Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Mass Shooting at Va Tech. 33 Dead, 15 Injured [reportedly]

Re: Mass Shooting at Va Tech. 33 Dead, 15 Injured [reportedly]

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think Librescu knew what he was doing and wanted as many kids to get out as possible. I'm around the same age of the German professor who died and once had a notion of becoming a German professor myself. I've taught at a tech school too, so I've actually been thinking of what I would do in that situation ever since the incident occurred. If I were in Librescu's position, my goal would have been to get as many of those students out of harms way as fast as possible. When your a teacher, you can't help but think about the potential of your students to truly accomplish something, to be somebody great. Of course I also wonder if I would have been frozen by shock, unable to do anything. It truly is amazing when someone thinks and acts quickly enough to save the lives of others.
    I would never criticize someone for failing to act heroically, as it is tough to know how I would have acted myself in such a situation. I would just praise and honor someone such as Librescu who died a true hero's death.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    It is quite obvious from the "package" this young man sent to NBC that he was rather disturbed and very determined which as noted is truly the crux of the problem. Not sure how to address that.
    I don't see how you can either when dealing with disturbed individuals like this. When you are not only sick, dut determined, you're going to find a way.

I was listening to the news this morning and they said they guy had a harassment and a stalking charge against this guy as late as 2005. He was taken to a psychiatric hospital on a magistrate's orders and was pronounced a danger to himself. But he was released with orders to undergo outpatient treatment.

When someone is deemed mentally ill by a judge, they should be placed in the computerized data base, like a felon, in which they are not able to legally buy a gun. Other then that, I don't have an answer.

But it seems there were plenty of "warning signs", as more comes out on this guy, that he was a disturbed individual, and that maybe someone should have intervened and seen this guy got help. Even if ordered to. His own parents, at some point in the past, notified the school that he was suicidal.

A few students who even went to high school with him said he was picked on and taunted ...""There were just some people who were really mean to him and they would push him down and laugh at him..... "He didn't speak English really well and they would really make fun of him."

He was totally alienated, not part of the "in" crowd, and you couple that with mental illness, it pushed this kid over the edge.

And even at college there was his twisted, violence-filled writings and menacing, uncommunicative demeanor that had disturbed professors and students so much that he was removed from one English class and was repeatedly urged to get counseling.

I don't say any of that to in anyway justify what this psychopath did; but only that they were pretty obvious warning signs that maybe someone should have intervened before he hurt himself and then possibly others....professors who were alarmed at his bizarre behavior, administrators, etc. They knew there was something wrong with this kid.

This guy has kinda gotten "celebrity status" for what he did, meaning all the media coverage. I'm afraid that there are other disturbed individuals who are watching all this transpire and now want to copy it. That is what is currently bothering me.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-19-2007 at 05:00 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Some people believe that if 4 or 5 guys had rushed the killer, they could have stopped him. But it's hard to say what you would do in that situation. The kid had semi-auto weapons, charging him unarmed may not have done anything but give him easier shots. The host of the show said that in a situation like that you really can't fault anyone's actions except the killer's. And I agree.
    Last I read, and it's been a day or two, he was armed with several hand guns. If that news has changed, then ignore the rest of this post.

Handguns, shot guns and rifles sold in the US are "semi-auto" weapons. That is, one pull of the trigger, one bullet expended. You can legally purchase fully automatic weapons but it is difficult, expensive and most local sherifs will not allow it in their jursidictions (at least in Ohio). You don't bebop to your local gun store and pick one out. It's a popular misconception that semi-auto = machine gun.

I only point this out because some folks (not necessarly you Razor) read "semi-auto" weapons and think, "oh, dear he's got a machine gun". Again, assuming news has not come out that he was infact armed with fully automatic weapons, that his hand guns were "semi-automatic" does not necessarly render them any more dangerous.

Unfortuntaley, being in the hands of a mentally unstable psycotic killer, does make them far more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Unfortunately we'll never know in this case as Cho bought his automatic weapons legally. It's entirely possible IMO that with his apparent social skills that he would not have been able to acquire them on the black market as easily GAC suggests.
    At least according to this story on msnbc he had no "automatic" weapons; that is automatic as in being a fully automatic weapon. (ie. pull the trigger once and bullets keep coming out.)

