Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New York City for a day

Re: New York City for a day

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Definitely since I'm going there this summer.
    PM me also Chip if you need any recommendations. I work in Manhattan so I know some of the areas of NYC pretty well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ABEsolutely View Post
    What's on Staten Island? Anything worth seeing? I see there's a blue line that goes the length of the island.
    The only thing on SI worth seeing is the return exit sign back to the ferry.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    The only thing on SI worth seeing is the return exit sign back to the ferry.

That was awesome.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I was in NYC w/family for a few days in spring break.

My two bits: Statue of Liberty...good but takes the whole day. Security Checks were Murder.
    Empire State: didn't make it...lines too long..2hrs Plus. More security checks.

Rockefeller Center has an observation tower. Try that.
    Sony Building 55th/Madison tour and or NBC studios tour...alternatives for a
    few hours.

Theater: if you can get to TKTS (46th and broadway)...get some 50% off tickets and see a show...THAT day. Wicked is sold out..but there are plenty of other shows (We saw three...enjoyed all).

http://www.sonywondertechlab.com
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I have been to NYC many times for a day. I like to take an early train in, walk around with my traveling companion(s) to compare NY experiences, see a matinee program (you'd be surprised by how many early theatre performances, music events, etc. are scheduled) or go to a museum for a few hours, eat dinner at one of the incredible restaurants (budget and location are usually the determining factors) and then get a drink at either an old haunt or a new place I've read about. Take the last train you can to get home and savor the time you spent in this great city.

Go to the "Goings on about town" section of the most current New Yorker to see who's playing at Carnegie Hall, Alice Tully Hall, The Beacon Theatre, Blue Note (whatever type of music you like will have a fascinating venue in New York).
    The Cloisters are a great destination, as is the Guggenheim, Brookyn Museum, Cooper-Hewitt National design museum, the Frick Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I have been to NYC many times for a day. I like to take an early train in, walk around with my traveling companion(s) to compare NY experiences, see a matinee program (you'd be surprised by how many early theatre performances, music events, etc. are scheduled) or go to a museum for a few hours, eat dinner at one of the incredible restaurants (budget and location are usually the determining factors) and then get a drink at either an old haunt or a new place I've read about. Take the last train you can to get home and savor the time you spent in this great city.

Where do you take the train in from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by ABEsolutely View Post
    So I'm going to be in NYC for a day (April 28th). I tried writing down what I didn't want to miss, but since I've never been there before, I thought I'd see what RedZoners suggest. What should I try to get to (using public transportation) while there?
    Thanks
    What are your interests; what do you like to do and what is important to you? How does a big good meal compare to an afternoon at a museum to nature? Do you like to walk a lot or would you prefer a bunch of things to do in a concentrated area? Is it important to you to see in person the famous parts of New York that you've seen on TV, or do you prefer things a little off-the-beaten-path and neighborhood-y? Who will be with you? I could probably give you a lot of suggestions in any case, but there is so much to do in New York City and a day is such a short time that if you really want to make the most of your experience, you really have to lay out what's most important to you. One man's Empire State Building is another man's old-school Italian pizza joint in Brooklyn. They're both well worthwhile, but with only a day you're going to have to choose.

FYI, Abesolutely, the day pass starts when you use it. It expires sometime the next day, like 4 am or something (much later than you'll probably be using it). So, buy it at 6 am and it's good for 22 hours; but it at 11 pm and it's good for five.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 04-16-2007 at 07:33 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I agree with the people who said to research your own interests, go on the web and pursue what you like.

For example, if you like needlepoint, there's probably a needlepoint museum, or a ball-and-thread gallery of some sort. It's a huge city.

For example, my wife had relatives who immigrated into the city and lived as very poor people in the garment district. So, for us, the Lower East Side Tenament museum was fascinating. Some others might say, wtf would you go there?

I do think that Times Square is a must see. Preferably at night for the lights and stuff, esp. if you've never been to Vegas, Tokyo, Hong Kong, or somewhere with that many lights (which I have not).

I rarely disagree with Pedro on this board, but I would NOT recommend the Cloisters museum for a one-day trip unless that's your thing (see my first paragraph). Don't get me wrong, it's really cool. I lived in the neigborhood, and used to go to concerts (gregorian chants, etc.) there. However, the neighborhood, quite frankly, scares the living crap out of the average tourist. And even if you're brave about it, it's kind of out of the way of the other stuff you'll probably do (hour subway ride from the Ferry to Staten Island; 30-40 minutes or so from midtown).

In some ways I feel the same way about Yankee Stadium and the Bronx Zoo. If you've got just one day, Manhattan has PLENTY. No need to mess with the boroughs.

I agree about the doing Staten Island ferry. It's a great view of the city and is a cheap way to get a good look at the Skyline and the Statute of Liberty from reasonably close.

You won't be too far from the 9-11 stuff when you get off the boat back from Staten Island.

If you want to blow a lot of money on one meal, I'm partial to the Gramercy Tavern.
    Stick to your guns.

you're probably right about the cloisters chili. we used to blow off high school and go into the city and that was one of our favorite places to go. then again, I was 16 and very stupid.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    For example, my wife had relatives who immigrated into the city and lived as very poor people in the garment district. So, for us, the Lower East Side Tenament museum was fascinating. Some others might say, wtf would you go there?
    I love the Lower East Side Tenament Museum. That was a real stop-gap place for me to take people when they visited. Really cool that you had kind of a connection to it too.

That's a neat little part of Manhattan to see -- weird mix of old squallor (especially when you've just left the museum and are feeling all immigranty) and new hipsterdom. Some great bars around there and good places to eat too. Schiller's Liquor Bar is a relatively new good foodie place; that's very close. There's also a restaurant near Max Fish called Grilled Cheese, which serves many types of Grilled Cheese and only many types of grilled cheese.

Apart from the Tenament Museum and maybe Schiller's, these are not things I'd recommend for a day trip...but it gives you and idea of the specificity of the things out there.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    you're probably right about the cloisters chili. we used to blow off high school and go into the city and that was one of our favorite places to go. then again, I was 16 and very stupid.
    A friend of mine from NY at my HS told us about it and we did the same thing. Great spot, it was a little scary though at the time. It is fine to visit now. You should visit it next time.
    Chili is entitled to his opinion, but the New York restoration project really cleaned up the area in the middle/late 90s. Just as Times Square was cleaned up (to me it is so reductive and materialistic now - blech), many other parts of NYC were invested in and regained their former glory.

If you have money to burn and want to hit a phenomenal restaurant...two words: Il Mulino. Not sure if you can still get reservations. And if you can, it will only be at 5 or 10 or awful hours like that. But it is a great eating experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Where do you take the train in from?
    I went to HS and College in different counties north of NYC, had an old girlfriend in western Connecticut, and another old girlfriend in Bergen County, NJ. Still have family in Connecticut and New York. So I Took the train in for the day from those different points.

This is helpful. I've lived in Manhattan for about 30 years and I haven't been to most of these places. Sounds like fun. I'd stay away from Times Square though, all tourists and Bridge and Tunnel people.

I'd be careful around the Empire State Building too:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...de_horror.html

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    and is Mickey Mantle's restaurant worth the trip???
    I would say no. Nothing special about the place and the prices are outrageous.

Turn Off Ads?