Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

  1. #1
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,510

    Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Lonnie Wheeler, Cincinnati Post

    Krivsky was willing to make that exchange on the basis that his principles, which blend nicely with Narron's, involve winning with pitching and defense. They're sound principles, and will not be disputed here.
    But will they bring the folks back to the fold? In this age of home run highlights and video-game sensibilities, can a team draw - can a franchise prosper - with an emphasis on pitching and defense?


    "It's a good question to mull over," said Castellini. "But wins are where you have to start. Whatever your game plan is, you're after the W. You can't just be after crowd-pleasing home runs all the time. You've got to win.

    "Some of the greatest thrills I've ever had in my life, as a spectator, were watching those walk-off home runs. Are you kidding me? You can't get a better thrill than that. But I think a fan would rather go home winning 2-1 than losing 9-8. In Cincinnati, they've been at it for a long time. They don't like to be had. You'll get excitement for a winner.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    You know his story Redsland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    7,714

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    If Castellini were single…and my age…and a woman…

    Makes all the routine posts.

  4. #3
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    "It's a good question to mull over," said Castellini. "But wins are where you have to start. Whatever your game plan is, you're after the W. You can't just be after crowd-pleasing home runs all the time. You've got to win.

    "Some of the greatest thrills I've ever had in my life, as a spectator, were watching those walk-off home runs. Are you kidding me? You can't get a better thrill than that. But I think a fan would rather go home winning 2-1 than losing 9-8. In Cincinnati, they've been at it for a long time. They don't like to be had. You'll get excitement for a winner.
    Outstanding stuff, Castellini has fans down to a science. Way to go Big Bobper!!!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  5. #4
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,792

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    But I think a fan would rather go home winning 2-1 than losing 9-8. In Cincinnati, they've been at it for a long time. They don't like to be had. You'll get excitement for a winner.
    I'd rather go home winning 6-1. The results of 1-run games are mostly based on luck.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  6. #5
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,942

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'd rather go home winning 6-1. The results of 1-run games are mostly based on luck.
    I'd rather go home from a game with a blond on one arm and a brunette on the other after having had free beer all game and a foot massage during the 7th inning stretch while sitting in box seats as players pile their game-used swag in the trunk of my aston martin db9...

    But since that really only happens to me maybe 3 to 4 times out of ten trips to GABP, i'll take winning 2-1 over losing 9-8.

    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #6
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,021

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'd rather go home winning 6-1. The results of 1-run games are mostly based on luck.
    Not the point.

  8. #7
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,155

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'd rather go home winning 6-1. The results of 1-run games are mostly based on luck.
    I agree. There seems to be some sort of general perception that if you win 9-8 you got lucky, but if you win 2-1 you somehow earned it.

    It's the same.

    Those 6-1 games are the ones that say you're a better team.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  9. #8
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,193

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    If Castellini were single…and my age…and a woman…
    The problem with you, Redsland, is that you are too close-minded.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  10. #9
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Outstanding stuff, Castellini has fans down to a science. Way to go Big Bobper!!!
    I need more $1 Hot Dogs Mr. C !!!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  11. #10
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'd rather go home from a game with a blond on one arm and a brunette on the other after having had free beer all game and a foot massage during the 7th inning stretch while sitting in box seats as players pile their game-used swag in the trunk of my aston martin db9...

    But since that really only happens to me maybe 3 to 4 times out of ten trips to GABP, i'll take winning 2-1 over losing 9-8.

    Ohhh I see how you are... Excluding Red Heads!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  12. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,414

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Ohhh I see how you are... Excluding Red Heads!
    Dont mind Jojo, he is a Hater! :

  13. #12
    Member harangatang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,550

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Lonnie Wheeler, Cincinnati Post

    Krivsky was willing to make that exchange on the basis that his principles, which blend nicely with Narron's, involve winning with pitching and defense. They're sound principles, and will not be disputed here.
    But will they bring the folks back to the fold? In this age of home run highlights and video-game sensibilities, can a team draw - can a franchise prosper - with an emphasis on pitching and defense?


    "It's a good question to mull over," said Castellini. "But wins are where you have to start. Whatever your game plan is, you're after the W. You can't just be after crowd-pleasing home runs all the time. You've got to win.

    "Some of the greatest thrills I've ever had in my life, as a spectator, were watching those walk-off home runs. Are you kidding me? You can't get a better thrill than that. But I think a fan would rather go home winning 2-1 than losing 9-8. In Cincinnati, they've been at it for a long time. They don't like to be had. You'll get excitement for a winner.
    You know tonight's game was more exciting than Sunday's game even though the Reds lost tonight and won on Sunday. Sure the Reds lost tonight but there were 16 runs scored in between the 2 teams. Sunday's game featured all of 1 RUN BETWEEN THE TWO TEAMS! It looks good on the stats page to have the Reds with a .500 road trip but as far as entertainment goes...BLECH... If Castellini wants to bring in the casual fan he's not going to be bringing in alot without an offensive explosion. And it appears that ain't going to happen...

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dont mind Jojo, he is a Hater! :
    Cut the guy some slack! After all, the man only has two arms! :

    Rem

  15. #14
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    If Castellini wants to bring in the casual fan he's not going to be bringing in alot without an offensive explosion. And it appears that ain't going to happen...
    Ummm...we've had an explosive offense for the past number of year up until now and attendence amoungst the casual fan did not increase. I think we've shown that lots of runs doesn't equate to much in terms of wins or attendence.

    Casual fans want entertainment. Because everybody's definition of what is an entertaining game differs (lots of runs, close games, pitchers duel, blow out) why not focus on the one thing that most people really find entertaining on some level: a winning team?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  16. #15
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,942

    Re: Castellini on the "pitching and defense" approach

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dont mind Jojo, he is a Hater! :
    My wife is a redhead....already got that one covered....

    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25