trade value, and making it hard for us to re-sign him.
    I didn't know if anyone would mention this but imo Lohse had an impressive start last night. He did not have his best stuff and struggled the entire game. However he only gave up 3 runs over 6 innings which I will take any day of the week. I just think there are a lot of people who are waiting for Lohse to fail and will bring out his whip or other numbers to discount his starts, but they guy continues to pitch solid baseball. I for one would happy to see him as a red for the next few years.

Most encouraging start of the season from Lohse. The knock on him has been he doesn't know how to survive when he doesn't have his best stuff. Last night, he definitely didn't have his best stuff. But he battled and kept the team in the game. Very encouraging.

While I admire the effort to pitch when you obviously don't have your best stuff, a few thoughts came to my mind.

1. Why did he tire so early?
    2. Is it just me, or is the Houston offense pretty blech?
    3. 11 baserunners in 6 innings is a lot.
    4. Regardless of the lineup, Oswalt is in the Reds collective heads.

But he kept them in the game. That's all you can ask sometimes.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    While I admire the effort to pitch when you obviously don't have your best stuff, a few thoughts came to my mind.

1. Why did he tire so early?
    2. Is it just me, or is the Houston offense pretty blech?
    3. 11 baserunners in 6 innings is a lot.
    4. Regardless of the lineup, Oswalt is in the Reds collective heads.

But he kept them in the game. That's all you can ask sometimes.
    You answered most of your questions with the bolded statement. The question on tiring so early can be pointed to the fact that he threw so many pitches with runners on. That's more mentally taxing than anything. Alot of times the mentality tiredness of a pitcher seems to have as much to do with his performance as his physical tiredness.

From C. Trent:

POSTGAME: I walked out with Kyle after his outing, and when we got out of the clubhouse is where our paths split. Sitting right there was Ken Griffey Jr. Griffey grabs me. "Can I say one thing?"

I go, "yeah."

Griffey looks at me and says, "He pitched his ass off. He didn't have his best stuff and he kept us in it."

That's a guy who earned a lot of respect in a losing outing. I thought that was damn impressive.

Another thing I noticed going through my tape -- we were talking to Griffey about Oswalt and his success against the Reds. he said, "yeah, it's like the same thing with Billy Hall" referring to the Brewers outfielder who has killed the Reds in recent years.

It's definately a sign of respect that Griffey makes mention of Lohse pitching well without his best stuff but I also think it's a sign that Griffey is more of a leader than most make him out to be. He didn't have to grab Trent to do this.

Its still early, but Krivsky should look into what terms Lohse would be willing to re-sign.We may not be able to do it until Milton is off the books, but he should try to do it if it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    You answered most of your questions with the bolded statement. The question on tiring so early can be pointed to the fact that he threw so many pitches with runners on. That's more mentally taxing than anything. Alot of times the mentality tiredness of a pitcher seems to have as much to do with his performance as his physical tiredness.

David Ross?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    David Ross?
    I don't follow.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    David Ross?
    If you're asking whether the results would have been different if Ross had caught, I don't know the answer to that. Would have have called for 7 straight fastballs to start the game?? Not sure he would have, but are the Reds pitchers allowed to shake something off?? I hope Lohse learned something about first inning grooved fastballs, I'm sure the next team will be looking for them.

Lohse has gone deep a number of times. He has the capability to do it,and I am sure he will do it in the future.

I like what Thom Brennaman said about Lohse in the 5th inning.... that even though he didn't have his best stuff, he was showing maturity and a mental toughness in fighting through and getting out of a few situations. Before, people never questioned his stuff; but did his mental approach, and that he didn't have the mental fortitude, but would melt down.

Lets hope it's what we'll see more from him. And the same with Belisle.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bumping back up after another solid effort from Lohse last night. Given the trend to the season (down, down, down) and Milwaukee's hot start (Reds may be buried by early July), if Lohse continues to be effective (please, please, please) then he really might be a nice trading chip at the deadline as he heads into his free agent off-season.

I still have hope for at least that.

Turn Off Ads?