Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 more years for Freel

Re: 2 more years for Freel

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Good post. Krivsky likes depth. He understands that, in addition to stars, you need good role players too. The depth of the pitching staff will definitely help the Reds this year.

Freel may not be a starter/lead off man for all three years, but he is a good guy to have. Plays multiple positions, covers ground in the outfield, hits right handed, a lead off type (Reds have very few).

Eventually Krivksy will spend for more stars, I'm sure of it. But making sure the team is deep and flexible is important too. Good move.
    Absolutely...and this is assuming Freel isn't an everyday starter, the Reds have just bought an insurance policy in case 1 of at least 5 positional players goes down. Or unless you want Golden Hands to play 3b every day if EE goes down.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gotta remember, Freel has someone else to support now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Any word on the $$?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    Could this have been for the fans? I know someone who would boycott the Reds if they ever unloaded Freel.
    I doubt it...Freel is nowhere near Casey or Larkin status. Beloved by some, yes...but I don't think the FO takes too much stock in that. I would imagine if something is done for the fans, it would be with Dunn.

I have a feeling that Dunn will be back for at least next year. Look at his extention compared to the contracts that the likes of Pierre and Mathewes Jr. got. As for Freel I guess it really depends on how much they are paying him. Freel is a very good super sub. He just doesn't have the talent to play every day. But if the reds are able to maximize his talents then he can be very useful. I just do not want to see him take playing time away from better talents.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    rotoworld is guessing in the $8-9 million range.
    OMG, that's way too much if true.

I like the idea of signing the core longterm, but Freel is not someone I want an expensive, long term commitment to. I really don't consider him part of the core at all.

Doesn't seem prudent to extend him now, unless it's ridiculously cheap.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have a feeling that Dunn will be back for at least next year.
    The Reds have an option on Dunn for next year.

There's zero chance they wouldn't exercise it.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    Could this have been for the fans? I know someone who would boycott the Reds if they ever unloaded Freel.
    It's been proven to be wiser to invest in a winning team than to keep fan favorites.

Investing all that money in Casey and Graves ended up being wrong.

If Wayne gave him 4 million or more, that's another black mark against him.

I'd be ok with around 2 million/year for Freel.. That's about the going rate for a solid backup player. I doubt Freel would take it, but if he walks, he walks.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It's been proven to be wiser to invest in a winning team than to keep fan favorites.

Investing all that money in Casey and Graves ended up being wrong.

If Wayne gave him 4 million or more, that's another black mark against him.

I'd be ok with around 2 million/year for Freel.. That's about the going rate for a solid backup player. I doubt Freel would take it, but if he walks, he walks.
    According to Cot's, Freel made $2.35 Million with his Plate Appearance bonus from last year. I doubt he signs a new contract for less than he's making this year. I'd be comfortable with a $6 - $7 Million dollar deal.

I'm with those who suggest this makes Freel more tradeable. I'm not saying that's a given, but I think WK likes to have contract longevity to give him flexibility in the trade market. I could be wrong about that, and only time will tell, as we see how these things work out. It will be interesting.

I don't see a Freel extension effecting Dunn with the club. I'd like to believe Dunn will be here long term and I think they'll make the effort to extend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Didn't he just sign one last season? Not that I'm complaining much, hopefully it's a good deal and makes him more trade able if it comes to that.
    That was my initial thought. It's now a known cost until 2009. Other teams love that.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Extend an oft-injured super-sub whose manager doens't think he can play everyday to two more guaranteed years?

Weird.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    According to Cot's, Freel made $2.35 Million with his Plate Appearance bonus from last year. I doubt he signs a new contract for less than he's making this year. I'd be comfortable with a $6 - $7 Million dollar deal.

I'm with those who suggest this makes Freel more tradeable. I'm not saying that's a given, but I think WK likes to have contract longevity to give him flexibility in the trade market. I could be wrong about that, and only time will tell, as we see how these things work out. It will be interesting.

I don't see a Freel extension effecting Dunn with the club. I'd like to believe Dunn will be here long term and I think they'll make the effort to extend him.
    Yes, I agree it's unlikely Freel would accept any offer I made him.

I see a guy that has yet to prove that he can be a starting player though. I don't like the idea of gambling 9 million over 2 years that he might be a starting player.

He's only OPSing in the 640 range now. He will never have power. He has to have that high OBP he showed us in spot starts early in his career in order to be valuable. Yes, I know it's early in the season, but he totally vanished in the second half of last year.

I'm not sure this makes him any more tradable or not. His main marketably point is that he can play CF, and there's a shortage of CF now.

I see it as a gamble. If he can get back to being a high OBP leadoff guy, it will be a good extension, but I am doubting that. The guy might end up losing his starting job to Hamilton before the end of the season. Why give guys on the bubble like that an expensive extension?

Lastly, I feel that it's moves like this which prevent us from having money to get those 10 million dollar impact players. Freel isn't that important to this team, particularly since his OBP seems to take a dive when he plays regularly.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

I'd be ok with around 2 million/year for Freel.. That's about the going rate for a solid backup player.
    Freel is quite a bit more than a solid back up player.

He plays at a near regular pace.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    This makes Freel more tradeable.

Without the signing, eventually the descision to stay or go would rest with Freel.

It now rest with us.

As long as the dollors are in line with his value, I don't see the harm in getting some cost security for our assets.

And to those how thing we overpayed fro Arroyo? Did you see what guys like Meche, Lilly etc. were getting last year?
    Just because other teams jumped off a cliff this off-season doesn't mean we should follow. We already had Arroyo signed for a few years. I think we should have waited to make sure he proved his value over a larger sample size. His 2006 season, by all accounts, was due to a lot of luck with BABIP. I liked the Harang signing a great deal, I just thought we jumped the gun with Arroyo.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Believer since 1981

You cant evaluate this extension at all until the terms are released.
    Bowman Card Collector

Turn Off Ads?