Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New York City for a day

New York City for a day

So I'm going to be in NYC for a day (April 28th). I tried writing down what I didn't want to miss, but since I've never been there before, I thought I'd see what RedZoners suggest. What should I try to get to (using public transportation) while there?
    Thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New York City for a day

You need at least two.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I know. I'd like to stay a week, but all we've got is 1 day. I have a subway map. Wow--much more complex than DC's.
    But what do I absolutely HAVE to hit?

Quote Originally Posted by ABEsolutely View Post
    I know. I'd like to stay a week, but all we've got is 1 day. I have a subway map. Wow--much more complex than DC's.
    But what do I absolutely HAVE to hit?
    I'd say Times Square should be your No. 1 spot if you want the NY experience. In two-three hours, you can see all of it and even hit up some of the stores there.

The Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island is very cool, but it will kill too much of your time and you won't be able to see much else of the city if you go there.

The subways are definitely the way to get around the city.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I'd say Times Square should be your No. 1 spot if you want the NY experience. In two-three hours, you can see all of it and even hit up some of the stores there.

The Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island is very cool, but it will kill too much of your time and you won't be able to see much else of the city if you go there.

The subways are definitely the way to get around the city.
    Cool. Good to know. I figured the Statue of Liberty would take too much time. I'm sure I can get a good picture of it from somewhere else without having to actually ferry over there.
    We're being dropped off in Rockefeller Center at 7am or so. We're planning on getting an all-day subway pass, but I can't find out when the pass starts for the day. In DC, you couldn't use it until 9:30. I'm sure we could walk around there until we can use our passes.

All seriousness - take the Red 1 Subway Line (South Ferry). Get off the subway, walk to the Staten Island Ferry - the Ferry comes within photo distance of the Statue of Liberty on the right hand side. Get off the ferry, turnaround, and take the ferry back to Manhattan. Lady Liberty is on the left.

...especially if there's much to do around there. Times Square is pretty close to Rockefeller Center isn't it?

Subway passes go to 3am the following morning after you've broken it in.

go to mta.info for NYC subway info.

...especially if there's much to do around there. Times Square is pretty close to Rockefeller Center isn't it?
    Rockefeller is at 48-52, Times Square is at 42-44

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    All seriousness - take the Red 1 Subway Line (South Ferry). Get off the subway, walk to the Staten Island Ferry - the Ferry comes within photo distance of the Statue of Liberty on the right hand side. Get off the ferry, turnaround, and take the ferry back to Manhattan. Lady Liberty is on the left.
    What's on Staten Island? Anything worth seeing? I see there's a blue line that goes the length of the island.

Yeah, so I think we're going to be overwhelmed for one day. We should sleep well on the ride home.
    2 more questions:
    -Is the Empire State Building worth it?
    -Central Park - is there a "best" part of it?

What's on Staten Island? Anything worth seeing? I see there's a blue line that goes the length of the island.
    There is nothing on SI worth your time. I guess, since you have limited time, you should hit the spots where your interests lie.

Food: Make reservations now if you want to go to a really good restaurant.

Museums: Tons of great museums.

Historical Sights: Wall Street, Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty

Shopping: 5th Avenue, SoHo

Ethnic: Little Italy, Chinatown

Touristy Stuff: Empire State Building, Times Square, Grand Central, Rock Center, Central Park

Sports: Yankees/Red Sox on the 28th

Go to Yankee stadium. They play Boston that day, so tickets may be hard to come by. You don't have to watch the whole game.They're building a new stadium soon, so you should check it out before it's gone. It's definitely worth a look around because all of the history tied up to that place.

Thanks for the help guys. I definitely thought about Yankee Stadium and even Shea. Thankfully my wife loves baseball too (and the Reds--yes I know I'm fortunate) and she's OK with whatever. If I happen to get to that game, I'm sure I'll be the only one with Reds stuff on.
    She also likes nice restaurants, so I'll definitely take your suggestion seriously, edabbs.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    There is nothing on SI worth your time. I guess, since you have limited time, you should hit the spots where your interests lie.

Food: Make reservations now if you want to go to a really good restaurant.

Museums: Tons of great museums.

Historical Sights: Wall Street, Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty

Shopping: 5th Avenue, SoHo

Ethnic: Little Italy, Chinatown

Touristy Stuff: Empire State Building, Times Square, Grand Central, Rock Center, Central Park

Sports: Yankees/Red Sox on the 28th
    Sounds good (minus the shopping--I'll just go ahead and forget to mention the shopping to the wife)

Turn Off Ads?