Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting at Va Tech. 33 Dead, 15 Injured [reportedly]

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Mass Shooting at Va Tech. 33 Dead, 15 Injured [reportedly]

As a permanent resident alien of the US, I'm not too thrilled about where this thread is going.

To clear up a few things...

As part of the immigration process...applicants are screened. Police and health records must be provided. Heck, if you can't come up with your childhood innoculation records...they will give you a horse needle with vaccinations to everything...again.

In the case of family petitions, the person claiming you must vouch for your financial welfare, since you are not allowed any federal (not sure if state) assistance.

Once you are approved and come to the US, you are bound by all the laws of the land and the obligations that come with it (important since it iS April 17th). And with very small limitations (ability to hold some offices, vote and participate in juries)...you enjoy the same rights.

Unless your screw up...and get yourself deported, you can be a permanent legal alien for as long as you like. After 5 years of being a green card holder you can opt to become a US Citizen (after passing a simple citizenship test).

It's not easy to become a permanent legal alien in the US. I had to wait 14 years for my petition's number to come up. But this is a very good country in which to live in so many people choose to do so (as did I). Others do so out of necessity (not so much my case).

In any case, I appreciate the fact that we are allowed to live in this great country enjoying the same rights as those who were born here. It would really be nice if it stayed that way.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Has anyone read about the 76 year old professor who sacrificed his life to save his students? As reported in the Jerusalem post, Professor Liviu Librescu threw himself in front of the shooter when the murderer attempted to enter his classroom. He was shot to death as he blocked the doorway and asked students to flee. Students jumped out through windows. Professor Librescu was a Holocaust survivor who escaped communist Romania for Israel in 1978 and moved to Virginia in 1986. He was murdered on Holocaust Remembrance Day.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Has anyone read about the 76 year old professor who sacrificed his life to save his students? As reported in the Jerusalem post, Professor Liviu Librescu threw himself in front of the shooter when the murderer attempted to enter his classroom. He was shot to death as he blocked the doorway and asked students to flee. Students jumped out through windows. Professor Librescu was a Holocaust survivor who escaped communist Romania for Israel in 1978 and moved to Virginia in 1986. He was murdered on Holocaust Remembrance Day.
    Yeah, I heard about this. What a great man. I'm sure he saved countless lives and his family and students should be very proud of him. He's certainly in my prayers.

http://detroittigertales.blogspot.co...community.html

Sad Day for Our Community

Brian Bluhm, a popular member of the Detroit Tigers internet community, was one of the students killed in the horrible shooting at Virginia Tech yesterday. I never met Brian in person but he was an important part of my life over the past several years. The same sentiment is being expressed by hundreds of friends on the blogs and messageboards which make up our community. Our thoughts are with his family today.

Brian, who was 25 years old, was weeks away from completing a Masters degree in Civil Engineering and starting a promising career in water resources. I had known him throughout most of his undergraduate and graduate years at Virginia Tech. Anybody who has participated on Detroit Tigers messageboards or blogs over the past 6 or 7 years has surely come in contact with Brian. He was usually known on the internet as "estrepe1" and sometimes as VTTigers or BrianB.

Everybody who knew Brian liked him as a person and appreciated his knowledge of the game and of the Tigers. Whenever we saw his name, we knew it would be followed by an insightful and rational comment about the Tigers. When you talked to Brian, you did not talk to an anonymous fan on a messageboard. You talked to a very intelligent, cordial and thoughtful gentleman. He was straightforward and honest and always interested in what you had to say. He was a real person and a real friend to all of us and our community will not be the same without him.

More info on the shooter:

Cho came to the United States in 1992, through Detroit, Michigan, a department of Homeland Security official said. He had lawful permanent residence, via his parents, and renewed his green card in October 2003, the official said.
    This person has been in the US since he was about 8. I figured as much, seeing he was an English Major.

I hope no-one starts proposing all us resident aliens and our kids get psych checks as a condition of renewing our green cards.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I hardly ever post, but read the Reds forum everyday as I am a huge fan of the Reds. I am a student at VT currently. Luckily for me, I was not on campus when these events occured on Monday and did not know any of the people who lost their lives. However, there are many people like Professor Librescu who were heros. This post is correct as he blocked the doors so his students could jump out of the second story in Norris. One of my roommates had him as a teacher and said he was one of the best teachers he ever had.

Our campus came together today with a convocation with President Bush, Governor Kaine and university officials. Although many may not agree with some of the actions that occured with the notifications that were sent out to the students after the first shootings by VT and the police, VT President Steger recieved the largest ovation and should be supported during this time. Please keep the entire VT/Blacksburg community and families in your prayers.

If anyone has any questions about anything, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    More info on the shooter:

This person has been in the US since he was about 8. I figured as much, seeing he was an English Major.

I hope no-one starts proposing all us resident aliens and our kids get psych checks as a condition of renewing our green cards.

That would be extremely short-sighted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

This is not an immigration problem, nor a gun control issue. This is an "emotionally disturbed, whacked out, crazed individual who was too much of a coward to leave this world on his own, but feels he has to take as many as he can with him" issue.

But I am really having a hard time comprehending how this nut could carry out two separate attacks two hours apart?

