Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Lohse

Re: Kyle Lohse

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Bumping back up after another solid effort from Lohse last night. Given the trend to the season (down, down, down) and Milwaukee's hot start (Reds may be buried by early July), if Lohse continues to be effective (please, please, please) then he really might be a nice trading chip at the deadline as he heads into his free agent off-season.

I still have hope for at least that.
    This was my thought in the offseason. I thought Lohse would have a career year ( doesn't every potential free agent? ).
    In July if the Reds are in contention they keep him.
    If they fall out of contention they trade him for a nice return.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    This was my thought in the offseason. I thought Lohse would have a career year ( doesn't every potential free agent? ).
    In July if the Reds are in contention they keep him.
    If they fall out of contention they trade him for a nice return.
    I'd trade him now before he turns back into a pumpkin. He is not in the future plans and this team is finished for 2007.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Its still early, but Krivsky should look into what terms Lohse would be willing to re-sign.We may not be able to do it until Milton is off the books, but he should try to do it if it can be done.
    I think it's in our interest (and Lohse's interest) to wait a few more months. If he's still logging quality starts with regularity, keeping the team in games, and surviving the hot summer at GABP, then I think Krivsky starts looking seriously at two things--trading and/or signing him.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I'd trade him now before he turns back into a pumpkin. He is not in the future plans and this team is finished for 2007.
    My guess is he probably is in Wayne's future plans.

If Lohse continues to pitch well it will be a tough decision on whether to resign him. He'll get Suppan/Marquis money. If 2007 was a mirage then we'll have another 'Milton' on our hands. However if he really has gotten it together we'll have a great starting rotation ( Harang-Arroyo-Lohse-Belisle-Bailey )

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If Lohse continues to pitch well it will be a tough decision on whether to resign him. He'll get Suppan/Marquis money. If 2007 was a mirage then we'll have another 'Milton' on our hands. However if he really has gotten it together we'll have a great starting rotation ( Harang-Arroyo-Lohse-Belisle-Bailey )

Marquis is 3 year, $21M.

Suppan is 4 years, $42M.

I might do the first.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Marquis is 3 year, $21M.

Suppan is 4 years, $42M.

I might do the first.
    Lohse has never had a good season in the majors as a starter. For the most part he has been bad. The Reds are likely to get the same level of performance from guys in the minors. Let someone else take the risk, he is not a good gamble on a 3+ year deal.

I was in favor of the Lohse trade last August(one of the few) because I thought he could help in the short term. However, in the long term he is a bad bet and hopefully the Reds will capitalize on his good start and go in a different direction.
    Last edited by flyer85; 05-08-2007 at 01:09 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Kyle Lohse has said he is open to an extension. I think Krivsky should try to get it done if he keeps giving us quality starts.
    I thought we already learned our lesson with Jimmy Haynes.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Another fine start last night. I am willing to wait a couple of months. I do belive he won over 15 games one year in Minnesota. I would consider that a good season. I think he just had troubles in Minnesota and disliked the move to the bullpen. Kyle Lohse is no Jimmy Haynes. He is one of those pitchers with tremendous stuff who Minnesota was expecting to be a front-line pitcher. He had a couple of good years in the begiinning, but lost his way as a starter,and was sent to the bullpen. I have all the confidence in the world he will win 15 games this year if the bullpen doesnt lose all his games.

If 2007 was a mirage then we'll have another 'Milton' on our hands.
    It's a mirage.

Don't be fooled.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Bumping back up after another solid effort from Lohse last night. Given the trend to the season (down, down, down) and Milwaukee's hot start (Reds may be buried by early July), if Lohse continues to be effective (please, please, please) then he really might be a nice trading chip at the deadline as he heads into his free agent off-season.

I still have hope for at least that.
    It's funny how things work, but you're right that the Reds abysmal start to 2007 may be a longterm blessing if they make the right decision regarding Kyle Lohse.

At this point, Lohse is not a guy I'm looking forward to the Reds offering a guaranteed contract in upwards of nearly $10 million a year for the necessary length of time to dissuade him from testing the free agent market. The ideal scenario for the Reds and their decision-making process involving Lohse is for him to build his trade value up as high as he possibly can, then sell him for a truckload of premium prospects to a team hoping to contend.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I do belive he won over 15 games one year in Minnesota. I would consider that a good season.
    Jimmy Haynes won 15 games for the Reds in 2002 while having a season that was virtually identical to his 2001 season with the Brewers where he lost 17.

Wins and losses don't really mean squat when it comes to pitchers.

Kyle's trick this season has been keeping the ball in the park. In spite of the fact that he's giving up more fly balls and getting fewer ground balls than at any point in his career, the ball is (thus far) staying in the yard. His control has also been much better, as he's walking far fewer batters. However, you're talking about a guy whose BB/9 rate right now is down nearly 40% from his *career* average. It's not likely to stay that way for long.

Don't be deceived--he might have improved somewhat, but at this point in his career, he's not reinventing himself. When the evenings start getting hotter as we head into late May and June, if Lohse is not able to maintain the high bar of control that he's established for himself thus far, he's going to start putting a lot more men on base, and a lot of those fly ball outs will turn into home runs.

As a reds fan, what you really hope for is that he keeps this up long enough to entice some team to overpay for him. That's how he can best benefit the Reds.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

then sell him for a truckload of premium prospects to a team hoping to contend.
    These days, no team deals a bunch of premium prospects for a player they can control for a matter of weeks. If the Reds can't extend him (and I hope they try to, at a hometown discount -- though it's very unlikely for any Boras client to agree to that), they may well prefer to keep him all year and take draft pick compensation in 08.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    These days, no team deals a bunch of premium prospects for a player they can control for a matter of weeks. If the Reds can't extend him (and I hope they try to, at a hometown discount -- though it's very unlikely for any Boras client to agree to that), they may well prefer to keep him all year and take draft pick compensation in 08.
    If Kyle Lohse can build his trade value high enough the first half of the season, then he could draw interest from several teams. Get enough leverage in a negotiation, especially if a team believes their main division rival is on the other line, then they may be willing to bend and overpay slightly. Obviously Kyle Lohse won't bring in a Homer Bailey or Jay Bruce caliber prospect, but he could bring in one or more prospects who have a legitimate shot at contributing nicely at the major league level.

Now the compensation angle is interesting, but the Reds better beware. Given that the compensation pick standards have recently been toughened and that Lohse's 2006 overall numbers statistically were awful, I'm not sure his free agent classification level could net the Reds a high enough compensation pick that could match the type of return the Reds could acquire in a trade. This past offseason Lohse didn't even qualify as a Type C classification due to his awful 2006 season, and he would have to climb all the way into the top 40 percent to qualify as a Type B player in order to allow the Reds to collect a compensation pick. Unfortunately, Lohse's 2005 season was actually pretty decent, and his 2007 season will effectively replace his 2007 season in terms of his free agent classification.

I hate to say it, but Lohse's 2006 season was so bad that the chances of him climbing up to Type B classification are a bit iffy at this point. If he's not at least a Type B player, then the Reds won't even receive one pick.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I would like to believe this is Lohse breakout year He has always had the stuff to be be an ace, but not the mental makeup. I would be very happyif he could be the Reds' Arroyo this year. Arroyo also came from the American League and turned out to be a quality pitcher. We got a hometown discount with Harang, and I expect to have to pay for Lohse if he has an era under 4.00 and 15 wins. Please lets drop all these false analogies to Jimmy Haynes that are total nonsense

Turn Off Ads?