Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New York City for a day

Re: New York City for a day

Quote Originally Posted by ABEsolutely View Post
    So I'm going to be in NYC for a day (April 28th). I tried writing down what I didn't want to miss, but since I've never been there before, I thought I'd see what RedZoners suggest. What should I try to get to (using public transportation) while there?
    Thanks
    How about a handsome cab ride around Central Park? I bet the wife would love it and I think they only take you around for 20-30 minutes. There are tons of them available on Central Park South.

Times Square is a must. Just to take it in. Buy something off a street vendor, duck into a store that interest you, grab a slice. Whatever.

The ferry idea sounded good. Make sure to visit the WTC site if you get down to that end of NYC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    What are your interests
    Baseball, of course, and I guess mostly the touristy things. I've done the normal tourist spots in other cities and been disappointed in some, so I was just trying to get a feel for what's can't-miss (especially since I only have a day).

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I do think that Times Square is a must see. Preferably at night for the lights and stuff, esp. if you've never been to Vegas, Tokyo, Hong Kong, or somewhere with that many lights (which I have not).
    In some ways I feel the same way about Yankee Stadium and the Bronx Zoo. If you've got just one day, Manhattan has PLENTY. No need to mess with the boroughs.
    We're meeting back at the Marriott Marquis at 8pm. It looks like there are still some cheap seats for the Yankee game (3:55pm). We'd really like to catch the game. You don't think we should try?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    I'd be careful around the Empire State Building too:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...de_horror.html
    Yikes--I'll keep my head up..

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    How about a handsome cab ride around Central Park? I bet the wife would love it and I think they only take you around for 20-30 minutes. There are tons of them available on Central Park South.

Times Square is a must. Just to take it in. Buy something off a street vendor, duck into a store that interest you, grab a slice. Whatever.

The ferry idea sounded good. Make sure to visit the WTC site if you get down to that end of NYC.
    Thanks for your suggestions

Ex-Tree

Two summers ago, my family went to NYC as part of a Northeast road trip. We were in NYC for 24 hours, and here's how we played it. Keep in mind that my two kiddos were 7 and 8 at the time, so that limited some of our choices.

1 PM: Drove into New Jersey, stopped off at Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty. Round trip on the ferry took about 3 hours. Couldn't get into the Statue, because all the tickets had been given for the day. Kind of a bummer.

4 PM: Drove our blue Saturn into Manhattan. Only car on the island that wasn't a Yellow Cab. Only English speaker as well--most drivers were very familiar with their horn, however. A little noisy, extremely stressful.

5 PM: Crashed at our Days Inn digs in Manhattan. Fairly small, about $225 for the night--but the room came with a discount for the parking garage across the street. Only $25 for overnight parking!

6 PM: Headed for the subway, and up to the Bronx for Yankees/D-Rays. Bleacher seats are $12 (and you could bring in your own food), and the natives were extremely kind (much to my relief) once they saw the kids. Looked on us as a bit of a curiousity, since we were Reds fans. Casey Fossum dominated the Pinstripers (shockingly).

10 PM: Returned to Manhattan on the subway. Not a bad trip.

8 AM: Hiked to the Empire State Building at its opening. Short lines in the morning, but the haze kinda killed any opportunities at great photography. Still very cool.

10 AM: Subwayed a few blocks to Central Park for a walk around. Gorgeous.

11:30 AM: Raced back to the Days Inn, just in time for the noon check out.

12:30 PM: Had lunch at a deli, just outside the hotel. $5.50 for a sandwich, drink, and chips. That's a great deal.

All in all, had a great time. And ended any stereotypes I had about New Yorkers. Very friendly and helpful. Even walking around Manhattan late at night, I never felt unsafe. Go, but leave the car somewhere!
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Well it looks like the Yankees game is out. The NYC trip is THIS weekend, not next. I just found out today. I'm glad I asked. And I'm glad I mentioned this a week early (or so I thought).

It sounds like a great time, Rex, but we're kind of hoping to get as many little trips like this in BEFORE kids. I've been pretty sheltered in my lifetime. Trips to Cincinnati to see the Reds were always huge. Then we got married a year-and-a-half ago and have been taking small getaways to see more of the country (at least the eastern half) before the kids come along. We've been to Pigeon Forge, West Palm Beach, DC, and now NYC. San Francisco's the #1 spot on my list, but I think that will have to wait a long while...

