Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Inconsistent messages?

Inconsistent messages?

Narron says they are going to pick their spots with Hamilton to give him the best chance for success. This while he's red-hot.

But with Ross... they are going to stick with him because (to paraphrase) you can't come out of a slump on the bench.

Anyone else think this is a little inconsistent?

TODAY'S ENQ NOTEBOOK

STICKING WITH ROSS: Reds manager Jerry Narron said he'll consider giving third catcher Chad Moeller a start some time this week, but David Ross is going to continue to get the bulk of the playing time.

"It's a possibility," Narron said. "We're trying to get David Ross on track. It's not going to happen for him sitting on the bench."

Ross is hitting .085. He struck out three times in three at-bats Sunday, giving him 12 in 24 at-bats.

The fact he caught a shutout lessened the blow of the bad day at the plate.

"I feel good about today," he said. "You don't say that often after taking the hat trick."

Ross is not the only Red struggling.

The Reds are hitting .226 as a team and are 10th in the National League in runs scored.

They're hitting .198 against left-handers.

"It's early," Narron said. "We need to swing the bats. It's as simple as that. We'll come out of it and start hitting.

"The weather hasn't been good - the whole bit. It's not easy to hit in 30-degree weather."
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Inconsistent messages?

Problem is, if you don't play Ross, who do you play? Javy's the Venus De Milo behind the plate and he can't hit lefties. If he plays against the brew Crew they're going to steal him blind. Moeller's a dud as a hitter but his defense is supposedly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

It's not easy to hit in 30 degree weather?
    Are we the only team playing in cold weather? Sounds like a cop out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver62 View Post
    No, and there are a lot of teams not scoring very many runs.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Driver62 View Post
    No, but offense is down across baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Narron says they are going to pick their spots with Hamilton to give him the best chance for success. This while he's red-hot.

But with Ross... they are going to stick with him because (to paraphrase) you can't come out of a slump on the bench.

Not in the least bit. You have one player who has major league seasons under his belt and a track record, the other player has been out of professional baseball for a couple of years and only a handful of major league at-bats. Two totally different situations.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Not in the least bit. You have one player who has major league seasons under his belt and a track record, the other player has been out of professional baseball for a couple of years and only a handful of major league at-bats. Two totally different situations.
    True... but one could argue that Ross' success is only SLIGHTLY more tenured than Hamilton's. It's not like prior to last year Ross was a hitting machine.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

True... but one could argue that Ross' success is only SLIGHTLY more tenured than Hamilton's. It's not like prior to last year Ross was a hitting machine.
    Ross has spent time in the majors in 7 different seasons, has 695 at-bats, and pretty much spent last season as a starting catcher. Hamilton has a total of 17 major league at-bats and spent two years out of the game altogether. I would call that a huge difference. You're approach to these two players as a manager is going to be quite different.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Ross won the starting job hands down last year. Hamilton will probably do the same this year, but he hasn't yet.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

True, but Ross spent a good part of 2006 hitting and hitting well.

Hamilton has had 2 good games.

No. Ross is a starter (?); Hamilton is not.

That said, I sure hope David Ross gets it going pretty soon.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Narron does what he thinks is right. But that doesn't mean he does those things because of the reasons he cites.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?