Forgive me because my work schedule has been very hectic these last couple of days, so I haven't really been able to stay up on this tragedy at all; but I just can't see how he could have carried out two attacks two hours apart???
    Last edited by GAC; 04-17-2007 at 08:55 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Brian was a regular over at Sickels's site, which many of us participate in. I was reading some of his posts last night made just a few hours before the murders.Eerie is the word, i guess. I shed a few tears for he and all involved.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Re: Mass Shooting at Va Tech. 33 Dead, 28 Injured [reportedly]

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    like Columbine being heavily blamed on Marylin Manson despite both boys hating his music.
    Ok, this is in no way a valid comparison. It would be absurd to haul the VT security authorities into court right now, but there certainly seem to have been enough questions regarding their judgment of the situation to warrant an investigation -- if for no other reason than it may cause schools to re-examine their security policies in hopes of preventing anything like this in the future. Are they responsible for what happened? No. Could they have prevented part of what happened? That isn't the same question, and there's no definitive answer to that question yet. The police could have investigated Marily Manson for all eternity and never would have found any any ability on his part to prevent Columbine. This is not the same thing.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    This is not an immigration problem, nor a gun control issue. This is an "emotionally disturbed, whacked out, crazed individual who was too much of a coward to leave this world on his own, but feels he has to take as many as he can with him" issue.

But I am really having a hard time comprehending how this nut could carry out two separate attacks two hours apart?

Forgive me because my work schedule has been very hectic these last couple of days, so I haven't really been able to stay up on this tragedy at all; but I just can't see how he could have carried out two attacks two hours apart???
    GAC,

There has been speculation that those 2 hours were spent typing his 8 page hate letter. I guess the computer forensics people can tell what time he typed that letter to be sure??? Not sure where that "rumor" started...if it was officially released or just someone's thoughts.

I made a comment today that he could have even gone to a hardware store to get the chains and locks he put on the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn View Post
    GAC,

There has been speculation that those 2 hours were spent typing his 8 page hate letter. I guess the computer forensics people can tell what time he typed that letter to be sure??? Not sure where that "rumor" started...if it was officially released or just someone's thoughts.

I made a comment today that he could have even gone to a hardware store to get the chains and locks he put on the doors.
    It has been speculated and said on the news that Cho Seung-Hui went back to his dorm room in Harper Hall after the first shootings in AJ Hall. This is no more than a two minute walk or less from one to another (I lived in the dorm building (Cochrane Hall)in between the two). It is unlikely that he went to get chains during this time based on where hardware stores are in location to the campus (although possible). Supposedly the eight page paper was one that he wrote for his English class (he was an English major). We all here wonder what happened during this time frame. It is roughly a 15 minute walk from AJ or Harper Hall to Norris Hall where the 2nd killings occurred.

Yes. Exactly. But the search for a "common thread" that unites all these whack jobs is understandable. Like any disease, we yearn for a cure or at the very least...a reliable diagnosis.

Why these things happen and why these things happen in AMERICA (almost exclusively) haunts us all. And I after this latest incident, I don't see us any closer to knowing.

That scares me...

They feel pain/suffer. So they somehow, in there twisted psyches, feel they must make as many as possibly likewise feel pain and suffer also.

My only question is that when the school discovered the first two shootings, which were around 7:15 AM or so, why they didn't take better precautions based on what they did know, not what they didn't.... two people were shot, the shooter was still loose somewhere. It doesn't matter what they were being told or assumed. They have a responsibility to that campus and those students/faculty present. Not second guess. Not in these situations.

I'm not saying they "lock down" the campus. That is almost an impossibility. But they could have had the police/SWAT teams in there as soon as possible, providing surveillance, setting up checkpoints, or at least guarding/monitoring entrances to several of the main buildings/classrooms on campus. For crying out loud, make an effort to provide some sort of security/safeguards until you know more.

If this guy had walked back to his dorm to do whatever, do you think he would have, some two hours later, been able to walk into that other building if there were trained (and armed) police patrolling the campus and/or set up at some of the entrances?

The more I delve into this situation I realize it would have been almost impossible to stop the initial shooting. But that should have been enough of a warning to these administrators to act more decisively. Even if they went somewhat overboard in their actions to secure the campus, it would have been justified and at least understood by the masses (and parents) due to what just transpired. I'd rather be condemned for doing too much then too little in these types of situations.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-18-2007 at 08:18 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

They feel pain/suffer. So they somehow, in there twisted psyches, feel they must make as many as possibly likewise feel pain and suffer also.

My only question is that when the school discovered the first two shootings, which were around 7:15 AM or so, why they didn't take better precautions based on what they did know, not what they didn't.... two people were shot, the shooter was still loose somewhere. It doesn't matter what they were being told or assumed. They have a responsibility to that campus and those students/faculty present. Not second guess. Not in these situations.

I'm not saying they "lock down" the campus. That is almost an impossibility. But they could have had the police/SWAT teams in there as soon as possible, providing surveillance, setting up checkpoints, or at least guarding/monitoring entrances to several of the main buildings/classrooms on campus. For crying out loud, make an effort to provide some sort of security/safeguards until you know more.

If this guy had walked back to his dorm to do whatever, do you think he would have, some two hours later, been able to walk into that other building if there were trained (and armed) police patrolling the campus and/or set up at some of the entrances?

The more I delve into this situation I realize it would have been almost impossible to stop the initial shooting. But that should have been enough of a warning to these administrators to act more decisively. Even if they went somewhat overboard in their actions to secure the campus, it would have been justified and at least understood by the masses (and parents) due to what just transpired. I'd rather be condemned for doing too much then too little in these types of situations.
    GAC, the campus is 2600 acres. The authorities thought they had the first incident handled. It's very easy to see why the gunmen snuck through. It doesn't make it anyone's fault.

Blacksburg is a small town. Heavy police teams like SWAT probably aren't based there. In a few minutes of searching, I couldn't find evidence of the existence of a Blacksburg SWAT. I'm guessing the closest team is based out of Roanoke, which is a solid hour drive away.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?