Authorities had already established that Cho bought one of his weapons, a Glock 9mm handgun, at a gun shop near the university. And they knew that he took delivery of the second, a .22-caliber Walther P-22, at a nearby pawnbroker.
    This is mearly a technical detail that offers no solice whatsoever to the victims of the horrable tragedy, but in the interests of being accurate, the weapons in the story referenced above are not fully-automatic weapons.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 04-19-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Last I read, and it's been a day or two, he was armed with several hand guns. If that news has changed, then ignore the rest of this post.

Handguns, shot guns and rifles sold in the US are "semi-auto" weapons. That is, one pull of the trigger, one bullet expended. You can legally purchase fully automatic weapons but it is difficult, expensive and most local sherifs will not allow it in their jursidictions (at least in Ohio). You don't bebop to your local gun store and pick one out. It's a popular misconception that semi-auto = machine gun.

I only point this out because some folks (not necessarly you Razor) read "semi-auto" weapons and think, "oh, dear he's got a machine gun". Again, assuming news has not come out that he was infact armed with fully automatic weapons, that his hand guns were "semi-automatic" does not necessarly render them any more dangerous.
    Yeah I know exactly what you mean. The only reason I typed "semi-auto" is because many people have used the phrase "automatic weapon" which is incorrect. I understand what you thought I meant, but my thinking is exactly in line with yours on what people perceive "semi-auto" to mean.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Cho got his ammo clips off of Ebay, oh, and expect the beginning of a backlash toward violent horror films. "Vacancy" is already getting it now, and this news certainly isn't going to help.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070421/D8OL9JRO0.html

By ADAM GELLER and CHRIS KAHN

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - The Virginia Tech killer went to eBay to buy ammunition clips for one of the types of guns he used in the rampage, a spokesman for the auction site confirmed Saturday.

Using the handle Blazers5505, Seung-Hui Cho bought two 10-round magazines for the Walther P22 - one of two handguns used in the massacre of 32 people. The clips were bought March 22 from a gun shop in Idaho.

"It's apparent that he purchased the empty magazine clips," eBay spokesman Hani Durzy said. "They're similar to what could be purchased in any sporting goods store around the country."

On eBay and affiliated sites, Cho also sold several books with violent themes, tickets to Hokies football games, and a graphics calculator that contained several games.

"The calculator was used for less than one semester then I dropped the class," he wrote.

Cho's eBay feeback rating from other users was superb - 98.5 percent. Only one person gave him a negative rating. The site says the person has had an account since January 2004.

On the eBay-affiliated Web site half.com, several books were listed for sale under the screen name "blazers5505."

They include "Men, Women, and Chainsaws" by Carol J. Clover, a book that explores gender in the modern horror film; the publisher's note reads: "Do the pleasures of horror movies really begin and end in sadism?"

Others include "The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre," by H.P. Lovecraft; and "The Female of the Species: Tales of Mystery and Suspense" by Joyce Carol Oates - a book in which the publisher writes: "In these and other gripping and disturbing tales, women are confronted by the evil around them and surprised by the evil they find within themselves."

Books by those three authors were taught in his Contemporary Horror class, meaning he could have been merely selling the used books at the end of the semester.

Computer forensics have played a major role in the investigation into Cho's motives. Authorities are examining the personal computers found in his dorm room.

Experts say that when the subject of an investigation is a loner like Cho, such records can be a rich source of information.

An examination of a computer is "very revealing, particularly for a person like this," said Mark Rasch of FTI Consulting, a computer and electronic investigation firm. "What we find ... particularly with people who are very uncommunicative in person, is that they may be much more communicative and free to express themselves with the anonymity that computers and the Internet give you."

Andy Koch, Cho's suitemate from 2005-06, said he never saw Cho receive or send a package. He said if a student receives a package from FedEx or UPS, it is usually delivered to the dorm, and a note is left on the door if the student is not home.

Cho's computers likely will hold records of any e-mail communications he had. But they could also show the topics he researched, online purchases he made, his essays and diaries and photos.

Investigators also are seeking his cell phone records on the theory that he may have warned someone about what would become the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

"Seung-Hui Cho is known to have communicated by cellular telephone and may have communicated with others concerning his plans to carry out attacks on students and faculty at Virginia Tech," police wrote Friday in an affidavit seeking records from cellular service provider Verizon Wireless.

A spokesman for Verizon Wireless, Jeffrey Nelson, declined to comment Saturday.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?