Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting at Va Tech. 33 Dead, 15 Injured [reportedly]

Re: Mass Shooting at Va Tech. 31 Dead, 28 Injured [reportedly]

According to AP the count is up to 33 now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    My prayers are out for the families and everyone affected. Such a sad story.

I can't help but wonder what made a guy fly off like that. No concern for human life. It's just sad that someone could be that far gone.
    With the cruel social stuff that goes on in HS, you can maybe relate to the pysche of the Columbine shooters (who reportedly were bullied relentlessly)...but this is College.

It doesn't add up.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

She is fine! She was finally able to get in touch with her parents. She had been in the cafeteria and it was locked down. I guess she either did not have her cell phone or it was not working. They heard from her a couple hours ago and then had to start calling everyone to let them know.

My friend is relieved obviously, but is so upset and sad for the rest of the families that will not get the good news they did.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

From what I've gathered, the initial shootings happened at 7:15 and the school sent out EMAILS almost 2 hours later before the second rounds of shootings happened?

I smell a lawsuit or something coming at VT. There's no reason more students shouldn't have known what was going on.

And I'm glad to hear she's okay, TeamDunn

jnickols

How horrific, we send our most cherished treasures, our children off to college and never in our wildest dreams could we imagine something like this. This is their home away from home. I pray for each and every family affected. I only hope there are no copycats out there. Our thought and prayers are with you.

I guess it would not be a bad idea for parents to have a copy of their kids schedules so they know what building they should be in at any given time.

This is just so sad and senseless.

I'm relieved to hear the news for your friend TD. Even though we're all just people on a message board, but at times it feels like family and to know 'family' is concerned can only leave me feeling the same way.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn View Post
    I guess it would not be a bad idea for parents to have a copy of their kids schedules so they know what building they should be in at any given time.

This is just so sad and senseless.
    I forget what it is called, but there is something here where I go to college that prohibits them from divulging information about students to outside sources, including parents. Not sure if that exists at every college.

The only way around it is if the student waives the right so the school cannot be sued, but I don't see a lot of college age students (18-21) releasing their supposed whereabouts to their parents.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families affected.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

How does an idiot like that get a gun and so much ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I forget what it is called, but there is something here where I go to college that prohibits them from divulging information about students to outside sources, including parents. Not sure if that exists at every college.

The only way around it is if the student waives the right so the school cannot be sued, but I don't see a lot of college age students (18-21) releasing their supposed whereabouts to their parents.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families affected.

It's called the FERPA act of 1974. It's a federal law. Basically a college can give out a student's name, their program, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of the athletes, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, most recent previous educational institution attended and enrollment status.

If a student doesn't want their parents to know their schedule, the school can't help them. The only way around this is if a student gives their written consent to release any othe information. I deal with this every day. You never know when some one is going to be looking for someone for whatever reason. You tell them the student is in such and such a room and you have something like this happen.

It was probably pretty difficult to communicate with the outside there today as everyone was probably calling and e-mailing people to let them know they were OK. So sad to see these kids get killed so young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Re: Mass Shooting at Va Tech. 22 Dead, 28 Injured [reportedly]

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Trust me, not making light of this in ANY way, but I had been wondering what it would take to get people on the news to move away from the Imus story.
    Here in Atlanta I believe it was Neil Boortz said had this happened last Monday Don Imus would still have a job.

I don't see why students would not give their parents their schedules?? I was not talking about a university doing it...I meant for the parents to get it from the kids before they head off to school. I never realized it was taboo to share that info with your parents??? (Especially if they are paying for your education)

Leading league in hotness

I just heard an interview of a boy who was in a class where many of his classmates were shot.....gave me the shivers. Just horrible, horrible......

There was a first shooting where only one or two were killed, and then two hours later many more were killed. VT didn't feel the need to alert all the students because they thought they apprehended all the suspects.

My mom's brother (my uncle) was killed when I was just a child, and she is now remembering what it was like to receive a phone call, and getting told that your brother/sister/daughter/son/ect has been killed. Just plain disbelief.....

So sad

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn View Post
    I don't see why students would not give their parents their schedules?? I was not talking about a university doing it...I meant for the parents to get it from the kids before they head off to school. I never realized it was taboo to share that info with your parents??? (Especially if they are paying for your education)
    A lot of students attend by scholarship and other means of financial aid, so payment really isnt an issue.

Of course, kids probably do share their schedules with their parents, but the kids are either pulling the covers over the parents eyes, or the parents are turning a blind eye to the kids. I think that will change after this.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: Mass Shooting at Va Tech. 33 Dead, 28 Injured [reportedly]

This is totally new. Nobody has ever done a domestic killing and then waited two hours to mass kill people on the other side of campus.

Blame is the immediate response and it's something CNN and FOXNews are blabbing about. It's a very unique situation and something nobody can plan for.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?