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Argos View Post
    Go, but leave the car somewhere!

This is the BEST piece of advice on the thread, and I thought it went without saying. Do not drive into Manhattan.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ABEsolutely View Post
    Baseball, of course, and I guess mostly the touristy things. I've done the normal tourist spots in other cities and been disappointed in some, so I was just trying to get a feel for what's can't-miss (especially since I only have a day).
    Well, just to give a shout-out to some beautiful landmarks that people haven't mentioned: Grand Central Station (not much to do around it but chain restaurants and stuff, but beautiful to see), Trinity Church downtown, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Washington Square Park (someone did mention this, but it bears repeating; in beautiful weather it's incomparable, and a nice area to walk around as well, with little shops and a couple of old side streets that look like old France; also close to Two Boots Pizza which is an institution), the Public Library (if there's one great building in New York that ALL TOURISTS miss, it's the Library -- with the famous lions outside -- every corner breathtakingly beautiful and FREE, and right next to Bryant Park), the Boathouse at Central Park, Union Square for the street performers alone, and the Theater district.

As far as baseball goes...if the Yankees are away, the Mets are in town. Shea is nearly as great an experience as Yankee Stadium is; the fans are great, and it's a quick shot into Flushing on the 7 express train. If you can't make it, though, I'd still stop in some of the Yankees club stores. You can find neat little trinkets there, and it's fun to ogle the more expensive stuff There are about four or five of them -- on in Times Square and my old last-minute ticket purchase place on 59th between Park and Lexington, I think (very close to Fifth Avenue shopping).

I think the Empire State building is worth it, just get there early. I'm in agreement with those who say the Staten Island Ferry because it's a great (and, again, free) way to see the Statue of Liberty. It can be time-consuming, but plan ahead so as not to wait for the ferry and you should be able to squeeze it in. The best way to see the Statue of Liberty, in my opinion, is to go to Brooklyn and walk up and down the Brooklyn Promenade. The neighborhood is gorgeous (all those old brownstones) and vibrant, and the view of the Statue, the skyline and the brooklyn Bridge (which ends there) is incomparable. But you likely won't have time for that unfortunately. Brooklyn is quite a destination in itself -- Coney Island, Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Museum, the Brooklyn Historical society, the neighborhoods, the pizza...someday maybe
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 04-17-2007 at 08:13 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Well, just to give a shout-out to some beautiful landmarks that people haven't mentioned: Grand Central Station (not much to do around it but chain restaurants and stuff, but beautiful to see), Trinity Church downtown, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Washington Square Park (someone did mention this, but it bears repeating; in beautiful weather it's incomparable, and a nice area to walk around as well, with little shops and a couple of old side streets that look like old France; also close to Two Boots Pizza which is an institution), the Public Library (if there's one great building in New York that ALL TOURISTS miss, it's the Library -- with the famous lions outside -- every corner breathtakingly beautiful and FREE, and right next to Bryant Park), the Boathouse at Central Park, Union Square for the street performers alone, and the Theater district.
    I guess I'm not "people"?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    There is nothing on SI worth your time. I guess, since you have limited time, you should hit the spots where your interests lie.

Touristy Stuff: Empire State Building, Times Square, Grand Central, Rock Center, Central Park
    Some others:

St Pat's, Greenwich Village, seeing a Broadway show, having a near-death experience in a taxi.
    VP is right..there isn't much directly around Grand Central to do, but it is only a short walk from Times Square/Rock Center.

Also, there are some phenomenal restaurants in that area, not just chains. Sparks Steak House (where Gotti had Castellano killed, for any mafia historians), Smith & Wollensky, Capital Grille, Fresco by Scotto and a plethora of highly rated sushi places are all within walking distance.

I guess I'm not "people"?
    I have a short-term memory especially when a lot of words are being thrown aroudn.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Awesome.. thanks guys/gals. I'm printing this thread and studying it. I'll let you know how it all goes.
    Your info is invaluable!

Turn Off Ads?