Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New York City for a day

Re: New York City for a day

Maybe you and the wife could spend a bit of time down on Canal Street haggling with the shop owners for knock-offs. Much more interesting than sitting around at Bloomingdale's waiting for her to finish.

I don't know if it would be on my one-day list, but the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, up by Columbia, is a pretty amazing place. The Statue of Liberty would actually fit inside it...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ABEsolutely View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I definitely thought about Yankee Stadium and even Shea. Thankfully my wife loves baseball too (and the Reds--yes I know I'm fortunate) and she's OK with whatever. If I happen to get to that game, I'm sure I'll be the only one with Reds stuff on.
    She also likes nice restaurants, so I'll definitely take your suggestion seriously, edabbs.
    Some others:

St Pat's, Greenwich Village, seeing a Broadway show, having a near-death experience in a taxi.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Some others:

St Pat's, Greenwich Village, seeing a Broadway show, having a near-death experience in a taxi.
    This thread is very timely as we are planning a trip to NY to see Yankee Stadium before they tear it down.

As far as Broadway shows, are there shows during the day or are they always at night?? We plan on going to two night games so Broadway shows during the day would work best.

Also we are staying very close to Times Square, any tips on good restaurants or pub type bars close by??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    This thread is very timely as we are planning a trip to NY to see Yankee Stadium before they tear it down.

As far as Broadway shows, are there shows during the day or are they always at night?? We plan on going to two night games so Broadway shows during the day would work best.

Also we are staying very close to Times Square, any tips on good restaurants or pub type bars close by??
    I think there are matinees only on Saturday (possibly Sunday too).
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

If you've only got 1 day, and the Yankees are at home, that's a must. If you're going to be in the Bronx for a ball game, the Bronx Zoo is right up there with the San Diego Zoo IMO. In fact, that's what I'd do - take care of the Bronx in one trip, and worry about Manhattan or the other boroughs another time.

If you want to take in Manhattan, The Metropolitan Museum of Art is killer. Unlike most other museums in the US, you can't see it all at once. Pick a couple of sections and spend some time in them. If you try to see "everything" at once, you'll burn too much time and short change yourself.

Haven't been to MoMA since it moved.

I'd die a happy man if I never set foot in Times Square again. Having said that, there's a 1/2 price ticket booth that sells day-of theater tickets. If you just want to see "a show" and not a specific show, that's a cheap alternative.

I'd skip Wall Street. Not much to see or do around there.

Edit: I think Central Park is a bigger deal for New Yorkers than it is for the rest of the country. If you live anywhere else, you've probably got plenty of parks, trees and greenspaces. The view of Central Park (as well as all of the other views) from the Empire State Building can be interesting. But by itself, Central Park doesn't do a whole lot for me. If you want to go for a run or rollerblade or something, then maybe. Otherwise, it's not that different from your city's main park.
    Last edited by 15fan; 04-16-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Maybe you and the wife could spend a bit of time down on Canal Street haggling with the shop owners for knock-offs. Much more interesting than sitting around at Bloomingdale's waiting for her to finish.

I don't know if it would be on my one-day list, but the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, up by Columbia, is a pretty amazing place. The Statue of Liberty would actually fit inside it...
    The Canal Street thing actually sounds like a good time! I think knockoffs are cool, and who doesn't like haggling?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Haha. I think we'll stick to the subway. Maybe that's not the greatest idea either. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I'd die a happy man if I never set foot in Times Square again. Having said that, there's a 1/2 price ticket booth that sells day-of theater tickets. If you just want to see "a show" and not a specific show, that's a cheap alternative.
    When I was there (back in 2002) the line for this ticket booth was rediculously long. I doubt it has changed much since.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Also any good watering holes around Yankee Stadium and is Mickey Mantle's restaurant worth the trip???
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

For Italian, Carmine's on 44th is excellent, http://www.carminesnyc.com/

Definitely since I'm going there this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by ABEsolutely View Post
    The Canal Street thing actually sounds like a good time! I think knockoffs are cool, and who doesn't like haggling?

Haha. I think we'll stick to the subway. Maybe that's not the greatest idea either. Oh well...
    Canal Street, Washington Square, Bleeker St., St. Marks, SoHo, TriBeCa, Chinatown,...all good. Times Square is kind of boring after you get over the whole "Hey, I'm in Times Square" feeling. But if I could get tickets to the Yankees game, I would be there first.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Personally I prefer Washington Square & Central Park to Times Square, which IMO is just a big tourist trap.
    School's out. What did you expect?

The Cloisters are pretty damn cool too....

The Cloisters is the branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art dedicated to the art and architecture of the European middle ages. The Cloisters is located in New York City, specifically Fort Tryon Park near the northern tip of Manhattan island on a hill overlooking the Hudson River. The Cloisters include the museum building and the adjacent 4 acres (16,000 m&#178.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloisters
    School's out. What did you expect?

Send me a PM George with all your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I think there are matinees only on Saturday (possibly Sunday too).
    It might depend on the show...I thought some Wed shows were matinees.

Turn Off Ads?